Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default LTCF, card check, Montgomery Co, no local PD

Complete newb here. I've read lots of posts but still don't understand my first step to acquire a LTCF. Montcos site says to bring my local PD check card to obtain the LTCF. I live in Worcester Twp and don't have a local PD, it's patrolled by state police. I do have a Lansdale mailing address though which does have a PD.

So where do I get the check card? Will the sheriffs dept do everything since I have no local PD?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be around here a lot. I have questions about buying guns online too but will do some searches before asking.

Default Re: LTCF, card check, Montgomery Co, no local PD

I live in an area of Lancaster County that does not have a local police dept.
    I took the filled out application to the Lancaster County Sheriffs dept and had my LTCF in about 15 min.

(Montgomery County)

Go to the court in norristown. Head to the gun "permit" room. They will give you what you need.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by toyfarm View Post
    I live in an area of Lancaster County that does not have a local police dept.
    I took the filled out application to the Lancaster County Sheriffs dept and had my LTCF in about 15 min.
    You're in a different county, Lancaster, your county doesn't ask for a check card. As far as I know Montgomery is the only county that has this extra step. Getting a LTCF is supposed to be the same in each county, you go to your county Sheriff (except in "cities of the first class" currently Philadelphia is the only one), fill out the forms, they do a check on you and if your OK issue the license, but sadly it's not. Some counties you get in a short time with no problems, others give you a hoop or two to jump through, and still other make you wait longer than the 45 days it's supposed to be issued or denied within. Consider yourself lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post

So where do I get the check card? ...
    It pains me to even post a link to this BS card, but here it is:

Montco sheriff's Local Police Check Form

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post
    Complete newb here. I've read lots of posts but still don't understand my first step to acquire a LTCF. Montcos site says to bring my local PD check card to obtain the LTCF. I live in Worcester Twp and don't have a local PD, it's patrolled by state police. I do have a Lansdale mailing address though which does have a PD.

So where do I get the check card? Will the sheriffs dept do everything since I have no local PD?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be around here a lot. I have questions about buying guns online too but will do some searches before asking.

If you have a Lansdale mailing address then I would take the card to Lansdale PD. The PD check card will be from the same borough as the address on your application so the Deputies shouldn't question anything.

The courthouse will have all the paperwork you need. If you call, they may even be able to email it to you.

Edit- My assumption on taking it to Lansdale PD is apparently incorrect, as some of the locals in the same situation have gone to the PSP barracks to have the card filled out.
    Last edited by smithwessn; February 18th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    If you have a Lansdale mailing address then I would take the card to Lansdale PD. The PD check card will be from the same borough as the address on your application so the Deputies shouldn't question anything.

The courthouse will have all the paperwork you need. If you call, they may even be able to email it to you.
    This assumes the sheriff doesn't know his county, plus the Lansdale police will know he's not a resident of Lansdale based on the street address. For instance, there are parts of Upper Darby that have a Lansdowne mailing address. Two different municipalities. Postal zones have nothing to do with municipal boundaries most of the time.

(Montgomery County)

You have to take that card to the PSP in Skippack. They are your local police.
    That is unless you want to fight the illegal stipulation that they are thrusting upon you.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: LTCF, card check, Montgomery Co, no local PD

I turned it in at the Skippack PSP barracks, along with my application as I also live in Worcester Twp. They took it down to the sheriff's office in Norristown.

When I arrived there, the neanderthal behind the counter asked me why I left my entire application with the PSP.

My reply?

"I shouldn't have even left my check card with them. Background checks are solely the responsibility of YOUR office, not the local PD."

That was met with some sort of illiterate grunt.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by kadar View Post
    You have to take that card to the PSP in Skippack. They are your local police.
    That is unless you want to fight the illegal stipulation that they are thrusting upon you.
    So, how do I get the check card in the first place? (the link someone posted above is expired) Does the PSP have them or do I have to physically make 2 trips to Norristown? The sheriffs webpage specifically states you must bring the check card with you... It does not even hint at how you get one.

To answer everyones question about fighting this apparent illegal act, you have to understand, those of us that need to jump through these hoops (this is our first time, I don't even own a gun yet) are MUCH less informed and may not associate with many carriers yet. I'm not saying we won't get informed but I assume a sheriff can make our lives pretty unbearable if he's already a pr*ck. I'd rather have a lot more info under my belt before trying to buck the "system".

That being said, I know someone who works in the courthouse and I'll ask him who/what he knows the next time I talk to him. I'm not really against the local police check in theory, only that it's not the law and they shouldn't make you travel all over. I'd be fine if the locals forwarded it to the sheriffs office and then have the LTCF mailed to me. I should only have to present myself in person to one authority.

But for now, where does a person in Montco (with no local police) find the card since the sheriffs website says I need to bring one to HIM?
    Last edited by C5pilot; February 18th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast