Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it legal to transport PA

I would like to go to some shooting ranges in PA, but not sure if I can legally transport a pistol or shotgun from Jersey to PA. I would be leaving my residence and going strait to the range. Any input would be appreciated. I do have a Florida CCW permit, but not sure how well that goes over in PA or if it would even come into play or not.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Is it legal to transport PA

Wow, where to do want to legally transport PA?!!? J/K

Pa recognizes the Fl permit, but don't know the laws in NJ for transporting firearms.

You can CC in PA with a FL permit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Schuylkill County)

NJ law allows you to transport a firearm in the trunk of your car unloaded when you are traveling to a range to shoot the gun, and directly home. It does not specify where the range might be. PA law is the same unless you have a license. I would stay away from hollow point ammo though.

The Florida out of state CCW gives you the same rights as a PA LTCF (reciprocity) which means you can carry a loaded weapon in a car or concealed on your person. In this case, the Florida license does nothing for you since you are going directly to and from your home and a shooting range anyway and NJ does not recognize the Florida license.

(Berks County)

Please don't transport PA, leave it where it is. Well, actually a few days next to Nevada might clear my driveway now that I think about it.

The other questions... Shotgun has to be unloaded in a car. Pistol can be concealed or OC in PA with a FL license (Philly doesn't believe it). Don't know about NJ transport... Unless you get Chris Chrisite on speed dial to commute any convictions.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    I would stay away from hollow point ammo though.
    From what I recently read, you can possess hollow-point ammo on your property in NJ, or when transporting as long as you are following the standard transport rules. I was surprised because I had thought that hollow point ammo was completely banned in NJ, but this is not the case.

Updated with link to info: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html
    Last edited by Siggy; February 13th, 2011 at 11:37 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    Pistol can be concealed or OC in PA with a FL license (Philly doesn't believe it)..
    Carrying in vehicle is considered "transport", there is no such thing as OC or CC in a vehicle. OC and CC are terms that are applied outside of vehicles according to PA law

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Carrying in vehicle is considered "transport", there is no such thing as OC or CC in a vehicle. OC and CC are terms that are applied outside of vehicles according to PA law
    Possessing a LTCF enables you to carry a loaded firearm within reach in a vehicle - without a LTCF you cannot. I think that's where this becomes more than a "transoprt" issue.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
    Possessing a LTCF enables you to carry a loaded firearm within reach in a vehicle - without a LTCF you cannot. I think that's where this becomes more than a "transoprt" issue.
    There is no OC or CC in a vehicle. A LTCF allows you to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle. It doesnt matter if it is in reach or not. Loaded = LTCF

You can transport an unloaded one without a LTCF under some exceptions (to/from range). Etc

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    Please don't transport PA, leave it where it is. Well, actually a few days next to Nevada might clear my driveway now that I think about it.

The other questions... Shotgun has to be unloaded in a car. Pistol can be concealed or OC in PA with a FL license (Philly doesn't believe it). Don't know about NJ transport... Unless you get Chris Chrisite on speed dial to commute any convictions.
    NJ exception and transport methodology:

NJS 2C:39-6

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
    (3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder;

g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
    Remember that the exception requires you to be going DIRECTLY to/from the range so. IMO. that means that the range is your first non-travel related stop (travel related = gas, rest room, etc) going into Pa AND your last non-travel stop on the return leg. Your FL CCW allows you to go basically anywhere in Pa with a handgun but, again, you first/last stops on leaving/entering NJ must be the range.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    There is no OC or CC in a vehicle. A LTCF allows you to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle. It doesnt matter if it is in reach or not. Loaded = LTCF

You can transport an unloaded one without a LTCF under some exceptions (to/from range). Etc
    Loaded longarms in a vehicle are forbidden. An LTCF only allows loaded 6102 firearms (handguns, SBR, SBS).
    Last edited by tl_3237; February 13th, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post

Loaded longarms in a vehicle are forbidden. An LTCF only allows loaded 6102 firearms (handguns, SBR, SBS).
    right. How is that any different from
    What I posted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast