Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Never reloaded before with a few questions

Well after much thought and research on the forums I belong to, I decided to purchase my first setup to initially reload 10mm fmj. If I catch the reloading bug, I will expand calibers and upgrade equipment in the future.

I just bought the following items from various sources including, Midway USA, Ebay and Amazon:

Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook
    Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition Book
    Lee 50th Anniversary kit 90050
    Lee improved powder measure kit (dippers)
    4 xtra Lee quicklock bushings
    Lee deluxe 4 die carbide set for .40 s&w and 10mm
    Frankford Arsenal puller
    Frankford Arsenal perfect fit reloading trays
    Frankford Arsenal Digital 6" stainless steel caliper
    RCBS Scale Check Weights 60.5 grains
    Hong Kong digital pocket scale (5 different measurement units including grains)

I know I have quite a bit of equipment yet to buy including a tumbler, hand primer setup, dillion or wilson case gage & loaded round gage, ammo boxes, labels, powder, primers, projectiles but have a few questions.

I don't even plan on unpacking everything until I read both books completely.

Here are my questions:

1. Any other suggested books or other media sources?
    2. Is there a local Reloading supplier in the general area of Philadelphia for powder and primers?
    3. Anyone know of any classes for the novice reloader?
    4. Any experienced reloaders out there willing to meet and guide me through the setup and first run with my single stage press?
    Last edited by PhillyG29; February 11th, 2011 at 03:34 AM. Reason: bought a few more items
    G20 & G29 Member NRA; Life Member North American Fishing Club

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Never reloaded before with a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyG29 View Post
    ... If I catch the reloading bug, I will expand calibers and upgrade equipment in the future. ...
    It's really not "IF" but WHEN

The only thing I would suggest getting before you start, and you've got a good start, is a vernier caliper. Digital calipers are for lazy people and need a battery. A large dial vernier caliper (0 to 6") is easy to use, read, set and worth the $$$

You can pick one up at Harbor Freight for a reasonal price. The one I use is just as accurate as my Starrets and if it gets knocked off the bench .... no great loss.

Welcome to your new lifestyle.

(Columbia County)

Well after much thought and research on the forums I belong to, I decided to purchase my first setup to initially reload 10mm fmj. If I catch the reloading bug, I will expand calibers and upgrade equipment in the future.

I bought the following items from various sources including, Midway USA, Ebay and Amazon:

Frankford Arsenal puller

I know I have quite a bit of equipment yet to buy including a tumbler, digital caliper, better scale, hand primer setup, dillion case gage, ammo boxes, labels, powder, primers, projectiles but have a few questions.

Here are my questions:

2. Is there a local Reloading supplier in the general area of Philadelphia for powder and primers?
    4. Any experienced reloaders out there willing to meet and guide me through the setup and first run with my single stage press?
    1. IMO, those are the two best reloading manuals. PAFOA is one of the best resources you can have. I still learn new things every week from these guys.
    2. don't know
    3. I know that Cabelas periodically has classes at their retail stores. However, I'd imagine those classes are dominated by fishing since spring is coming up. I also doubt they go very much in depth.
    4. Long way from my neck of the woods.

It sounds like you already have a good amount of equipment and a good list of other stuff to buy.

When you buy brass, my suggestion is to buy once-fired. New brass is expensive and as soon as you shoot it the first time, it's once-fired anyhow. Unless you're loading for long range rifle accuracy, I can't think of a good enough reason to warrant the extra money for new brass (unless you can't find any once-fired).

I use Precision Delta 165gr FMJ bullets for my 10mm range loads. I use 180gr Gold Dot bullets for my defense loads. I use Alliant Blue Dot for range loads and AA#9 for defense loads.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    It's really not "IF" but WHEN

The only thing I would suggest getting before you start, and you've got a good start, is a vernier caliper. Digital calipers are for lazy people and need a battery. A large dial vernier caliper (0 to 6") is easy to use, read, set and worth the $$$

You can pick one up at Harbor Freight for a reasonal price. The one I use is just as accurate as my Starrets and if it gets knocked off the bench .... no great loss.

Welcome to your new lifestyle.
    Some people call digital calipers lazy. I call them a means of increased productivity rates!

I used to be a mechanic and I used vernier calipers everyday. I know how to use them and can get a measurement quickly. However, there is a degree of subjectivity and human error in vernier calipers that does not exist (or at least mitigated to a great degree) in digital calipers. Once I used digital calipers for the first time, I was amazed and never looked back. They're quick, accurate, and precise. I exclusively use digital calipers while my vernier collects dust. I've had my digital calipers for two or three years now and am still on the same battery it came with.

Everyone has their own opinions... But my suggestion is to go with a digital caliper. I also prefer digital scales as well. After all, it's the digital age!!!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Some people call digital calipers lazy. I call them a means of increased productivity rates!
    I own/have owned all three types (Vernier/dial/digital), and like to use the dial type best of all, but where I find the digital to excel is its easy and quick ability to tare, and switch to metric when needed (a lot in my case).

In my experience, the $8.99 shipped to your door digital calipers are plenty good for most reloading chores, but obviously are not made with the same care and attention to detail as ones costing a whole lot more. Areas where this is most evident in my experience concerns jaws not exactly square, bowed beams, and overall feel is kinda lousy... Can't expect perfection for $9.

(Monroe County)

Don't forget a set of scale check weights. I have been using the scale that came with my anniversary kit for almost 15 years. It has worked as intended all those years. Just use the weights to set the scale for the charge weight you need.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I bought the following items from various sources including, Midway USA, Ebay and Amazon:

Frankford Arsenal puller

I know I have quite a bit of equipment yet to buy including a tumbler, digital caliper, better scale, hand primer setup, dillion case gage, ammo boxes, labels, powder, primers, projectiles but have a few questions.

Here are my questions:

Looks like you have it all pretty much covered.

The LEE scale with the kit is more than merely "accurate", it has no batteries to fail, and once zeroed and set on your bench, should remain at zero until you move it. A good item. Digitals have their advantages, but certain operating limitations ("disadvantages") too.

Calipers, as above. Digital are nice, but beware you do not inadvertently knock the zero off. They all have their advantages and "limitations", too. Just learn them and use them with care.

Tumbler is nice, but you can get cases clean enough for reloading, without them having to be new-shiny. Thousands of us shot bazillions of rounds for half a century without using tumblers. It just makes shiny brass easier for old eyes to see in the grass at the range.

Read the stickies at the top for a lot of info on suppliers. If you have the few days to wait for shippment, ordering on the web is easier and cheaper by far.

Oh, and welcome to the hobby, occupation, obsession.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Never reloaded before with a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    When you buy brass, my suggestion is to buy once-fired. New brass is expensive and as soon as you shoot it the first time, it's once-fired anyhow. U
    I have found that new 10mm brass from StarlineBrass.com is just as cheap as any of the once-fired brass sources I've seen listed here.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't already been covered is...
    don't try to out think your reloading manual.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    I have found that new 10mm brass from StarlineBrass.com is just as cheap as any of the once-fired brass sources I've seen listed here.
    That is a pretty good price for new brass. I did some searching and I found a couple places that had once fired 10mm listed for under $100 per thousand, but they were out of stock with no listed date when they would be back in stock. It's been awhile since I've priced 10mm brass. I guess it doesn't pay to buy once fired in 10mm... at least right now anyway.

(Somerset County)

The ABC's of Reloading is a good reference book.

Not sure how far it might be from your house but French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville has a pretty good supply of stuff. Shyda's is just off the Lebanon exit of the Pa. Turnpike if you have easy access to that.

I loaded for 15 years before getting a tumbler, mostly because I got tired of cleaning case lube off. Case lube won't be an issue for you with handgun cartridges and carbide dies. Shiny ain't high on my priority list. I just got a set of dial calipers because my eyes are getting older and it's hard to read the vernier one.

Dale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast