Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default !911 vs other 45 autos

i've seen the diff. 1911's, was looking at 45's like the xd
    big price diff.
    the frames look similiar?
    are their major diff. in internals?
    or is it just a personal preference?
    to a novice like me they look quite similiar.
    any feedback?
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"

Default Re: !911 vs other 45 autos

Mostly just look and feel, the 1911 has a unique feel to it. Very few guns can match the feel of a 1911. The most outstanding feature if your 1911 has a good 3.5lb trigger is the smooth crisp release the XD nor the Glock or PX4 or P85 can match the trigger drop of the 1911.

Other then that the new 45acp are superior in firepower and weight. For example the G21sf is 13 shots of 45acp compared to 7 or 8 in the 1911.

(Allegheny County)

Cool Re: !911 vs other 45 autos

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Other then that the new 45acp are superior in firepower and weight. For example the G21sf is 13 shots of 45acp compared to 7 or 8 in the 1911.
    Well, thanks to Chip McCormick, some of us call get 11 shots out of OUR 1911's...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Well, thanks to Chip McCormick, some of us call get 11 shots out of OUR 1911's...
    And thanks to magpul, some of us can get 30 shots out of our Glock...

http://www.topglock.com/item/189104_..._Extensio.aspx

Trying to explain the .45 ACP universe in the scope of a single thread post is a bit like trying to fill a quart Mason jar to the stuffed brim with lightning bugs. I could do it, it would be terribly time consuming and messy to boot, and the final product wouldn't be terribly illuminating for all the hard work that went into it. Really, you need to read up a bit from learned sources, handle a few pistols, shoot some if you can, and disabuse yourself of the notion, if you've been affected by it, that a .45 ACP round will kill a man stone dead if it merely parts his hair. Shot placement is more important than anything else in the ultimate physics problem of what happens when a bullet finds itself in a warm and happy place.

I say "learned" simply because the internet is full of fluff from happy but very inexperienced fanboys who loudly tout whatever it is that got touted to them by someone that they perceive to have just slightly more testosterone than they do. Thusly, you'll get folks screaming "GLOCK PERFECTION!" in one corner, and the HK-insistent in another, and in a third the nothing-but-SIG snobs, some of them so deep-pocketed that they're literally buying a new pistol every thirty days and rarely shooting any of them. And then there are the Walther collectors, and the Browning Hi-Power acolytes, and the, and the, etc. Did I mention the 1911 purists yet, or the fact that they face off, brand cheerleaders vs. brand cheerleaders, too?

If I were you, I'd try going to a place like Cabela's on a slow night, getting a number, and then hefting a few different pistols at the counter to see what they feel like in the hand. If you can get a chance to shoot a few different pistols, you may come to quickly realize that you'll have preferences based on the way that they recoil, or the way that they sit in the hand relative to the angle of the grip, or the height of the bore, or one of a variety of variables. Even then, none of this will touch upon the experience of carry, which will involve, among other things, weight (yours and the pistol's), the pistol's size, and holster availability. Just don't make the error of buying pistols without research and careful consideration. You'll rarely get all of your money back out of a mistake, and there's usually a good reason why a cheap pistol is cheap.

Well compared to the XD since that's what you mentioned the differences are:

1. steel frame vs polymer frame
    2. hammer fired vs striker fired
    3. Single stack vs double stack
    4. price

1911's cost more because they cost more to make. They are all metal and all the parts must be machined.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldershrek View Post
    Well compared to the XD since that's what you mentioned the differences are:

1. steel frame vs polymer frame
    2. hammer fired vs striker fired
    3. Single stack vs double stack
    4. price

1911's cost more because they cost more to make. They are all metal and all the parts must be machined.
    Going back to what I was saying about the learned: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45.asp

(York County)

Well my 1911 holds 13 rds and does it in a concealable, lightweight, officer size platform with no extension at all....

To the OP, yes there is a lot of differences between 1911's and other guns like the xd, glock, etc. A 1911 is a single action/hammer fired pistol. Xd's and Glocks are striker fired and have no manual safeties.
    They all launch .45 cal bullets, but their design, operation and "feel" are different.

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Going back to what I was saying about the learned: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45.asp

I can't view the link where I am

(York County)

There are a few different grades of 1911's based on the amount of time spent on the assembly process. Some are mere parts put together with minimal fitting and others have just about every part of them hand fitted.

As was mentioned previously do some research. I'm sure you'll find a lot of reading material if you look.

sid

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast