Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Remington Nylon 66

My son turns seven in May...and I wanted to get him a .22 rifle. He will one day get my Remington Speedmaster 552 BDL, but I wanted to have his own.

Found this nice Remington Nylon 66...from the barrel codes...this one was made in February of 1960. Not bad looking for being 51 years old!

Was also looking at at 1973 Ruger 10/22...but got the 66 yesterday. This morning decided to get the 10/22 as well.

Nylon 66 1.jpg

Nylon 66 2.jpg

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Remington Nylon 66

You got your self two good keepers. Ruger still makes the 10/22 but the masterminds at Remington quit the nylon series. I guess there not really masterminds after all.

(Somerset County)

I bought a Nylon 66 when I was a teenager. Sold it when I was in my 20's and have always regretted it. I must have killed hundreds of garbage dump and corn crib rats with that rifle. Fun to shoot and never a jam.
    NRA Benefactor

(York County)

Smile Re: Remington Nylon 66

Nylon 66 is a cool gun, shot one a few months ago. Great gun for your son, I can't wait till my three year old is ready for that first gun, I might want to convince my wife that all new purchases are for him

My nylon 66 never liked remington ammo. If you have the original rear iron sight for the gun they are worth about $100 more. (most people removed and misplaced them to make way scopes) Was my 1st gun and killed many problem rodents with her.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Elk County)

IMO, your choice to purchase the N66 first was a smart one. Of course, your second decision to buy the 10/22 also was an obvious follow-on.

However, the N66 is a rifle that was certainly before its time in some respects, yet in other ways it was the right 22 semi auto for the time. Remington certainly developed the design and applied then-state-of-art polymer materials to produce a very inexpensive yet generally reliable and accurate semi auto 22 rifle that the American shooting public gobbled up throughout the 60s and well into the 70s. Not many people know it, but the N66 was made in a number of variations -- tube fed, detachable box magazine fed, blued, nickel (called "chrome" in advertising), and stocks in brown, black, and dark forest green. The same general rifle was also available in a lever action under a different model number, which I forget. Remington attached names to the various models using Native American tribe names. Probably never get away with that today.

Back in the day, the N66 was viewed as a "cheap" and "cheaply-made" 22LR rifle, when walnut and blued steel was considered the "gold standard" in US-made firearms. Because the N66 was so inexpensive relative to its competition (save for Mossberg 22s), nearly everyone owned one at one time. And because of the "cheapness," nearly everyone abused them. Sorta like the way some folks treat their Mosin-Nagants today.

I cared for my N66, and it was fed a steady diet of Winchester Super-X and later Wildcats. I cannot recall a single malfunction, and it fired ORH accuracy at 25 yds. I lent it to a "friend" while in college, and he later said it was "stolen." Yes, but from whom?

A couple years ago I replaced my N66 with a Brazilian-made clone from the firm CBC Industries. Remington sold CBC the tooling, and the CBC guns in my experience have been every bit as reliably functional and accurate as their original Ilion, NY-made cousins. My CBC set me back $75, and it's never had blip through slightly more than 550 rds. Accuracy is spot-on.

The N66 is now a classic collector rifle with considerable interest. Prices have been marching upward for the past seven or so years, and the more rare models (chrome with black stock, any lever action variant) are commanding ridiculous prices well in excess of $500. How many sell at those price points remains to be seen, but dealers and speculator-collectors are snapping up any N66 at a reasonable price.

You chose . . . wisely.

Enjoy, and take care of it.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Resurrecting this thread to post this vid on the Nylon 66. It's still one of my favorite rifles. So much damn fun to shoot.

(Clarion County)

Hell yeah. Have had one since the mid 70's. Wife bought it for me for Christmas then, bless her.
    Will last forever with decent care. Only problem I've ever had was a broken bolt handle.
    Many parts available here: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...s-rem/nylon-66
    Can't wait until my grandkids are old enough to try it out.
    Their Dad's into the rugers, they will get a well rounded education.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(York County)

Nice choice on the Remington Nylon 66. I have two of them in the back of my safe. The FFL had two of them on his used gun rack. Bought one, and a week later went back and bought the other in the mid 1970's. They were on the used gun rack for around $75.00 each. They're keepers.
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(Allegheny County)

OMG! Someone could take that through a metal detector and hijack a plane!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast