Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default What .38 for defense?

My friend wants to buy a .38 that he and his wife will be able to use for home defense. He is not looking for a .357 or an autoloader, and he already has a shotgun in the home.

He wants a small frame .38 that his wife will be able to operate. No bells and whistles (lasers.) He may carry it and may target shoot with it as well. Shrouded hammer would be a plus. Price around (or under) $500. Reliability is important.

I don't own any revolvers so I'm looking to you guys for a little helpful advice. Thank you in advance.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: What .38 for defense?

S&W J frame. Multiple models with shrouded hammers for under $500

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w..._757767_757751

(Jefferson County)

Any .38.. lol S&W, Ruger, Taurus, and Rossi all make .38s. For a shrouded hammer you'll have to narrow that to S&W and Taurus. Of those two, S&W beats Taurus every day of the week.

Your friend and his wife just need to go to a few gun shops and molest a few guns. Even though what they are looking for is the J-frame platform, which they are pretty much all the same in mechanics and size -they do have a few differing features.

Take them over to Ace's on US19. They usually have a big selection to look through.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    S&W J frame. Multiple models with shrouded hammers for under $500

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w..._757767_757751
    I was actually on their website looking at the J-frames before I made this post. The problem is I can't tell the difference between a lot of those models. I'm kind of overwhelmed. Do any of those models have a better reputation than others?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I was actually on their website looking at the J-frames before I made this post. The problem is I can't tell the difference between a lot of those models. I'm kind of overwhelmed. Do any of those models have a better reputation than others?
    A J-frame is pretty much a J-frame. Reputation is nearly the same throughout the line. The mechanical parts are the same. The only differing features are finish, barrel length, shrouding, build-materials, etc.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Take them over to Ace's on US19. They usually have a big selection to look through.
    Not to sidetrack my own thread, but he was actually at Ace this afternoon before he called me. He left because one of their salesmen rubbed him the wrong way. I'm not surprised. I've personally been insulted twice by their staff, and everyone I know has similar stories.

Anyway, thank you for your advice about the J-frames. It's good to know they are pretty much the same gun. That makes it a lot easier.

(Centre County)

642 or 442 gets my vote.

From what my hand tells me, these seem to kick more than some other .38's I've shot, but not crazy. You can also find new one's without the lock if that bothers you. Forget long target shooting sessions with these models unless you change the grips, IMO. Mine was around $350 OTD.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Susquehanna County)

I suggest a Smith & Wesson K frame Model 10 (personally I like and use a 4" heavy barrel model). But, there are many in excellent condition on the used market for reasonable prices. Barrels lengths can be found in 2", 4" and 6". For defense ammo I suggest the 158 gr. lead hollow point +P cartridge loaded by Winchester. It is a replication of the FBI load.

I suggest the K frame since it is only slightly larger and heavier that the J frame, so it is no more difficult to conceal or carry, but the added heft reduces felt recoil and to a degree blast.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I suggest a Smith & Wesson K frame Model 10 (personally I like and use a 4" heavy barrel model). But, there are many in excellent condition on the used market for reasonable prices. Barrels lengths can be found in 2", 4" and 6". For defense ammo I suggest the 158 gr. lead hollow point +P cartridge loaded by Winchester. It is a replication of the FBI load.

I suggest the K frame since it is only slightly larger and heavier that the J frame, so it is no more difficult to conceal or carry, but the added heft reduces felt recoil and to a degree blast.
    Agreed, and rep on the way.

J frames are easy to carry, not easy to shoot.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Delaware County)

I have a 4" heavy barrel model 10 and it is very easy to shoot. It was a Police trade in and I got it for a good price years ago. I think it is a great hd weapon when paired with a decent shotgun.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast