Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Re: It Happened Again !!

I'll be quite honest, I have shot .40's that kick less and shoot nicer than some 9mm's. So their idea of "she can't handle it" is unwarranted in too many ways. Fist being, it's unfair and sexist to assume a woman cannot handle a .40, and two being the shop generalizing one caliber vs another, when not taking a particular gun into account as well.

I mean, heck, the .50cal is a "powerful" round too, but it's not so bad when it's being fired from a mounted Browning.

Like was said, it's up to the buyer. If it were me, or someone I knew, I would advise them to take business elsewhere. Whether they meant to or not, they basically told the woman that she is too weak and she is basically uneducated in firearms... And that is not something the shop should be judging.
    III%

(Delaware County)

You think this is bad, ask women what its like buying a car or taking one in for service.

(Monroe County)

I wouldn't blame the shop for this salesman actions. I had this happen to me at a local shop, but we just walked out and bought one somewhere else. It did put a bad light on this shop for us for quite some time till we talked to the shop owner. He apologized for our bad experience and we have since bought things from him.

You have to realize that with some "sports" they're still looked at by some as a male only thing. I've been dealing with this type of crap for years in almost every "sport" I get involved with.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    I wouldn't blame the shop for this salesman actions. I had this happen to me at a local shop, but we just walked out and bought one somewhere else. It did put a bad light on this shop for us for quite some time till we talked to the shop owner. He apologized for our bad experience and we have since bought things from him.

You have to realize that with some "sports" they're still looked at by some as a male only thing. I've been dealing with this type of crap for years in almost every "sport" I get involved with.
    Maybe if you were in the kitchen makin' sammiches this wouldn't happen!

j/k!
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    I did give my 2 cents and asked why they did that and got a really ridiculous answer.
    It was something like "You and I know a 40 isn't that bad but "she" doesn't and won't be prepared for it. Then she'll change her mind and want to return the gun or sell it ".
    I don't understand the logic ? I see it as she might come back to sell the 9mm to get the 40 S&W she wanted in the first place because she didn't look to thrilled about buying that gun ! She didn't even buy ammo for it and left ! I saw that as a bad sign.
    once again, the return scenario is another opportunity to sell some range time with an instructor. If they don't go for it you can always buy their gun back for considerably less than you sold it and sell it at high markup. It's win-win.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Maybe if you were in the kitchen makin' sammiches this wouldn't happen!

j/k!
    Listen here you

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    I'll be quite honest, I have shot .40's that kick less and shoot nicer than some 9mm's. So their idea of "she can't handle it" is unwarranted in too many ways. Fist being, it's unfair and sexist to assume a woman cannot handle a .40, and two being the shop generalizing one caliber vs another, when not taking a particular gun into account as well.

I mean, heck, the .50cal is a "powerful" round too, but it's not so bad when it's being fired from a mounted Browning.

Like was said, it's up to the buyer. If it were me, or someone I knew, I would advise them to take business elsewhere. Whether they meant to or not, they basically told the woman that she is too weak and she is basically uneducated in firearms... And that is not something the shop should be judging.
    I Agree !
    I also mentioned to them how about a 45 ACP ? The salesman's response was "Oh that's really too much !" A 45 ACP has less kick than a 40 because it's a slower bullet ! {except the 185 gr +P 45} I once heard a salesguy say to a person who wanted a 45 ACP, "Oh I can't sell you that big a Caliber for your first gun !" Like I said, yesterday wasn't the first time !
    It shouldn't matter ! If you are legal, and have the cash, you should be able to get what you want ! If I want a 45, I want a 45 ! It shouldn't matter if im male, female, novice, or veteran. Anyway a 9mm has more of a bite kick than a 45 ACP which is more of a push. A 40 I could shoot with one hand well and I don't have big hands. Maybe their just on a power trip due to the fact they are young guys who are NRA certified and have guns on their hips ?
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Lycoming County)

It was always my understanding that the .40 S&W was a "woman's" caliber I say that kiddingly, as I have carried that caliber for many years. But, that really is what it is, a softer version on the 10mm, so that a wider array of shooters would find it acceptable.

I do not frequent gun shops, but I would find it difficult to keep to my self if I were to witness what occurred in the OP. It is funny why, as stated, they did not encourage her to try something of the caliber she requested. That seems like a win/win for all.

Be safe (and have the FFL's come to you ).

Scott

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    I Agree !
    I also mentioned to them how about a 45 ACP ? The salesman's response was "Oh that's really too much !" A 45 ACP has less kick than a 40 because it's a slower bullet ! {except the 185 gr +P 45} I once heard a salesguy say to a person who wanted a 45 ACP, "Oh I can't sell you that big a Caliber for your first gun !" Like I said, yesterday wasn't the first time !
    It shouldn't matter ! If you are legal, and have the cash, you should be able to get what you want ! If I want a 45, I want a 45 ! It shouldn't matter if im male, female, novice, or veteran. Anyway a 9mm has more of a bite kick than a 45 ACP which is more of a push. A 40 I could shoot with one hand well and I don't have big hands. Maybe their just on a power trip due to the fact they are young guys who are NRA certified and have guns on their hips ?
    I can see suggesting something to a customer, but pretty much prohibiting her from buying a larger caliber is not the correct way to handle it. If they would have just explained, and made sure she was fully aware of the differences, that's fine... But the second they say "I can't sell you that because you're a woman", the conversation loses all credibility in a way.

BTW, maybe I missed it, but what did the woman decide to do then? How did she handle it?
    III%

(Philadelphia County)

It might not be a woman thing, it might just be them pushing what they have or what gives them the best profit.

I related my first visit there a couple weeks ago on here. I was looking for a Kahr. They looked around, couldn't fine one in stock. Told the guy I wanted it for carry. And he started telling my I should get a Glock (which they had plenty of in stock). I just brushed it off as typical salesman bs, pushing what you got instead of what the customer wants.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast