Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 6.8mm Rem. SPC. Do you believe the hype?

problem solved

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by wslowik View Post

problem solved
    Yeah, although it might be "perfect" for some, I still don't really get it. I've got 5.56mm, 5.45mm, 7.62x39mm, and 7.62x51mm. One of those oughta do it. I figure I can live without 6.8mm and 6.5mm.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Well I like a 6lb semi auto rifle that has a 16" barrel, a rail for NVDs and EOTechs to hunt hogs and deer with. Actually sold all of my 308s except an HK after I started using the 6.8.
    Still have custom .243s and a 6.5-08AI for long distance precision work.

It's better! Period!
    Proudly served.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    Alexander Arms makes the Grendel and the Beowulf. Demand is so high that a new order with them might take 6 months for delivery. If they cannot keep up with the "word of mouth" advertisements now, I can't imagine them advertising for any more sales.
    Just my thought.....
    So does AA have a patented on the Grendel where they are the only ones that can make the correct uppers, or are they just the only ones making them?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    So does AA have a patented on the Grendel where they are the only ones that can make the correct uppers, or are they just the only ones making them?
    They have a trademark on the name "Grendel".
    Anyone can make it if they don't call it a Grendel.
    6.5CSS, 6.5x39 and seems like a few others are the same with a different name.
    I have a wildcat called the Banshee I just changed the angle of the Grendel shoulder so it would feed better and gained 1/2gr capacity while I was at it.

Several companies have a license to produce the Grendel.

(Berks County)

I love shooting my 6.8mm SPC M-4 but it is very expensive. Great flat shooter.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Northampton County)

Much of what you are discussing depends on the bullet type used. The M193 is a FMJ but the high velocity from a 20 or 16 inch barrel blows it up like a varmint JHP at least in the first 175 yards. Ballistic Jello tests pictures or diagrams can be found on the internet. The M855 bullet is harder and our troops are using a 14.5 inch barrel. We have lost some of that close up stopping power that we had back in the Viet Nan era. The whole purpuse of the 6.8 SPC is hit harder out at 400 to 700 yards. The 6.8 is an outstanding round the equal of the great 257 roberts but it fits in a 223 length action.. I really can't understand why Remington is not pushing it as a deer cartridge in cute and handy carbines..

The green tip was designed to shoot armoured soviet troops. Now we have to shoot fanatics wearing robes at distances measured feet. Maybe all of our troops should be shooting a very thin jacketed 62 grain lead core ball round that will fragment from a short barrel velocity. Or screw the rules and give them a 62 grain hollow point.

(Philadelphia County)

I believe both the 6.8 & 6.5 have an edge over the 5.56 in lethality, and also in barrier and light armor penetration.
    Now I also believe that the 6.8 is a better round for CQB from a shorter barreled rifle, but the 6.5 has the advantage over longer range.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    I believe both the 6.8 & 6.5 have an edge over the 5.56 in lethality, and also in barrier and light armor penetration.
    Now I also believe that the 6.8 is a better round for CQB from a shorter barreled rifle, but the 6.5 has the advantage over longer range.
    So what are you considering longer range? I would love to add a SBR AR type rifle and am thinking about a piston based one. I'm not sure what I will get but have been thinking about a SIG 556 pistol to SBR or getting something like a short 6.8 piston upper.

After seeing that video that you linked to in another tread show that what 7 inch 6.8 upper hitting a target out 300 meters, I was pretty impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast