Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to PA and need some clarification

Hey Forum Members,

I am new to the forum and to PA actually. I recently moved from Nazi New Jersey (as far as gun laws are concerned). I am looking to purchase a firearm. Actually just a .22 Rifle of some sort. I am not new to firearms but I am new to PA law. I didnt have a firearm in NJ because of some of the people I lived with, the law would not allow me to obtain a firearm if you live in a household with someone who is denied from having one themselves. Anyway, I am a 26 year old male with a clean adult record. While i was in college at Bloomsburg University i was cited for 3 underage drinking violations. My last one was in 2005. I didnt try to fight the charges I just paid the fines. The last one, got my license suspended for 6 months in the state of PA. Being that these were all before I was 21, and its been 6 years and these were my only run in's with the law in pa, will I be able to purchase a firearm in PA? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to PA and need some clarification

None of that will affect you being able to get a Firearm and/or LTCF in PA. Welcome to the United States!

Why would they suspend your drivers license for underage drinking? What's the penalty if you're not a driver? That doesn't make sense.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to Pa
    As long you don't have any felonies on your record you are good to buy firearms.

(Allegheny County)

Wink Re: New to PA and need some clarification

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    None of that will affect you being able to get a Firearm and/or LTCF in PA. Welcome to the United States!
    I'll second the "Welcome to the USA!" I'm surpised the Stazi didn't try to gun you down for going over the wall!

Thanks for the clarification guys. Although I do love Jersey, for somethings, it is just getting ridiculous to not only live there and try to maintain your life, especially what they are charging in property taxes, etc. but now that Christie is Governor, I am so glad I am out of there. Anyways, thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be posting more often to get fellow forum members opinions on things.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    Why would they suspend your drivers license for underage drinking? What's the penalty if you're not a driver? That doesn't make sense.
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pa_driversmanual/chapter_4.pdf

UNDERAGE DRINKING
    If you are under age 21, it is against the law to buy alcohol, consume alcohol, have alcohol in your possession or have alcohol in the vehicle you are driving. Even if you are not driving, your driving privilege will be suspended if you are under 21 years of age and are convicted of lying about your age to obtain alcohol, carrying a false ID card, or purchasing, consuming, possessing or transporting alcohol. In addition, if you are underage and are arrested and detained for blood, breath and/or urine testing, parental consent to conduct these tests is not required, but the police will notify your parents of the arrest.

The minimum penalties for underage drinking are as follows:
    • A fine of up to $500 plus court costs.
    • A 90-day suspension for the first offense.
    • A one (1) year suspension for the second offense.
    • A two (2) year suspension for the third and subsequent offenses.

The courts may require you to be evaluated to determine the extent of your involvement with alcohol and may also require you to successfully complete a program of alcohol education, intervention or counseling.

If you do not have a driver's license, you will be ineligible to apply for a learner's permit for the time period of the suspension. If you are under 16 years of age, your suspension will not begin until your 16th birthday,
    provided you acknowledge your suspension, and it is received any time prior to your 16th birthday. In addition to serving a suspension, a restoration fee must be paid before your driver’s license will be returned or your application for a Non-Commercial Learner's Permit (DL-180) considered for processing.

ONE FACT REMAINS: It is against the law for anyone under age 21 to consume, possess or transport alcohol. Again, remember, if you are cited for underage drinking, a vehicle does not have to be involved for you to lose your driving privilege. DO NOT risk the consequences.

Adults, even parents, who are convicted of knowingly and intentionally supplying minors with alcohol are subject to a fine of at least $1,000 for the first offense and $2,500 for each additional offense and face up to one year in jail. Adults are even liable for guests who drink in their homes. If, for example, you had 17 teenagers in your home for a party and they were drinking alcohol, the party could cost you $41,000. That’s $1,000 for the first teenage drinker and $2,500 for each of the other 16 drinkers.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Heym View Post
    Hey Forum Members,

I am new to the forum and to PA actually. I recently moved from Nazi New Jersey (as far as gun laws are concerned). I am looking to purchase a firearm. Actually just a .22 Rifle of some sort. I am not new to firearms but I am new to PA law. I didnt have a firearm in NJ because of some of the people I lived with, the law would not allow me to obtain a firearm if you live in a household with someone who is denied from having one themselves. Anyway, I am a 26 year old male with a clean adult record. While i was in college at Bloomsburg University i was cited for 3 underage drinking violations. My last one was in 2005. I didnt try to fight the charges I just paid the fines. The last one, got my license suspended for 6 months in the state of PA. Being that these were all before I was 21, and its been 6 years and these were my only run in's with the law in pa, will I be able to purchase a firearm in PA? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Like everyone else said, it won't affect buying firearms in PA. I lived in Md, and I got two offenses in PA back in the day and lost my license for a while. Both underage drinking (but not driving) I have purchased many guns since becoming a PA resident. Enjoy.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Heym View Post
    Thanks for the clarification guys. Although I do love Jersey, for somethings, it is just getting ridiculous to not only live there and try to maintain your life, especially what they are charging in property taxes, etc. but now that Christie is Governor, I am so glad I am out of there. Anyways, thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be posting more often to get fellow forum members opinions on things.
    I can think of quite a few better reasons to be out of NJ. From where I can see it, he is doing a decent job over there.

ETA: I work in NJ and every night when I drive back across the bridge (and pay bail) I feel like I got paroled.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Welcome to freedom, I escaped 10 years ago. The only things worth while over there is the pizza and Atco.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I can think of quite a few better reasons to be out of NJ. From where I can see it, he is doing a decent job over there.

ETA: I work in NJ and every night when I drive back across the bridge (and pay bail) I feel like I got paroled.
    I hate having to work in that S-hole of a state too. Seriously it really does feel like getting paroled.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast