Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 For Deer?

Default Re: .223 For Deer?

"I feel its much deadlier than a bow, and with proper shot placement, and tracking ability could be fun to hunt with that rifle."

Sorry I couldn't disagree with this statement more.. A rifle is easier to use it is not automatically more deadly.. A bow shot deer with proper shot placement will drop quicker then many rifle shots.. A 22 caliber bullet that doesn't strike something solid is going to cause far less damage then a broadhead.. Now that being said I would have no issue with a skilled hunter using a 223 for deer under one condition.. The condition is that he was willing to track the deer no matter how hard the tracking was.. The caliber can easily do the job but there is also a good chance that if the animal doesn't instantly drop that the blood trail may be very poor.

(Jefferson County)

Been without internet all weekend, so I'm just getting to this.

Bullet placement is what matters most. I have a younger female cousin that uses a .222 Remington for deer. She has used it since she was 12, which was 19 years ago. My oldest female cousin also used that very same rifle when she was young, in late 70's to early 80's. Never was the gun's limited bore diameter a a factor because they(my cousins) put the bullets where they need to be.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

I shot my first Buck with a .22 Hornet under the tutalage of some VERY expirenced hunters.
    The bottom line in ALL cases of hunting is SHOT PLACEMENT.
    I take issue with the over 30 yard Archery shots, the 100 yard plus Slug gun shots or too many over 50 yard shots with ANY kind of a muzzle loader.
    It's important to learn the habits of your quarry,set yourself up accordingaly and make the first shot count.
    Archery shots?
    A 20 yard shot is my personal max!

I have taken dozens of deer with the 223. Matter of fact I have taken 22 hogs with one of them the last 2 nights I went out. It is a very capable and quick killing bullet. I have lots of proof with a 55gr. v-max, and 75gr BTHP in an AR-15. These are not just head shots either, most are running shots and are very lethal. If you would like to see for yourself look at georgiahogcontrol.com. We now use 223 and no other caliber. If you can shoot it doesn't matter whats in your hands just hit where you are looking.

I would rather use a .223 than a 30-30 any day. Yes the bullet is small but it's also flying at 3000+ fps. Buy the right bullet and they will drop a deer no problem. In my opinion the 30-30 is way more useless.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I would rather use a .223 than a 30-30 any day. Yes the bullet is small but it's also flying at 3000+ fps. Buy the right bullet and they will drop a deer no problem. In my opinion the 30-30 is way more useless.
    Really? Different strokes I guess. My 30.30 has never failed to drop a deer within 30 yards, most in their tracks. All of my deer have been taken under 100 yards. I'd estimate 20-25 deer.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Really? Different strokes I guess. My 30.30 has never failed to drop a deer within 30 yards, most in their tracks. All of my deer have been taken under 100 yards. I'd estimate 20-25 deer.
    My Grandson has taken a deer for the last 6 years with a .30-30 with no problems whatever.
    Once again, disapline, pick your shot.
    I offered the lad a Model 70 in .30-'06 this year but he declined in favor of the Marlin.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    My Grandson has taken a deer for the last 6 years with a .30-30 with no problems whatever.
    Once again, disapline, pick your shot.
    I offered the lad a Model 70 in .30-'06 this year but he declined in favor of the Marlin.
    I believe the 30-30, 30.06, and 270 to be the top three most popular whitetail calibers in PA. There are a ton of us who would never lay their beloved lever down.

(Cumberland County)

while the 223 will kill deer it is not the best choice for hunting them and borders on foolish.

(Cumberland County)

in the 70's and 80's the legal min. cal. was .24 for big game in pa.
    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Been without internet all weekend, so I'm just getting to this.

Bullet placement is what matters most. I have a younger female cousin that uses a .222 Remington for deer. She has used it since she was 12, which was 19 years ago. My oldest female cousin also used that very same rifle when she was young, in late 70's to early 80's. Never was the gun's limited bore diameter a a factor because they(my cousins) put the bullets where they need to be.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast