Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default First-Time Buyer Advice

First and foremost, I have a very stupid/n00b question: In PA, you need a license to carry a concealed weapon to have any firearm in your car, correct? So if I were planning to go to a range once a month, I'd need to get a license? (Given they're dirt cheap, this isn't a problem, but I'm still curious.)

But, more importantly, how do people buy firearms if that's the case? Don't you need to drive home from the store? Or do they give you a pass if you clearly have a receipt dated ten minutes prior?

And onto my specifics...

I'm looking, ideally, to invest in two firearms. One for personal protection, and one for range shooting. I have very small hands, prefer as little recoil as possible, and after that it comes down to quality/durability, price (including ammo), and ease of cleaning/upkeep. I'm also rather married to the idea of getting semi-automatics.

Also, if anyone can recommend a particularly good gun safe, that would also be appreciated!

So far, others have recommended a Walther P22 for the range and 9mm Kahr Luger for the home. What do you experts think?

Thanks!
    Last edited by happytofu; February 14th, 2011 at 07:45 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: First-Time Buyer Advice

Quote Originally Posted by happytofu View Post
    In PA, you need a license to carry a concealed weapon to have any firearm in your car, correct?
    No, that is not correct, so long as you are going directly from your home, to the range, and back home again.

So if I were planning to go to a range once a month, I'd need to get a license? (Given they're dirt cheap, this isn't a problem, but I'm still curious.)
    You don't need one for your scenario, but I strongly suggest getting one. Then you can stop at the store on the way to/from the range and be legal.

But, more importantly, how do people buy firearms if that's the case? Don't you need to drive home from the store? Or do they give you a pass if you clearly have a receipt dated ten minutes prior?
    There are exceptions. From your home to range is one. From place of sale/purchase is another.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
    See Section B for the Exemptions

And onto my specifics...

I'm looking, ideally, to invest in two firearms. One for personal protection, and one for range shooting.
    I would strongly recommend going to a well stocked gun shop, or preferably a gun show. Handle as many different sizes and types of guns as you can. Then you can get a better feel for what you're looking for. People here can give you advice, but nothing beats feeling the cold hard steel in your hands.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Indiana County)

You cannot transport a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a LCTF, an unloaded weapon is perfectly legal to transport. IIRC, the ammo has to be separated from the gun.

I suggest keeping the ammo and firearm away from each other, not all in the same bag, ect... If you have a car, keep the cased firearm in the trunk and the ammo up front, if you have a truck, the cased firearm in the cab (not stuffed under the seat), ammo in the bed.

But really, you should just get a LCTF anyway.

(Berks County)

Thank you, oh wise one. That makes a lot more sense than how I was interpreting it.

Also, there's a local gun shop that doubles as a range and they also offer rentals, so I was planning on stopping by sometime soon. Since most gun shops have thousands of options, and I've heard advice against listening to gun shop employees, I was hoping to go in with a short list of things to try, or a general direction to go. But I won't buy anything I haven't tried first.

I really appreciate your clarifications! The Berks license is $25 for five years, so I'd be an idiot not to get one.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by happytofu View Post
    Since most gun shops have thousands of options, and I've heard advice against listening to gun shop employees
    That really depends on the gun shop. Some shops are great... some not so great. But if you're just window shopping, let them give you what ever advice they want. Just check back here and someone will surely confirm or deny the advice you were given at a shop.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Delaware County)

9mm and a .22 would be a good start.
    Ruger, Kahr, Springfield, Smith&Wesson, SigSauer, Glock, Colt and the list goes on. These are some of the most popular.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    You cannot transport a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a LCTF, an unloaded weapon is perfectly legal to transport. IIRC, the ammo has to be separated from the gun.

I suggest keeping the ammo and firearm away from each other, not all in the same bag, ect... If you have a car, keep the cased firearm in the trunk and the ammo up front, if you have a truck, the cased firearm in the cab (not stuffed under the seat), ammo in the bed.

But really, you should just get a LCTF anyway.
    This is not true. You cannot transport a gun anywhere you want just because it's unloaded. You may only go to and from the places named here;
    http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...out-a-license/

This is why it's a good idea to have a LTCF, even if you don't intend to carry concealed.
    Technically you shouldn't even stop for gas or a potty break while transporting a firearm between the places that are considered exceptions.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(York County)

Avoid the p-22 like the plague. A good 22 would be a ruger mark II a s&w 22A or possibly a buckmark but NOT a p-22.

Also a small light gun will produce more felt recoil. If the larger caliber is for HD only then you may consider a full size firearm. The recoil will be felt less, the capicity is generally larger and with a longer sight radius it will be easier to hit your target.

Reguardless you should also plan to shoot your defensive gun a lot. This will get you used to the recoil, the trigger, cleaning it, and becoming accurate with it. You can do all of this with a .22 but (I believe) it will not be a productive. You may never flinch with a .22 and become an expert with it but if you flinch in a defensive situation and miss your target it could cost you.

It pays to shoot all that you can handle everything and make an educated purchase. The gun you buy could save your life one day.

Shoot often and stay SAFE.

Sid

(Philadelphia County)

22 LR for the range, 9mm for Defense ! Federals Personal Defense ammo has low recoil and flash. It's a good ammo too a toned down hyrda-shok basically.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Delaware County)

Glock 19 and an advantage arms 22 conversion kit. I just saved you a lot of money. Some will undoubtedly make some comment about this gun and small hands, but if every woman I have trained can handle it you should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast