Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Warren County)

Default Shooting on Game Lands?

I do not have any ranges very close to me, but do have a lot of State Game Lands and land owned by Timber Companies that post its open for hunting/trapping. I know some State Game Lands have actual ranges but they ate also a long ways from me.

Is there anything wrong with setting up a target and practicing on these properties as long as you use common sense and clean up your mess and of coarse do not damage property?

(Erie County)

Default Re: Shooting on Game Lands?

Quote Originally Posted by dkyser View Post
    I do not have any ranges very close to me, but do have a lot of State Game Lands and land owned by Timber Companies that post its open for hunting/trapping. I know some State Game Lands have actual ranges but they ate also a long ways from me.

Is there anything wrong with setting up a target and practicing on these properties as long as you use common sense and clean up your mess and of coarse do not damage property?
    On state game lands it is prohibited to:
    Target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows, or devices capable of launching projectiles in a manner that could cause injury to persons or property, or on areas posted closed to those activites.

Except as provided on established shooting ranges, discharge any firearm, bow and arrow or device capable of launching projectiles that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife. Shoot clay birds anywhere except areas designated by the Executive Director by signs stating that clay bird shooting is permitted.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Warren County)

Thanks for the info, I was not sure.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkyser View Post
    Thanks for the info, I was not sure.
    You have State and Federal Forests up that way.. ...they have different rules for target shooting, which is more lax than the PA Game Commission lands.

Look up the Allegheny National Forest's website and search for target shooting. I think that so long as there is a backstop, and that you aren't shooting trees/critters - you might be legal. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that is the general rule. I'm in a position at the moment where I can't verify this.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/allegheny/recreation/

Pennsylvania Gun Laws:

To carry a concealed weapon, you must have a protection weapon permit from your county sheriff in PA. If you are from out-of state, you must have a protection permit in your state, and have a protection permit from Pennsylvania. Warren County sheriff will not issue Ohio residents a protection permit, but will issue a sportsmen’s permit that allows concealed weapons for hunting and fishing only. You may bring weapons that are not concealed (hunting rifles, shotguns, side arms). When transporting it is recommended to carry firearm and ammunition in separate areas – (i.e. Carry firearm in the trunk and ammunition in the car.) Target practice must comply with the PA. Game Commission regulations, i.e. no firing into live trees (see hunting license handbook). Target shooting is recommended at ranges set up for that purpose (sportsmen's clubs). We recommend on the ANF using stone pits with a high back wall. Contact the county sheriff for additional information.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!