Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbee Question

Smile Newbee Question

Hello and thank you for allowing me here.

I have a CCW in Michigan and was going to obtain one from Centre Cty sheriff in PA. My question is, since PA has reciprocity with Michigan re: CPL/CCW, is there any use to obtaining a non-resident PA CCW permit? I do have relatives in PA and look forward to visiting them

Many thanks for any assistance.

Default Re: Newbee Question

Quote Originally Posted by secondamen View Post
    My question is, since PA has reciprocity with Michigan re: CPL/CCW, is there any use to obtaining a non-resident PA CCW permit? I do have relatives in PA and look forward to visiting them
    Yes, having a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms will cover you under the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act if you are carrying within 1000 feet of a school while in Pennsylvania:

18 U.S.C. § 922 (q) (2)

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm -

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is -

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is
    on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

Makes sense. I think I will send my app in tomorrow.

Thanks very much.

Take care.

It's been a while but I got my PA permit. Wanted to thank veryone for the responses and plan to take it with me in the next few weeks when i visit my cousin in W PA.

If it ever stops raining

Thanks very much, and take care.

Ohio has some strange requirements about how you can carry in a vehicle. www.handgunlaw.us is a good source.

You'll find fewer restrictions on carrying here than in Michigan. Pretty much just avoid schools, courthouses and Federal off-limits places. And no "must inform officer."

It's been a while but I got my PA permit. Wanted to thank veryone for the responses and plan to take it with me in the next few weeks when i visit my cousin in W PA.

If it ever stops raining

Thanks very much, and take care.
    They are all backed up because they got a truckload of apps and renewals when they set a deadline for mail-ins. I'm waiting about a month for my renewal at this point.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

I read Ohio's a month or so ago - it seemed a little squirrely re: keeping it in a container 'in view' (like a plastic baggie or closed case?) or in the glove compartment or console, or 'holstered ON the body' etc.

I think I would just drive to PA by day and keep them all locked in the pick-up cap until I reached my cousin's place.

PS - Here's something some might find interesting:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-officials-say

'Coming to a neighborhood' near you?

(Jefferson County)

Makes sense. I think I will send my app in tomorrow.

Thanks very much.

Take care.

I think you will have to apply in person now.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Hi all,
    Another newbie here and I was going to ask the same question as the OP. My CCW permit is from Idaho (where we can, btw, buy automatic weapons over the counter). I am here in Philadelphia on a temporary work project. I have CC around the City for the past month or so and now will get a non-resident CCW in case I am near a school. I am still coming up to speed with all of the information on this site, but since Philadelphia is apparently not too kind to issuing permits, is it okay that I go to an adjoining county to get it? I have Fridays off of work, so getting to the Sheriff's office should not be a problem.
    Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I think you will have to apply in person now.
    Look at the date on that post.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast