Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default CZ 75-B Full Size for carry ?

Iv'e been reading a lot on these great pistols and I've decided to pick one up as soon as my RIA 45 sells on consignment. The CZ 75 is a strong {But Heavy} all steel gun that is widely used, especially in Europe in 9mm caliber.
    I figured this gun was designed around the 9mm so I'll stick with the original.

Does anyone here own/carry the full size version of the CZ 75 ?
    If so how is it ? Does it compare to carrying a 1911 Govt. Model ?

The CZ is known for digesting hot loads such as 9mm Nato and European +P+ loads which in American standards would be more like a ++P+ load. It's pretty much a poor mans Hi-Power !
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: CZ 75-B Full Size for carry ?

If you want a "poor" man's Hi-power why not look at the Charles Daly (used) or FM versions? M95 Classic? Takes Browning HP parts and magazines.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Northampton County)

It sure as hell is no "poor man's" Hi-Power...That is gun snob talk.

But anyway, I have carried my CZ75 many many times both OC and CC. I use a bianchi carry-lok (sp?), works great, and I usually have a single sweatshirt over my t shirt and there is no printing whatsoever. I would recommend it.

Armed, I am free.
    ZRT Sector 7 (Recon)
    A 3 percenter

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    Does anyone here own/carry the full size version of the CZ 75 ? If so how is it ? Does it compare to carrying a 1911 Govt. Model ?
    I did carry a CZ75BD for a few years. I never owned a 1911, but I recall them being pretty similar in overall size and shape (5" 1911 having a longer barrel), and grip angle. I always thought the CZ was an excellent entry point for 1911 shooters into the 9mm world.

ETA: if you're planning on SA carry, I recommend you try out the CZ75SA model -- it has a more ergonomic, 1911-like safety, plus already comes with the drop-free mag setup (i.e., no mag break inside the gun):

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b-sa/

The CZ is heavy, comforting, easy to shoot. Because it's heavy, I went for a holster well-suited for heavy steel guns, a Kramer horsehide scabbard holster, with a good gun belt. The BD's decocker lever is the easiest to reach of any DA/SA gun I've shot.

What I remember is that the recoil spring had to be kind of matched to the round's recoil. Thus a recoil spring for hot rounds didn't extract and eject standard pressure rounds all the time. Maybe that was just my experience, though.

A minor gotcha: the magazine floor plates are razor sharp edged metal, and with a normal open-topped kydex mag holder, the baseplate edges lacerated my shirt and skin. I ended up getting a mag holder with a sweat shield (FIST sells them) for just this issue. Someone with, er, a leaner build might not notice this.
    Last edited by dgg9; February 16th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: CZ 75-B Full Size for carry ?

Yes, by all means.

I've carried a CZ75, an Armalite AR24, a TZ75, a Rock Island Armory MAP1 and an EAA Witness in 9mm, 40 S&W and 10mm (all CZ copies), all in the same DeSantis 001-B5 thumb break belt holster. Any of them are very accurate guns.

I also currently carry a Para Ordnance P-13, a 1911-style gun.

If you're looking to buy an EAA Witness full size steel frame CHEAP, Tanner's in Jamison is selling a Witness "Classic" model in either 9mm or .40 S&W, for $299.

I picked one up on Monday.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    ...I've carried a CZ75, an Armalite AR24, a TZ75, a Rock Island Armory MAP1 and an EAA Witness in 9mm, 40 S&W and 10mm (all CZ copies), all in the same DeSantis 001-B5 thumb break belt holster. ...
    Can you carry cocked-and-locked with thumb break between the hammer and the slide with that holster?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Re: CZ 75-B Full Size for carry ?

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    Can you carry cocked-and-locked with thumb break between the hammer and the slide with that holster?
    Yes. Fabulous product. Bought two of them, brand new, on eBay for about $20 each.

DeSantis part #001BAB5Z0

Although you may wish to buy a lined holster for about $10 more. Lined holsters are SOOO much nicer and easier on the finish of the gun.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the input ! Now the only thing to decide is the standard or decocker model ?
    LOL ! I'd probably go with the standard only for the nostalgia factor and I have no problem lowering a hammer by hand {Especially when there's a drop safety}. If they had a model with both a safety and decocker that would be cherry ! I just may flip a coin though.

I did consider the EAA Witness but had a bad experience in the past. I had ordered the compact model and when it came in I tryed it out. Well it would shoot one shot and that was it ! It wouldn't chamber the next round for some reason ? I instantly returned the gun and got my cash back in full, lucky ! I haven't heard anything negative recently however.

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: CZ 75-B Full Size for carry ?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    I did consider the EAA Witness but had a bad experience in the past. I had ordered the compact model and when it came in I tryed it out. Well it would shoot one shot and that was it ! It wouldn't chamber the next round for some reason ? I instantly returned the gun and got my cash back in full, lucky ! I haven't heard anything negative recently however.
    Sounds like a problem with the magazine.

I'd consider one of these before a CZ:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=216509452

The price just simply cannot be beat.

(Philadelphia County)

I like the Eaa's but they just don't have the graceful lines like the CZ 75. The CZ has that European/German look to it. It looks like a gun that would be used in WWII, I just have a thing for all steel military guns. Thankyou for the advice anyway, well appreciated !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast