Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default New To PAFOA And Returning To Erie.

I was born and raised in Erie PA, after retiring my wife and I relocated to the upstate of South Carolina. Yes, we are moving back to the land of snow and ice, Erie PA. It’s our home and our family is here. Anyway, during our few years in the South I received my South Carolina Conceded Weapons Permit and to be legal during visits to PA and a few other states I also got my New Hampshire Non Resident permit. Once we relocate and become a resident of PA I was wondering if I will be legal to carry with my New Hampshire non resident permit until I can get my PA concealed carry license?

It's good to be coming home. I know, midway during this long and cold Erie winter your thinking, what is he nuts?

Default Re: New To PAFOA And Returning To Erie.

IANAL but according to the map on this website http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...ry/reciprocity Legal Heat(iphone app),and usacarry.com. Your good to go with your New Hampshire permit. Once again tho I am not a lawyer.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by weddin00 View Post
    IANAL but according to the map on this website http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...ry/reciprocity Legal Heat(iphone app),and usacarry.com. Your good to go with your New Hampshire permit. Once again tho I am not a lawyer.
    Thank you for your response. I knew PA honors NH permits but is that just if your visiting PA? I’ll be a resident and while I’m waiting for my PA license can I carry and be legal with my NH permit? That’s my dilemma.

Thank you

To my knowledge you can carry in PA with any permit recognized by PA. The So called Florid loophole. Even if you live there and don't have a PA Ltcf, if you have a reciprocity state permit you'll be fine. Edit: I am not a lawyer.
    Last edited by weddin00; February 10th, 2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Added ianal

Quote Originally Posted by 40calman View Post
    Thank you for your response. I knew PA honors NH permits but is that just if your visiting PA? I’ll be a resident and while I’m waiting for my PA license can I carry and be legal with my NH permit? That’s my dilemma.

Thank you
    FWIW, I believe that getting a LTCF in Erie takes less than a week from what I recall seeing on other threads here

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    FWIW, I believe that getting a LTCF in Erie takes less than a week from what I recall seeing on other threads here
    Bob & Sandy won't deny you your rights under law...my last renewal took 3 days. That's only because the mail went to Pittsburgh first then back to Erie.
    There's no place like home is there...no matter how cold & snowy it gets.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40calman View Post

Thank you
    Yes, with a valid reciprocal license/permit you are covered in PA. From the PA Attorney General's website:

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    A week? Heh, I got mine on the spot. Filled out the app and Sheriff Merski ran my app and backround check, took my picture and handed me my LTCF. Took 15 minutes.
    Last edited by 1quikmf; February 10th, 2011 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1quikmf View Post
    A week? Heh, I got mine on the spot. Filled out the app and Sheriff Merski ran my app and backround check, took my picture and handed me my LTCF. Took 15 minutes.
    There ya go... even better

Thumbs up Re: New To PAFOA And Returning To Erie.

Took me less than a week as well right here in Erie.
    -Champion5-