Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default CC @ State College* / Good cop encounter

*Changed title from PSU to State College*

It was State Patty's Day this weekend up at PSU and I was there.
    I had just gotten my LTCF on Friday, so I was giddy to finally get the chance to carry.

Saturday was the big day and I'm walking around carrying a case of beer to go to my friends house. A cop stops me, asks if I'm 21 and sober. (They were handing out citations all day to anyone they could) He asks for my ID, so I hand him my DL and LTCF (In before 'OMG DON'T TALK TO POLICE' and 'PA isn't a duty to inform state') And the cop looks at it, and says,
    'Congratulations on exercising your rights as an American. Have a good night.'

So it was a good experience, minus the pain in my back from driving with my gun, I need to find a better position for it.
    Last edited by SAB215; February 28th, 2011 at 06:51 PM.

Default Re: CC @ PSU / Good cop encounter

Glad you had a good encounter. As for better location try between 330 and 4 with a holster similar to a cross breed supertuck. Congrats on taking your personal safety as important.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    Saturday was the big day and I'm walking around carrying a case of beer to go to my friends house. A cop stops me, asks if I'm 21 and sober. (They were handing out citations all day to anyone they could) He asks for my ID, so I hand him my DL and LTCF (In before 'OMG DON'T TALK TO POLICE' and 'PA isn't a duty to inform state') And the cop looks at it, and says,
    Glad he was friendly and supportive, but there are numerous points of irony leading up to his response.

You're lucky. Being an out-of-towner, with beer, and identifying that you were carrying on a holiday that is hated by more or less everyone in emergency services up in State College.

I wouldn't have informed yesterday, period. It would have been asking to be hassled, given a sobriety check for "public drunkenness" had you gotten the wrong police officer (and yes, they do exist up in SC). You got lucky.

(Chester County)

lol that's all i have to say. ill say 3-4:30 is the best place to carry in any holster really definitely comfy in the car with both my cross breed super tuck iwb and my don hume owb.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Centre County)

It was State Patty's Day this weekend up at PSU and I was there...
    Saturday was the big day and I'm walking around carrying a case of beer to go to my friends house. A cop stops me..., so I hand him my DL and LTCF ... And the cop looks at it, and says,

So it was a good experience...
    I'm guessing this didn't happen "at PSU." If it did, it wouldn't have been as good an experience.

(Centre County)

Out of curiosity, is someone carrying a case of beer lawful cause to stop, identify, and request proof of age?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bricktop View Post
    Out of curiosity, is someone carrying a case of beer lawful cause to stop, identify, and request proof of age?
    Of course. You are exercising your Constitutional Rights as an American by providing your papers for inspection.

(Northampton County)

Saturday was the big day and I'm walking around carrying a case of beer to go to my friends house. A cop stops me, asks if I'm 21 and sober. (They were handing out citations all day to anyone they could) He asks for my ID, so I hand him my DL and LTCF

First congratulations on obtaining your LTCF. But It seems that you are so eager to show it off, I found this for you. This will Insure that your LTCF Is conveniently displayed.

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Busine.../dp/B0007IQEY6

(Butler County)

The proper response to "are you 21 and sober" is "yes and yes."

Upon being asked for ID, the correct response is "Am I free to leave?" And if the answer is "no," the correct response is to give the cop your name (verbally) and tell them that you are then asserting your right to remain silent and not be questioned outside the presence of an attorney. They detain or arrest you, then and only then inform them you are lawfully carrying a firearm.

I suppose one might be able to make a case for RAS exists to card (on foot) a young person carrying beer thru State College on/near St. Patty's day. I don't think it is, but I'm not a cop.

I'm one of those people who does not advocate (generally) a blanket refusal to talk to police. That said, I, in that situation, would have given them the total silent treatment and flipped on the voice recorder, because it's not like there are not enough visible freaking drunkards up there on any given weekend where they have to be hassling people just walking around.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast