Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Buying a pistol question

Im thinking about buying a pistol from my brother but had just some quick questions. It was a gift from his father but thats about all i know. I do know it wasnt stolen but I dont know if it was imported or just brought in, in someones back pocket or something. Is that something to worry about or not? Anything i gotta look for about that?

Its a russian pistol but thats all i can remeber atm. Its stamped 9mm. He has used 9mm luger and it was a jam-o-matic making me think its an oddball 9mm round. But thats another story for another time.

Oh and first post!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Buying a pistol question

I doubt you have anything to worry about with importation. 1968 is when firearms importation and manufacturing laws were made. If it was brought back before 1968 then it wouldn't be effected. If it were brought in after 1968, then either an importer did it or it was declared privately and lawfully imported. Odds are extremely against an unlawful importation. Besides, a street cop isn't going to check importation records of a gun. As far as they will go would be to see who it was last transferred to.

Stop fretting it..

If it is 9mm from Russia, its a good chance it is 9x18mm Makarov. Not 9mm Parabellum(Luger). If he fired 9mm Para in it, it may be F'd up to the 10th degree now. 9x18mm(aka, 9mm Mak) is different from 9x19mm Parabellum(Luger). Most 9mm Maks are blowback designed, where as most 9mm Para are delayed action via a locking breech. Bullets for 9mm Mak is .361" where as 9mm is .355". 9mm Para works at MUCH higher pressures too.

If you decide to buy, just go to your favorite FFL and do the proper transfer. But I'd have that gun inspected first for what is chambered for, what was fired in it, and what damages may exist.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Ok cool.

The gun only had a handful of rounds fired through it of 9mm luger and has been inspected since. He just never askd the caliber. Its in great condition. I think ill pick it up. Thanks

Can you post a picture of it?

(Indiana County)

Are we just assuming it is a Makarov?

Hell, without a picture he could be talking about a Tokarev from some Com-Bloc country or even a CZ52 rebarreled or not into 9mm.

For that matter since he only thinks it is Russian, it may not be, it could be some odd ball that fires the 9mm Ultra.

To the OP, a picture would be the best way for anyone to offer advice as there are way too many weapons that you could be explaining. Maybe even giving the overall length and height would help as well as what color/type of grips and finish the metal has.

Or, take it to a smith.

(Franklin County)

ill get a pic as soon as i can.