Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default 1911 replacement parts, which most necessary?

I am looking to purchase a 4" 1911. I a pistol with a light rail however would still like a steel frame (can't find a lot of pistols that fit this mold or my price range <$1200).

I found the Kimber Pro TLE/RL II which fits the mold for around $970. However, I have heard about problems with some of Kimber's MIM parts/quality control. In order to remedy this I have purchased a Wilson Combat ambi safety but would like some advice as to which other parts should be replaced or substituted. I have considered a steel mainspring housing and slide release, both also from Wilson Combat.

Thanks for any help.

I am set on a 4" 1911 so please lets not get into a Sig, HK, Glock, XD or whatever discussion, we all know there is a place for that. I've got a 5" 1911, 4 sigs (2 p220s), USPc .45 and a G21 so I do have an appreciation for these manufacturers/models.

Default Re: 1911 replacement parts, which most necessary?

Take a look at this http://www.stiguns.com/guns/RangerII/RangerII.php commander size and sti makes quality stuff. Also within you price range. As far as the parts replacement on the kimber you could just do all the internals with wilson bullet proof parts and be done with it.
    You must pay attention to the man behind the curtain. Or you will loose.

(Centre County)

I have/had several guns with MIM parts in it. Including Kimber.
    I have yet to see any MIM parts in ANY gun break in anyway.
    Oh and Kimber's MSH is polymer, not MIM

These people that tells you that MIM is POS, usualy not have had the first hand experience with MIM parts breakage.

Its usualy something lik knows people that knows their mom's friend's daughter's boyfiends next door neigbor heard from somewhere that MIM parts broke or something in that area...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Delaware County)

Don't go replacing parts, shoot the gun for a while. Goes back to the "It ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. Kimbers seem to have a hot or cold reputation. Very good or problems abound. The net provides a venue for bitching about them and only the bad ones are remembered, although it may have been due to the 1911 newbie in the first place. With a gun in the price range of Kimber you'll have quite a few people buying them with no 1911 experience. I have no Kimbers in my history, so I can only relate to the 1911 forums I frequent. I do prefer guns that have "forever guarantees" on them, as you can see in my signature below.

The MSH is plastic, as mentioned above. You might consider an S&A MSH with a mag chute, or a plain MSH. They are quality and fairly easy to install. Other than that, shoot it for a year or so. As far as MIM, don't even concern yourself with it, unless your shooting 20 to 25,000 rounds a year. And then it'll take you 3 or 4 years to become concerned with it.

Good luck with your choice.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I have/had several guns with MIM parts in it. Including Kimber.
    I have yet to see any MIM parts in ANY gun break in anyway.
    Oh and Kimber's MSH is polymer, not MIM
    Same here. But according to some gun gurus, we must be the very small minority who have not yet had a MIM part break. Supposedly, MIM parts are the most defective parts ever produced by the manufacturing process.

I am not saying that MIM parts are that great, just agreeing that so far I have not yet ever had a failure. After 7000-9000 rounds thru some of them, something should break soon, maybe. Crossing my fingers here for good luck.

A little basic info for those who are not familiar with the manufacture process of MIM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding
    LUKE 11:21 == Proverbs 29:2 = Proverbs 25:28