Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Carbon County LTCF References

Hello, I recently moved to Carbon County and I need 1 reference for a LTCF application. Anybody that lives in Carbon that can provide me a reference would be much appreciated! Sucks that I cant use people from Monroe county for it, since I really dont know anyone around here yet.
    Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carbon County LTCF References

Quote Originally Posted by epointer View Post
    Hello, I recently moved to Carbon County and I need 1 reference for a LTCF application. Anybody that lives in Carbon that can provide me a reference would be much appreciated! Sucks that I cant use people from Monroe county for it, since I really dont know anyone around here yet.
    Thanks
    You can use anybody you want....except family members. If the people you know are in Monroe use them. Sheriff can not require in county references

(Carbon County)

Yes I understand that is the law, but he did say that they have to be. Even though he is wrong I figured I would just try this before I push the issue with him.

(Berks County)

but he did say that they have to be.
    Unfortunately, if nobody pushes the issue, he'll never change his (incorrect) ways. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you don't want to push the issue, and I'm not blaming you.

There are dozens of topics on PAFOA regarding issuing authorities acting outside the law. With the majority of them, nobody pushes the issue, and the issuing authority continues to violate the law. Monroe County requiring references comes to mind.

If you won't push the issue, who will?

If Mike Stollenwerk hadn't sued the PSP over the social security number requirement, would the PSP still be requiring people's SSNs for transfers? I've seen people on PAFOA accomplish some really impressive stuff. And it usually starts with one person that has had enough and decides to do something about it.

This is the official application (SP4-127) regarding references:

§6109(c)
    (c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. One of the following reasons for obtaining a firearm license shall be set forth in the application: self-defense, employment, hunting and fishing, target shooting, gun collecting or another proper reason. The application form shall be dated and signed by the applicant and shall contain the following statement:
    <snip>
    He is wrong.

(but IANAL)
    Last edited by anonymouse; February 11th, 2011 at 05:34 PM.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by epointer View Post
    Thanks
    I am running against the current serving sheriff in Carbon County. If I'm elected I will not require references to be "in County". The other thing that I will do is reduce the fee for a LTCF. The legal amount the County can charge is $25.00 and they are charging in excess of that currently.

We are going to meet at the Bowmanstown Rod and Gun club on February 19th, you are all welcome attend our meeting and bring up any issues that you would like me to address.

We are also going to form a sheriff's posse and you can read about that on my web site.

The time of the meeting will be announced and will be posted on my facebook page.

http://armbruster4sheriff.com/

Thank you,
    Steven Armbruster

(Carbon County)

Well until we get another Sheriff in there we will have to deal with what we got.

So anybody want to help me out, I will do the same in return if you need it.

(Carbon County)

No one? Looks like I will have to use someone in Monroe county and argue with the sheriff about it.

(Northampton County)

I think you are better off getting a reference out of county than asking some strangers on a public forum to vouch for you on a legal form. Become active in a club in your area and get to know fellow firearm enthusiasts. This way you have some local contacts you can list for your renewal if the local sheriff continues to disregard PA law.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    I think you are better off getting a reference out of county than asking some strangers on a public forum to vouch for you on a legal form. Become active in a club in your area and get to know fellow firearm enthusiasts. This way you have some local contacts you can list for your renewal if the local sheriff continues to disregard PA law.
    It may be a legal form, but I don't believe there are any repercussions for your references if you decide to commit a crime while possessing a LTCF.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacp View Post
    I am running against the current serving sheriff in Carbon County. If I'm elected I will not require references to be "in County". The other thing that I will do is reduce the fee for a LTCF. The legal amount the County can charge is $25.00 and they are charging in excess of that currently.

We are going to meet at the Bowmanstown Rod and Gun club on February 19th, you are all welcome attend our meeting and bring up any issues that you would like me to address.

We are also going to form a sheriff's posse and you can read about that on my web site.

The time of the meeting will be announced and will be posted on my facebook page.

http://armbruster4sheriff.com/

Thank you,
    Steven Armbruster
    I just got the LTCF yesterday, and they do not overcharge for it. It was $25 just like it was supposed to be. I was in and out in less than 15 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast