Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Carry to/from/at work question

I'm now employed by a security company providing on-site traffic control and checking in personnel on pad for a Marcellus Drilling rig in the absolute middle of nowhere. I mean, completely absolute middle of nowhere, we don't have an address, we were given Geographical Coordinates...

Anywho, as you all may know I carry at all times, which obviously not being 235 certified, I can't at work, but what about on my way to and from? Conventional knowledge to me says throw it on the hip, leave it in the truck, but there's two things I see to this;

1) We have a uniform that dictates us as Security, not being act235, I can see a potential issue if I'm pulled over or I stop at a gas station.

2) On occasion I'll be asked to leave my gate, jump in my truck, and drive up to another gate, or to the site of incident if someone goes off the road, and thereby I'm having my firearm on me while on duty...

Am I correct on my thinking with both points, and therein should leave my Glock at home?
    Man its one thing to suffer for your country, Its another to do so because of it...

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Carry to/from/at work question

No. Act 235 is only required if the use of a firearm is required as part of your actual job...in your job description. .E.G..."Armed Guard" Otherwise, having a LTCF is perfectly fine enough for self defense purposes..however....it may violate company policy and lend to you being terminated.

http://forum.pafoa.org/hunting-23/45...tml#post585421
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; February 17th, 2011 at 08:15 PM.

(Berks County)

If you carry a lethal weapon as part of your position, then you need Act 235.

http://www.lethalweapons.state.pa.uswww.lethalweapons.state.pa.us

§ 21.1. Definitions.

Privately employed agent—Any person who is employed for the purpose of providing watchguard, protective patrol, detective or criminal investigative services either for another for a fee or for his employer.

Lethal weapons—Include, but are not limited to, firearms and other weapons calculated to produce death or serious bodily harm. A concealed billy club is a lethal weapon. The chemical mace or any similar substance shall not be considered as a lethal weapon for the purposes of the act. For purposes of this chapter, a nonconcealed billy club shall also be considered a lethal weapon.

§ 21.2. Mandatory certification.

Privately employed agents, regardless of their place of residence or employers’ location who, as an incidence to their employment, carry a lethal weapon within this Commonwealth

(Monroe County)

Right, but he's not talking about "as part" of his position. Act 235 is required only if carrying a firearm is "required" as part of your job.

(Lancaster County)

Problem I see is this.....

If you are in uniform and on your way to work with a gun on your hip and you stop for whatever. Will the company consider this a violation of policy because you are in their uniform. Will they say it violates their policy due to the fact you are not suppose to carry while on duty and you are in their uniform. It presents the issue of appearanceses.
    No longer posting

(York County)

Just getting 235 certified is an easy fix

(Chester County)

Or do what I do with most of my jobs, and go to work in either a T-shirt or a garment over your uniform. My Paramedic uniform shirt is the same light blue as Philly PD... Not looking to get mistaken as a PPD officer driving to work.

(Jefferson County)

I haven't looked into getting 235 compliant yet, but I know it couldn't hurt. Not to mention my boss has 235 certified officers working somewhere in the company (probably the hospitals and such down in the city) and he says its not that hard of a thing to get in a class etc.

And I'm not looking to carry on duty, if I gave the impression, just wondering what happens if its sitting in my glove box, and I have to jump in my truck while on duty and head on up to another site etc etc.
    Man its one thing to suffer for your country, Its another to do so because of it...

(Butler County)

All depends on your company's policies. If there is nothing that prohibits your actions within written policies then you should be alright.

You appear to be taking reasonable care not to carry while actually working. Leaving your weapon in your car should suffice.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Jefferson County)

The rate I'm getting paid vs. the amount of actual work I do is a really strong driving force to keep this job, so I'm not doing anything to screw myself. Allow me to say, though, sitting in the post I'm stationed to, over night, in the woods with three of the other guards saying they've heard coyotes makes me really wish I at least had a rifle in the post just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast