Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Kimber Pro CDP II Break In.

Well after checking out some other 1911's, decided to go ahead and start shooting my Kimbers and see if they shoot as good as they feel.

I am almost embarrassed to say I have had them a year and never shot them, or any pistol in the last year. I would say I am far from an experienced shooter and have shot more glocks than 1911's.

I will call it as it is, I have no problem selling both Kimbers and buying a Nighthawk Custom, Wilson Combat or Colt if thats what it takes to get a nice feeling gun that is reliable.

Today I shot 125 rounds through the Pro CDP II and the results were.
    5-6 failure to feed, none with Federal Hydra Shok, the other ammo I shot was the Winchester White Box Ammo.
    I also noticed all but one happened when shooting with one hand, not two which makes me think some was surely my fault, and lack of shooting experience. Probably had some limp wrist in many of the cases.

I do plan on getting better mags, the stock one is what I used today. Will pick up a couple KimPro Tac mags tomorrow.

After I get 400-500 rounds through the Pro CDP II, will do the same with the Custom Covert II.

Again, if either is not reliable with some minor work, will sell them and try one of the 1911's I mentioned above.

I know many hate Kimber, and the thought of having to break a gun in but so many reviews claim that after 200 rounds the gun does fantastic, if thats the case I will be happy.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Kimber Pro CDP II Break In.

My Kimber Pro Carry II was flawless right out of the gate. It eats a steady diet of WWB, and also digests all of the carry defensive ammo I have ever tried. It was sweet to begin with, but after the first several hundred rounds, the action improved to silky smooth. I run KimPro Tac Mags and Wilson Combat magazines. Good luck with your break-in period.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    My Kimber Pro Carry II was flawless right out of the gate. It eats a steady diet of WWB, and also digests all of the carry defensive ammo I have ever tried. It was sweet to begin with, but after the first several hundred rounds, the action improved to silky smooth. I run KimPro Tac Mags and Wilson Combat magazines. Good luck with your break-in period.
    Nic, great to hear your gun is flawless, there is a good chance had a more experienced shooter been shooting today mine would have been.

If the rain is not too bad tomorrow will get some more ammo through her and give another report.
    Kimber Custom Covert II, Kimber Pro CDP II, Glock 21

(Warren County)

Back to the range today, but took a mag from my Custom Covert II, and also picked up a KimPro Tac-Mag (8 round)

When I started loading the mags, could tell a big difference in the quality, the stock mag was much cheaper built, even loaded odd.

100 rounds and only 2 FF, and both were with the stock mag.
    I will pick up a couple more KimPro Tac-Mags, because already I am falling in love with this gun. Shoots so nice, and accurate.

I may still pick up a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom, but looks like it will be an addition, not a trade off.
    Kimber Custom Covert II, Kimber Pro CDP II, Glock 21

Wilson makes better magazines.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Wilson makes better magazines.
    That depends. I have a Kimber Series I Aluminum Compact that will not run with Wilson 47D's (I have 3). It runs flawlessly with Chip McCormick Shooting Stars.

Lycanfindwhatshelikesthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

My Pro CDP II wasn't reliable after 800+ rounds. Tried different ammo, used Wilson Combat mags (as well as Kim-Pro Tac and the stock mags), etc. There was always the occasional failure to feed. As beautiful as the gun was, it wasn't a gun I'd trust. I now have a SA Range Officer, and it was flawless out of the box, and has remained so. Not as pretty, but I'm not putting it in a display case.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Erie County)

I like the CDP, except for the aluminum frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Delaware County)

I'm not sure about the other manufacturers,,,,but Wilson recommends that you fill the mags and leave them sit for 24 hours prior to shooting them.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    I'm not sure about the other manufacturers,,,,but Wilson recommends that you fill the mags and leave them sit for 24 hours prior to shooting them.
    For real? So these guns wouldnt be good for a sustained firefight?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast