Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waiting period?

(Delaware County)

Default Waiting period?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I am new here.

I am looking to purchase my first rifle in the next few days from a local dealer, and I am wondering if I will be able to walk out with my rifle the same day or if there is some sort of waiting period. I realize I could probably just ask the shop, but I figure I should have at least some idea what to expect before I go in.

I currently do not have any certifications or licences in my name, but I do not have any criminal record or anything like that and I have shot numerous guns from .22s all the way up to a breech loaded .50 BMG rifle, just none that I personally own.

If it matters this is for a semi-auto .22LR, nothing serious, either a remington 597 or mossberg plinkster. A Garand or M1A is next though.

Thanks for helping out the noob, cant wait to be a true gun owner, instead of just having my marlin .22 mag in my dads name.

Default Re: Waiting period?

As long as you have a Pa. license and pass a PICS check you walk out the door with either a rifle or a handgun

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen567 View Post
    Thanks for helping out the noob, cant wait to be a true gun owner, instead of just having my marlin .22 mag in my dads name.
    That Marlin isn't in your dad's (or anyone else's) name, at least not in this state. There is no gun registration in Pennsylvania, though the State Police maintains a database of handgun transfers of dubious legality. In PA it is legal to transfer a long gun to any other PA resident whom you don't have reason to believe is prohibited from owning it (felon, etc.) with no paperwork. Handguns must go through an FFL who will perform a background check on the recipient, but even there transfers between parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren, and spouses are exempt as long as both are PA residents and the recipient is not prohibited.

The PICS background check takes a couple of minutes, and unless you have a record or they get you confused with someone else (e.g., same name) you'll walk out with the gun(s) of your choice. The only other requirement is that you can pay for them. The process is far more complex and time-consuming for NFA items, but I assume you're not looking for machine guns -- for now.
    Last edited by donm; February 27th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    , but I assume you're not looking for machine guns -- for now.
    This. Next year I turn 21 so I will begin the process of getting my CCW and Class III, I live right down the road from targetmaster so having a local class III dealer is nice. Good to know that I will be OK, as far as I know my record is clean, I have a disorderly conduct ticket from a traffic stop that I didn't think I deserved and 2 speeding tickets, but that is all.

This. Next year I turn 21 so I will begin the process of getting my CCW and Class III, I live right down the road from targetmaster so having a local class III dealer is nice. Good to know that I will be OK, as far as I know my record is clean, I have a disorderly conduct ticket from a traffic stop that I didn't think I deserved and 2 speeding tickets, but that is all.
    Erm, well here we go again.

There is no class III license for a gun owner, only dealers can get them.

For each SBR, Full Auto or any other item classified as an NFA item you will have to send in an application, fingerprints, photos and $200. If approved you then get a tax stamp that is good for that weapon and that weapon only.

(Northampton County)

Driver's license? Check

Clean background? Check

The only waiting period is about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy your new gun.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Erm, well here we go again.

There is no class III license for a gun owner, only dealers can get them.

For each SBR, Full Auto or any other item classified as an NFA item you will have to send in an application, fingerprints, photos and $200. If approved you then get a tax stamp that is good for that weapon and that weapon only.
    Very helpful, thanks!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    Driver's license? Check

Clean background? Check

The only waiting period is about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy your new gun.
    Even that's a little off. You don't need a driver's license, you need a state-issued photo ID. It just so happens that the most common of these is a driver's license.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    . Handguns must go through an FFL who will perform a background check on the recipient
    not true. Someone 18+ can purchase a firearm and have the Sheriff transfer it. You only need to be 21+ for an FFL purchase on a firearm

I think everyone is missing that the OP is under 21. Please confirm that someone can purchase from an FFL for a long gun. I thought an FFL purchase is an FFL purchase, firearm or long gun.

OP, PA doesn't issue a CCW. It's a LTCF and there several differences.
    Last edited by BimmerJon; February 27th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

(Centre County)

An 18 year old CAN purchase a long arm from a FFL. An 18 year old CANNOT purchase a handgun from a FFL. An 18 year old CAN purchase a handgun from a private party but the transfer has to take place at a sheriffs office.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast