Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Minimum Draw Weight for a bow... question???

In the Pa Hunting Digest, there are minimum draw weight restrictions for Deer (35lbs)and Elk(45lbs) but not for Small game, Turkey and Bear.

Does this mean my son can hunt with his bow (25lbs) for small game and Turkey? (only a desperate idiot would try to take a bear with his bow)

I know we have a few WCO's in here. What say you?
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Minimum Draw Weight for a bow... question???

Good question..

If anyone knows, I'd like to apply the question to taking frogs with bows too under PA Fish & Boat regulations. ...since they don't allow .22rimfire shotshells anymore.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

This is a good question and one I'm going to watch.

As far as the frog issue goes I would think the poundage rule wouldn't apply since the rules fall under the PA Fish and Boat and not GC. As far as I recall there is no poundage rule when targeting carp, which by the way is a blast!
    Last edited by keystoneman 85; February 24th, 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Instructor refresher training this weekend.

I will ask our WCO, and see what he says.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Good question..

If anyone knows, I'd like to apply the question to taking frogs with bows too under PA Fish & Boat regulations. ...since they don't allow .22rimfire shotshells anymore.
    Looks like bows and crossbows are legal for frogs with no mention of draw weight.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/repamp.html

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bronco View Post
    Looks like bows and crossbows are legal for frogs with no mention of draw weight.

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/repamp.html
    Yeah... I knew they were legal... ...just didn't know if they have a hidden regulation on draw weight.

I really wish they'd allow shotshells again on frogs. That was the best way to get them buggers when you're wading up to your hips in a swamp, stream, or pond.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    In the Pa Hunting Digest, there are minimum draw weight restrictions for Deer (35lbs)and Elk(45lbs) but not for Small game, Turkey and Bear.

Does this mean my son can hunt with his bow (25lbs) for small game and Turkey? (only a desperate idiot would try to take a bear with his bow)

WCO RWJ usually handles these questions and his answers are the right ones. I would say I can't believe there are no restrictions on bear, turkey's should have. As far as your son the question is how heavy is the arrow and what speed is his bow shooting the arrow at. That will equal in how much energy the arrow has to get through the feathers. I don't know haw much (energy) is needed for turkey but I guess you could find it somewhere.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post

Here is what I found in title 58,

§ 141.43. Deer.
    (a) Archery deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the archery deer season with any of the following devices:

(i) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(ii) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length. This subparagraph shall become effective July 1, 2009, and expire on June 30, 2012, unless the Commission authorizes its continued legal effectiveness prior to June 30, 2012.

§ 141.44. Bear.
    (a) Archery bear season

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt bear during the archery bear season with any of the following devices:

(i) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(ii) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length. This subparagraph shall become effective July 1, 2009, and expire on June 30, 2012, unless the Commission authorizes its continued legal effectiveness prior to June 30, 2012.

§ 141.45. Turkey.
    (a) Fall turkey season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the fall turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single-projectile ammunition, except as otherwise prohibited in paragraph (2)(i).

(ii) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #4 Bismuth/tin or #2 steel.

(iii) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(iv) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

b) Spring turkey season.
    (1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the spring turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #4 Bismuth/tin or #2 steel.

(ii) A bow and arrow as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(iii).

(iii) A crossbow and bolt as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(iv).

§ 141.47. Elk.
    (a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt elk during the elk season with any of the following devices:
    (1) A manually operated, centerfire rifle or handgun. The firearm must be a .27 caliber or larger firearm that propels single-projectile ammunition 130 grains or larger.

(2) A manually operated, centerfire shotgun. The firearm must be a 12 gauge or larger firearm.

(3) A muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be .50 caliber or larger firearm that propels single-projectile ammunition 210 grains or larger.

(4) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 45 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 1 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(5) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 1 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

§ 141.22. Small game.
    (a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks with the following devices:

(1) A manually operated rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .23 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(2) A manually operated or semiautomatic centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun. The firearm must be 10 gauge or less, that projects multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition not larger than #4 lead, #2 steel, or #4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot).

(3) A muzzleloading rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .40 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(4) A bow and arrow.

(5) A crossbow and bolt.

(6) A raptor. The raptor must be lawfully possessed under a falconry permit pursuant to section 2925 of the act (relating to falconry permits).

There is no minimum draw weight for small game.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    Here is what I found in title 58,

§ 141.43. Deer.
    (a) Archery deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the archery deer season with any of the following devices:

§ 141.44. Bear.
    (a) Archery bear season

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt bear during the archery bear season with any of the following devices:

§ 141.45. Turkey.
    (a) Fall turkey season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the fall turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single-projectile ammunition, except as otherwise prohibited in paragraph (2)(i).

(ii) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #4 Bismuth/tin or #2 steel.

(iii) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(iv) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

b) Spring turkey season.
    (1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the spring turkey season with any of the following devices:

(i) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #4 Bismuth/tin or #2 steel.

(ii) A bow and arrow as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(iii).

(iii) A crossbow and bolt as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(iv).

§ 141.47. Elk.
    (a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt elk during the elk season with any of the following devices:
    (1) A manually operated, centerfire rifle or handgun. The firearm must be a .27 caliber or larger firearm that propels single-projectile ammunition 130 grains or larger.

(2) A manually operated, centerfire shotgun. The firearm must be a 12 gauge or larger firearm.

(3) A muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be .50 caliber or larger firearm that propels single-projectile ammunition 210 grains or larger.

(4) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 45 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 1 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(5) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 1 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

§ 141.22. Small game.
    (a) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt small game, except woodchucks with the following devices:

(1) A manually operated rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .23 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(2) A manually operated or semiautomatic centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun. The firearm must be 10 gauge or less, that projects multiple-projectile shotgun ammunition not larger than #4 lead, #2 steel, or #4 of any other composition or alloy of nontoxic shot approved by the Director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service or an authorized representative under 50 CFR 20.134 (relating to nontoxic shot).

(3) A muzzleloading rifle or handgun. The firearm must be .40 caliber or less, that projects single-projectile ammunition.

(4) A bow and arrow.

(5) A crossbow and bolt.

(6) A raptor. The raptor must be lawfully possessed under a falconry permit pursuant to section 2925 of the act (relating to falconry permits).

There is no minimum draw weight for small game.
    Thank you... I was certain I read it somewhere before... FYI, this information is not in the 2010-2011 Hunting digest on the PAGC website.....

I thought 35lbs was the minimum for turkey, just couldn't find it.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Washington County)

Here is a link to the Law Page.

Title 34 = Law

Title 58 = Regulations

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ID=9115&mode=2
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.