Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Question ?? Do I need to transfer a "returned to manufacturer" receiver?

I had to return (for repair) a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 a few weeks ago due to some Out of Battery issues.

Anyway, S&W called me to say they had to replace the bottom of the receiver which would now cause the rifle to have a NEW serial number. They shipped it back to my local FFL and I needed to do a transfer. Not so bad.

My question is this... If I had to do a transfer FROM S&W to make the "powers that be" happy, then what about the OLD receiver (gun)? I just figured that receiver would need to be transferred to S&W in reverse similarity.

Any of you FFL's here have some light to shed on this. Thanks.

I already did the transfer of the NEW receiver today, but the local dealer didn't seem to concerned about the old receiver when I asked.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Centre County)

Default Re: ?? Do I need to transfer a "returned to manufacturer" receiver?

S&W will have it in their bound book as being received from you or your FFL (whoever sent it to them) and will show in the disposition what they did with it (probably destroyed and remelted). This is all they need to do. As for the paperwork you filled out originally (when you first bought the gun and before you sent it back), the only paperwork is the ATF form 4473, which stays with the FFL. There is nothing else you need to do. After 20 years the FFL can keep the old forms or he can destroy them.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member