Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Looking for a compact (~4" barrel) 1911

I'm new to the 1911 world. I own a glock 23 and decided I'd also like a 1911. I have a small frame and the g23 is as big as I want carry. I prefer that size. I held a couple 1911s at Gander Mountain and decided I like a commander length slide and an officer frame. I think that would make it just about the size of my glock. The only 1911 I have found appearing to be what I'm looking for is Kimber's Compact Stainless. I found that Springfield used to make a such a 1911. My price limit is around $900. So can any of you 1911 guys point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for a compact (~4" barrel) 1911

What you are describing is a CCO - a Commander barrel on an Officer's Frame. It's an excellent choice for CCW. The price point limits the choices available for new guns, but you could possibly find a used Colt. I think Sig has a similar size, the RCS, but am not sure.

Others make them but it would be tough finding one for less than a grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    What you are describing is a CCO - a Commander barrel on an Officer's Frame. It's an excellent choice for CCW. The price point limits the choices available for new guns, but you could possibly find a used Colt. I think Sig has a similar size, the RCS, but am not sure.

Others make them but it would be tough finding one for less than a grand.
    Thanks for telling me about CCO type 1911s. I found the Sig model you mentioned. I also found STI makes a CCO as well. The Kimber has an alloy frame while STI and Sig make stainless steel framed models. Now to reseach alloy vs steel frames. That Sig Compact Stainless looks nice.

I love my Sig 1911 Gov't, but for what you want, I think you might be better of with a Kimber Super Carry Pro. I've heard positive reviews and that it carries easier than most Officer's 1911s. The bobtail is also a nice feature if you have small hands, because you can get slim grips made for bobtailed guns and have a great carry 1911 and that you won't mind taking to the range and shooting the shit out of.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

If this is for carry, and you are used to carrying a Glock, trust me, you want an alloy frame. Yes, Sig makes this configuration in two models. The C3 is the regular production piece and the RCS is run through their custom shop for a melt job (about $70 more than the C3). I have an RCS as an EDC and love it.

The only other one that I'm aware of in a true CCO configuration (4.25" barrel) at your price point, would be the S&W 1911ES. There is the Dan Wesson CCO, but this will be about $400 - $500 more than you want to pay.

Hope this helps.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

I've read reviews that talk about alloy frames with premature wear. I think they were Kimber 1911s. Do Sigs have that issue? That RCS Nitron is an awesome looking 1911. I bet it balances and points nice. Retails for $1113.

The RCS Nitron was just about my choice after a multi-week Internet researching fandango and then fondling the ones on the short list. Then I got my hands on a Dan Wesson CCO - oops, a bit over budget but absolutely no comparison.

I am not suggesting you destroy the bank account - it all depends on how much leeway you have and how good a deal you can get on the DW if interested.

(Monroe County)

All aluminum alloy framed guns will wear faster than steel guns, its just the way physics works, they are not meant for range use , they are meant to be lighweight carry guns, not for taking to the range often and shoot hundred of of rounds through them, if you do that you will see drastic wear no matter what lube you use, if it is going to be a carry gun i would get the alloy framed, this is my Para ord LTC when it is on my waist to be honest sometimes i dont feel, yes you are looking in the right direction , those commander guns are extremely easy to carry, mine weighs 28 ozs empty as opposed to 39 -40 on a fullsize steel gun.