Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Thoughts on 1911 OWB holster, specifically Fobus E2???

I've been looking for a good OWB holster for my railed 1911 for a while now, and I've considered both belt and paddle styles. I'm new to OWB holsters, and a little concerned that a belt holster will allow the gun to flop around unless my belt is really tight. On the other hand, I feel like a paddle holster might shift position on me or try to slide off when I sit down. I'm hoping some 1911 OWB carriers can chime in here to tell me if my concerns are unfounded.

Those of you that carry railed 1911's in OWB holsters, what rig do you use? likes/dislikes?

In my OWB search I recently came across the Fobus E2 Paddle Holster . . . does anyone have any personal experience with this holster? On paper it looks pretty good: inexpensive, adjustable retention, rubberized paddle, etc. It doesn't have a back strap for condition one carry, but I'm not entirely convinced that's something I want.

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Thoughts on 1911 OWB holster, specifically Fobus E2???

My thoughts and opinions?
    Don't buy anything with the name Fobus on it, except maybe mag pouches. Maybe mag pouches.

This is what you want.

http://www.atomicdogholsters.com/Main.html
    Last edited by rwb1500; February 10th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Philadelphia County)

Get yourself a good gunbelt first. Galco makes excellent gunbelts made of saddle leather
    1/4 inch thick ! Second, a good owb scabbard pancake holster, either Galco or desantis will due. A speed scabbard works better with a long slide gun like a 1911 or beretta 92 fs. This combanation will keep you from having to make your belt so tight that your limbs get numb from lack of blood, and it will keep your pants from falling down because it actually is able to support the wieght of the gun. The Galco belts don't get floppy or soft. You'll be able to have a gun and wear it like an everyday person. Cheap belts do not work for carrying a handgun. The only cheap belt that is decent is a Dickies reversible, it's almost 1/4 inch thick ! The Galco will run you $60 to $80 bucks but will last forever and work better than anything.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Northampton County)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I own a Crossbreed belt that I use with my IWB carry rig. I've used that belt in conjunction with a crossbreed supertuck to carry my PT709 for 5-6 months, but I just haven't found it to be comfortable while sitting or driving. I plan on keeping that setup because it's excellent for deep concealment, but I could really use a comfortable OWB holster when I can carry the 1911. I have spent some time looking over the DeSantis selection, I'll have to check out Galco. Any other suggestions out there?

Bummer to hear the negative thoughts on Fobus . . . I assume you had a bad experience with their products?
    Last edited by BionicMan; February 10th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.

(Northampton County)

Galco Concealable Belt holster.

I have one for every gun I carry - 1911s, Glocks, S&W Revolver. For a non-retention holster, I don't think it can be beat - for the money. Granted, it's a $90 holster - but a Milt Sparks can be triple.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    Get yourself a good gunbelt first. Galco makes excellent gunbelts made of saddle leather
    1/4 inch thick ! Second, a good owb scabbard pancake holster, either Galco or desantis will due. A speed scabbard works better with a long slide gun like a 1911 or beretta 92 fs. This combanation will keep you from having to make your belt so tight that your limbs get numb from lack of blood, and it will keep your pants from falling down because it actually is able to support the wieght of the gun. The Galco belts don't get floppy or soft. You'll be able to have a gun and wear it like an everyday person. Cheap belts do not work for carrying a handgun. The only cheap belt that is decent is a Dickies reversible, it's almost 1/4 inch thick ! The Galco will run you $60 to $80 bucks but will last forever and work better than anything.
    This is my carry set up, The DeSanta pancake speed holster, fits tight and keeps my 1911 flat against my side, rides high on the waist for shorter jackets or coats ect....a good heavy belt is a plus!
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

(Monroe County)

Don Hume makes a variety of holsters and they seem to be of very good quality and price.

(Northampton County)

/\ Those are EXACTLY what I was just looking at, specifically this model . . .
    http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=42

Seems like a bargain, any personal experiences on this one?

(Monroe County)

I personally haven't bought any leather holsters since I started making them but there are several guys on here that sport Hume holsters and swear by them.

(Northampton County)

Interesting. What's your primary material in your custom holsters?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast