Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What Do You Make of This? (G21SF Barrel/Recoil Spring & Related Questions)

Liked my Gen 2 Glock 21, but as trivial as it might seem to many, I really shoot better with the "thumb dimple" (for lack of a better term). That, and the tac rail (doesn't hurt) on a used Gen 3 21SF, prompted me to trade (yes, I know - I need help). I any case, I made the trade. The 21SF looked to be in good shape (as best I could determine by simply removing the slide). Trigger pull felt good (which is to say, it didn't feel like a NY trigger, or that it had an overly light/mushy pull). Overall, all good. However, the barrel and recoil spring were replaced w/what appear to be aftermarket parts.

So, here's what I've noticed after firing it at the range:

1) It seems unusually tight/difficult to chamber a round with a full magazine. Not impossible by any means, but certainly more difficult than I'd expect. And during that process, it almost feels as if the slide doesn't quite want to return to battery. It does, but it lacks the quick "snap/return" I'd expect.

2) There are no manufacturers markings on the barrel at all (see pics below).

3) I had two failure to feeds in just over 100 rounds. Not a hard jam, but it took a tap/rack to clear. Again, in my experience with several Glocks, this isn't at all standard.

So, what do you think I've got here? I intend to replace the recoil spring/guide rod with the original, and maybe the barrel as well (if I can find one at the right price). Anything else I should be looking at? Or, should I just pump a few hundred more rounds through it, and see how it goes?

Thanks as always.

Slide Assy:

Barrel pics (perhaps someone can ID it):

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What Do You Make of This? (G21SF Barrel/Recoil Spring & Related Questions)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    1) It seems unusually tight/difficult to chamber a round with a full magazine. Not impossible by any means, but certainly more difficult than I'd expect. And during that process, it almost feels as if the slide doesn't quite want to return to battery. It does, but it lacks the quick "snap/return" I'd expect.
    Full mags on all the Glocks in 45 ACP have a tendency to be tight (try racking the slide over a new full 9 rd mag on a G30). Was it difficult to get the last round in the mag? Usually they loosen up after the first 100 rds or so - but there is no way of telling how many rounds the original user put thru it - or it could be just a new mag?

2) There are no manufacturers markings on the barrel at all (see pics below).
    All the aftermarket barrels I have seen have some kind of marking on them - at least the caliber anyway. Does the barrel have octagonal rifling (glock) as apposed to grooved rifling (aftermarket)? The only reason I would (and I do) swap out a glock barrel is if I am going to shoot unjacketed reloads.

3) I had two failure to feeds in just over 100 rounds. Not a hard jam, but it took a tap/rack to clear. Again, in my experience with several Glocks, this isn't at all standard.

Was it ball ammo? I have had real issues with some of the flat nose 45 ammo from Speer - would not run well in any of my 45s.

It looks well taken care of in the pictures. A non stock barrel and recoil spring are maybe a hint that someone has tried to tune this particular glock to some reloads. I think your best bet is to shoot it a bunch, trying some other brands of ammo, and if there are still feeding issues - convert it back, as you suggested, to stock using OEM parts.

Good Luck
    Last edited by prospero1919; February 22nd, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: What Do You Make of This? (G21SF Barrel/Recoil Spring & Related Questions)

Replace all aftermarket parts with factory Glock parts. Then your gun should function more like a Glock.

(Chester County)

I always download magazines by 1 just to avoid this issue
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by prospero1919 View Post
    Full mags on all the Glocks in 45 ACP have a tendency to be tight (try racking the slide over a new full 9 rd mag on a G30). Was it difficult to get the last round in the mag? Usually they lossen up after the first 100 rds or so - but there is no way of telling how many rounds the original user put thru it - or it could be just a new mag?
    It came with one mag and I bought a (new) second mag. Yes, with both mags, it's difficult to get the last round in. So, of course one is brand new, and the other may have had little or no use as well.

All the aftermarket barrels I have seen have some kind of marking on them - at least the caliber anyway. Does the barrel have octagonal rifling (glock) as apposed to grooved rifling (aftermarket)? The only reason I would (and I do) swap out a glock barrel is if I am going to shoot unjacketed reloads.
    I'd prefer the original barrel as well. This might be a Federal Arms barrel. They're since out of business (I believe), but there are some "new old stock" barrels available, and they seem to have no markings. It does have octagonal rifling however.

Was it ball ammo? I have had real issues with some of the flat nose 45 ammo from Speer - would not run well in any of my 45s.
    It was Federal FMJ ball ammo.

It looks well taken care of in the pictures. A non stock barrel and recoil spring are maybe a hint that someone has tried to tune this particular glock to some reloads. I think your best bet is to shoot it a bunch, trying some other brands of ammo, and if there are still feeding issues - convert it back, as you suggested, to stock using OEM parts.

Good Luck
    Good advice, thanks! I did order an original Glock guide rod and spring, just because it's original Glock, and only cost a few bucks. I'll run it for awhile, and see how it behaves over time.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Replace all aftermarket parts with factory Glock parts. Then your gun should function more like a Glock.
    Thanks. And yes, this experience resulting in a "note to self": Don't buy a Glock w/aftermarket parts in it. Live and learn. Though, the gun's certainly not a disaster by any means, it would have been better had it been 100% Glock. Strange though, around here, it's hard to find G21's of any variety, let alone Gen 3s.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    I always download magazines by 1 just to avoid this issue
    Yes - also a good thought, and easy to do. Thank you!

(Delaware County)

Fortunately for you, glock parts are cheap.

Got two G21's (not the short frame) and have no battery issues with either when mag is full. Put a Glock barrel back in it and make sure if you are using reloads, the cases are not swollen. The G21 is a nasty pistol that is right there with the G20 or the HK 45.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Got two G21's (not the short frame) and have no battery issues with either when mag is full. Put a Glock barrel back in it and make sure if you are using reloads, the cases are not swollen. The G21 is a nasty pistol that is right there with the G20 or the HK 45.
    Original Glock guide rod/recoil spring has shipped, and a genuine Glock barrel just ordered. I'll feel better with a stock Glock for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast