Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Need help with anti-ish parents

So my parents have decided that they are going to limit me to one gun. I of course think this is ridiculous since I'm paying for the guns, but it's their house so they basically win.

Both my parents are fairly uncomfortable with guns and they're convinced I'm going to accidentally shoot myself. Also, they don't want me spending my money on "useless metal and plastic".

How can I convince them that what I'm buying is an investment and not a waste of money? I'm getting an ak and an sks and those are almost guaranteed to maintain their value; if not rise in value. The mossberg and .22 I want will lose their value but not by much from what I've been told.

So I need advice on what to say to them. I really think I can convince them if the right argument is used, but I'm at a loss because so far they don't want to hear it. They're the type that think that they're safe because the police station is only 5 minutes away, and that a gun is nothing more than a toy.

Please help me with this because I have no idea what to do.

PS: They said it was okay prior to this and were fine with it up until they found out I was going to buy more than one gun.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Need help with anti-ish parents

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    So my parents have decided that they are going to limit me to one gun. I of course think this is ridiculous since I'm paying for the guns, but it's their house so they basically win.

Both my parents are fairly uncomfortable with guns and they're convinced I'm going to accidentally shoot myself. Also, they don't want me spending my money on "useless metal and plastic".

How can I convince them that what I'm buying is an investment and not a waste of money? I'm getting an ak and an sks and those are almost guaranteed to maintain their value; if not rise in value. The mossberg and .22 I want will lose their value but not by much from what I've been told.

So I need advice on what to say to them. I really think I can convince them if the right argument is used, but I'm at a loss because so far they don't want to hear it. They're the type that think that they're safe because the police station is only 5 minutes away, and that a gun is nothing more than a toy.

Please help me with this because I have no idea what to do.

PS: They said it was okay prior to this and were fine with it up until they found out I was going to buy more than one gun.
    Get an AK, save your $$$, then when you move out get what you want. Best advice I can give. Count yourself lucky-- where I live it's illegal to even own an AK or SKS.

If that doesn't work for them just tell them Eugene V. Debs from the "interweb" said it was okay to get more than one...that'll do the trick.

P.S.-- if they're letting you get an AK, they're not "anti-ish" they're just being parents and trying to get you to be responsible with your money. It's what parents do...don't sweat it too much.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Philadelphia County)

I know they're trying to help me, but I honestly don't see the AK or SKS losing value as long as I care for them properly.

I definitely want to get a pistol or 3 now that I finally visited a gun store. Having all those gun's staring at me was nothing short of torture lol. They had some really beautiful sigs and colts, and I saw a ton of glocks of course. They also had 2 seecamps and a ton of revolvers. It was basically a visual overload for me; I wanted everything lol.

My main reason for wanting more than 1 is that:

The .22 is for cheap plinking
    The AK is mainly because I've always wanted one and they're a good shtf gun
    The SKS is basically a less expensive .22 for me and it is also a good shtf gun
    The mossberg is for hunting and home defense

I'm not just rushing into this I have the money saved up and I thought I had my parents convinced.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Berks County)

Well pistols are easier to hide than long guns thats for sure.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Philadelphia County)

I was thinking this is an excellent reason to choose an underfolder , but I'd really rather be upfront with them. They're more ignorant of guns than actually disliking them, and I hope to manage to convince them to keep one in the house.

If I have to I can wait, but I'd really rather get my "useless pieces of metal and plastic" now rather than later.

Jon, speaking as a parent with children around your age - Don't be too hard on them. If they are letting you buy a gun, then they can't be too anti. Secondly, if I had an adult child living at home, I would be more interested in seeing what that child was doing to prepare himself for the move to independent living rather than seeing him collect a bunch of expensive guns while still living at home. And as has already been mentioned, once you are on your own, you can buy as many guns as you want, or at least as many as you can afford!

Edit in: I was married and had three children of my own before I could afford to start collecting guns!

(Philadelphia County)

I'm a college student so almost all my living expenses are covered by student loans. Next year I'll have an off campus apartment; so I will be able to own whatever I want.

I will have enough money after the summer to cover rent, and student loans can cover some rent if need be; but I will most likely have a job to cover the portion that my summer job won't cover.

On a side note, College BLOWS. I seriously have never had to deal with brainwashing on this level before. They tell us we're among the best, while giving us 10th grade level work and holding our hands. I can't take the BS they dish out on a daily basis. Right now I'm just hoping it gets better the further I get.

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    I'm a college student so almost all my living expenses are covered by student loans. Next year I'll have an off campus apartment; so I will be able to own whatever I want.

I will have enough money after the summer to cover rent, and student loans can cover some rent if need be; but I will most likely have a job to cover the portion that my summer job won't cover.

On a side note, College BLOWS. I seriously have never had to deal with brainwashing on this level before. They tell us we're among the best, while giving us 10th grade level work and holding our hands. I can't take the BS they dish out on a daily basis. Right now I'm just hoping it gets better the further I get.
    First off, get out of Philly! as soon as possible!, Second, you will not change their mind. Wait to build your arsenel. BTW a Mossberg 500 will not lose that much value.

(Allegheny County)

When you live in your parents house you live by their rules.
    Be glad you have a place to live, and that your parents allow you to bring one gun into THEIR HOME especially when they are uncomfortable with them.

Ask them if you alos buy a safe, and they set the combo to something only they know, and bolt it down somewhere you can both agree on, if then they will alow you to bring in a pistol. They can give you access to it when you are leaving for the range or somesuch, but they wont have to worry about it when you are home. If that is not adequate compromise to put their mind at ease then oh well, when you move out and are a responsible adult in your own home then you can do as you please.

(Allegheny County)

Let's see... you're old enough to buy a pistol and you've got money in the bank. I'd say get your own place. Their house, their rules.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast