Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Red face So I have 1,000 bullets sitting on my reloading bench...

and can't find any load info for them.

I recently decided to get into reloading for the first time and after a bit of research, I took the plunge.

I ordered my reloading equipment from Midway and got my order in today. A Stack-on reloading bench, Lee Anniversary Single Stage Press kit, Lyman Tumbler, RCBS calipers, Lee 9mm dies, Wilson case length gage, and a bunch of other stuff. Among that stuff was my first purchase as far as components is concerned, 1,000 124gr. FMJ 9mm bullets from Remington. I purchased them primarily because they were on sale.

Now I got my Lyman 49th edition reloading manual in the mail today and there is no info in there on 124gr FMJ. I checked several powder manufacturer's websites and had no luck. The only powder manufacturer with info on 124gr FMJ was Hodgdon. However Hodgdon specifies that the 124gr FMJ bullets on their data are Winchester.

So my questions are these:

Can I use the information from Hodgdon on the Winchester 124gr FMJ bullets even though mine are Remington? Or any 124gr FMJ data for that matter? Does the bullet manufacturer make that drastic of a difference? Would the Min. OAL needed vary from bullet manufacturer to bullet manufacturer?

I haven't purchased any powder or primers yet so if I find load data for Remington 124gr FMJ I will buy whatever powder is in that data. I really don't want to have 1,000 bullets just sit on my bench for an eternity because I can't find reloading data for them.

I realize now I probably should have researched a bit more thoroughly before buying and reloading components but I figured finding data for such a common round would be simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: So I have 1,000 bullets sitting on my reloading bench...

Use the data. It will not matter if the bullets are the same weight and design even if the manufacturers are different.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Congrats on the Lee set. I have the same one and enjoy it. 9mm is easy to load. I know there is no loading data for the 124grain. If you email me i can give you some loads on the 9mm. I use unique and 231.

weymanpaul@yahoo.com

(Susquehanna County)

Typically speaking a 124 gr jacketed bullet (I guess we're speaking 9mm) is a 124 gr jacketed bullet regardless of the shape or manufacturer. So powder charge data is transferable. As long as you stay within caliber, powder charge data is transferable among bullets of the same weight and material. So for the same weight jacketed to jacketed and lead to lead is OK.

The same applies for primers a small pistol primer is a small pistol primer differences between manufacturers is neglible for the most part. Just don't go mixing pistol primerrs with rifle primers or magnum primers with non, magnum primers.

Bullet shape could affect OAL, a hollow point might be shorter than an FMJ, but that "difference" might only be 0.015". If you happen to have a factory cartridge of similar shape and weight use it as a "dummy" to set your seating die. i.e. put the factory round in your shell holder and with the seating die in place but not screwed down and the seating stem screwed out also, raise the ram to full stroke, screw the die body down to about the thickness of a dime above the shell holder then screw the stem down to just touch the factory cartridge's bullet and lock everything in place. Now all of your bullets will be seated to factory OAL.

If you don't have a factory cartridge seat your bullets to say 1.135", but make 6 or 8 dummies, that is sized, bulleted and taper crimped (but no powder or primer) and test them in your pistol. Load them in your magazine and cycle them through the action. Do they fit in the magazine? Do they feed and eject correctly? If yes, now load up enough for a suitable test firing starting at the minimum recommended powder charge and working up toward maximum charge and head for the range to test them.

Before I forget, keep at least one of your dummies as a standerd to reset you dies. In fact make a dummy cartridge for each bullet in each caliber you load. That way you can use the dummy to set your dies (seating depth and taper crimp) any time you want to return to that bullet profile.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Data for the 124 gr bullet can be found where data is published. Go to Hodgdon.com, Alliantpowder.com, etc. 1214 gr loads are there. if you want use 125 gr. loads. Not going to make a tinkers dam. Just keep oal in mind.
    Here are a couple: 4.4 gr Bullseye, 5.8 gr Unique, 7.9 gr Blue Dot
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Perry County)

One caution, the ogive (curved from surface of the bullet) is sometimes different. What you need to be careful of is that the bullet is relatively the same in "pointyness" ( a highly technical term). I ran into this with a 30 carbine load with very spherical noses which jammed into the rifling causing an over pressure. I believe you will be fine, but to check load a few at the data for OAL (overall length) you have and check to see they cycle well. Just rack the slide, if they are jamming into the rifling it will be hard to eject the loaded round. Otherwise there should be no problem, just start at the minimum and work up slowly, or better yet just use the lowest listed powder charge that reliably cycles your pistol.

Welcome to reloading, it is an absorbing hobby in its own right.

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the responses guys.

I actually just checked the paper that came with my Lee dies and it also has some data for 124gr 9mm. I'll cross check that data with some other I can find and start at the lowest recommended charge for the particular powder I choose, just to be safe.

I'm just happy to hear that the bullet manufacturer doesn't really make a difference.

As far as using some similar rounds to check OAL, I have some Federal 124gr. FMJ 9mm still new in the box that I can use as a comparison. Also thanks for the tip regarding making a dummy round for setting the dies.

Thanks again for the help guys.

(Luzerne County)

Lee's manual "Modern Reloading" has data for 124 grain jacketed bullets.
    It may be the same as what you have.
    As noted, you can use data for 125's......and even 130s.

Note:
    Here are a couple: 4.4 gr Bullseye, 5.8 gr Unique, 7.9 gr Blue Dot
    Are those max loads or start loads?
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; February 16th, 2011 at 07:40 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Bucks County)

Those loads are listed on the Alliant site. The data does not indicate starting or max loads. Looking at other loading books these loads are pretty stiff. There is a good reason for using several loading guides.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    SASS Association

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Those loads are listed on the Alliant site. The data does not indicate starting or max loads. Looking at other loading books these loads are pretty stiff. There is a good reason for using several loading guides.

Jeff
    On the Alliant site, that warning page you click through without reading tells you that all loads are maximum and to start 10% low and work up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast