Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Shell-Catcher for Semi-Auto

Anyone have a recommendation on a shell-catcher for a semi-auto (Beretta A303 to be exact)? I want to use it for skeet and don't want to pick up my shells since it breaks up the game rotation. I've only come across one that will supposedly work with two shots/shells -- and I need it to catch two for skeet obviously. However the one I came across that might handle two is the Birchwood Casey "Save-It" but I can't find any reliable info on it if it works and does actually hold two for double shots.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Shell-Catcher for Semi-Auto

Something like this might be better for shotgun than one of the catchers that attaches to the firearm.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=942827
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

From what I have seen, the save-it will only catch one hull in the stove-pipe position, but I have heard of it being able to deflect the hulls downward (instead of out) for doubles if you bend it just right. MY friend had one, and it was basically just a metal plate you double-side tape to the side of the gun, and a wire on a hinge. When the hull ejects, it gets wedged in the ejection port like a stove-pipe. Then for doubles, you move the wire out of the way and the gun functions normally.

The only thing that I know of that will actually CATCH two hulls is the MulitCatch (http://www.multicatch.com/). So far, reviews seem to be pretty good on it, but they don't have one for the 303.

I have a T&S clip-on catcher for my 391 when I shoot trap, and I like it. But it's pretty much useless on the skeet field.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation on a shell-catcher for a semi-auto (Beretta A303 to be exact)? I want to use it for skeet and don't want to pick up my shells since it breaks up the game rotation.
    Can you explain this more? I don't understand the issue you are running into.

I shoot skeet with a semi-auto and so do many of the guys I shoot with. I also shoot with a O/U that ejects (not extract) the shells. None of us pick up our shells until we are done with shooting. Then we all pitch in and pick up all the spent shells. If you don't stick around for a second round or the last round, skeet etiquette says you don't need to pickup your shells, the last group shooting is responsible. This skeet "rule" is in place to help keep the squads moving.
    Toujours prêt

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I shoot skeet with a semi-auto and so do many of the guys I shoot with. I also shoot with a O/U that ejects (not extract) the shells. None of us pick up our shells until we are done with shooting. Then we all pitch in and pick up all the spent shells. If you don't stick around for a second round or the last round, skeet etiquette says you don't need to pickup your shells, the last group shooting is responsible. This skeet "rule" is in place to help keep the squads moving.
    Interesting, this isn't a skeet point of etiquette I've encountered. My understanding from both what I was told by others and what I've observed is that semi-auto and like shooters pick up their shells at each station after everyone's shot there. I've only shot a few times at one place though and that was using someone else's O/U. Doing some online searches after reading this reveals a couple of different etiquette lists. I'll have to find out what my club's guideline is.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Interesting, this isn't a skeet point of etiquette I've encountered. My understanding from both what I was told by others and what I've observed is that semi-auto and like shooters pick up their shells at each station after everyone's shot there. I've only shot a few times at one place though and that was using someone else's O/U. Doing some online searches after reading this reveals a couple of different etiquette lists. I'll have to find out what my club's guideline is.
    Good idea! At your club find out if there is a Skeet or Trap commander. Someone who is in charge of the operation, maintenance, and leagues. I'd go with what he says. Skeet guys are usually a laid back group, but sometimes you'll get an old timer who wants to run things by his own set of rules that don't coincide with the club's rules.

BTW, I've never seen anyone with a shell catcher shooting Skeet. Now if it was trap, you wouldn't last a single round without a shell catcher on a autoloader. Guys that own $20,000 trap guns don't like someones shells bouncing off their stocks. Trap guys are a different breed...uptight!
    Last edited by Hawk; February 14th, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Trap guys are a different breed...uptight!
    That is the most true thing I have heard today. God forbid you call pull too loudly, too softly, scratch your butt, or get a call while you shoot even if your phone is turned off. They can hear the voicemail.

About picking up hulls, unless people are reloading, we have always done it that everybody pitches in after the shooting is done and it takes less than 5 minutes. Reloaders though police their hulls at the end of each stations o nobody steps on them.

(Northampton County)

i just bought a super vinci and i am looking for a shell catch, does anyone know if there is one made for this gun yet? thanks.

If you are only looking to catch a single shot at a time, then the Birchwood Casey "Save-It" mentioned above would work. A rubber band also works for catching single hulls.

(Northampton County)

i may have to go with the rubber band, because i don't want to stick something on the receiver (with adhesive). the only thing i saw on their website is the save-it. when i had my 1187 i used to have a metal clip that i put on that worked like the save it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast