Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Wondering if i had missed something?

I see some of the members here have been applying for non resident permits from others states. Besides it being a Just cause i can thing, am i missing something in this? is there more of a reason, not that there should be, if you can do it then by god do it. but i am wondering if there is a more detailed reason that may justify, (that may be the wrong word of choice), more of us doing it?

Default Re: Wondering if i had missed something?

Most of us do it because of reciprocity. Mostly because we have no training or live fire requirement, some states do not recognize our LTCF. Of our adjacent states, only West Virginia recognizes an LTCF. The common non-resident licenses (VA, FL, UT, AZ) are recognized in Delaware, Ohio and a few others. Of course MD, NJ, and NY are no-go in any case.

Along with the above post, it also covers you should an overzealous sheriff decide your parking tickets are evidence of poor character and revokes or declines renewal of your LTCF.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Most of us do it because of reciprocity. Mostly because we have no training or live fire requirement, some states do not recognize our LTCF. Of our adjacent states, only West Virginia recognizes an LTCF. The common non-resident licenses (VA, FL, UT, AZ) are recognized in Delaware, Ohio and a few others. Of course MD, NJ, and NY are no-go in any case.
    so excluding NY and NJ it is a sense is loop holing the adjacent states to PA. they wont recognize ours but will so and so's and there for i am safe if i have it and have to travel there?

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Along with the above post, it also covers you should an overzealous sheriff decide your parking tickets are evidence of poor character and revokes or declines renewal of your LTCF.
    LOL, interesting option there.

OK not that i intend to go to many other states at least not right now, and NY being the closest to me as it is. should there not be a list or a sticky of what states to do such with in this section, requirements, etc as a data base for others who may wish to use this option?
    Last edited by Shadow Heart; February 9th, 2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: consolidating posts

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    so excluding NY and NJ it is a sense is loop holing the adjacent states to PA. they wont recognize ours but will so and so's and there for i am safe if i have it and have to travel there?
    Reciprocity agreements between States are not loopholes.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    Reciprocity agreements between States are not loopholes.
    Sorry for using such an offensive term. overall i am not against it in anyway, but i am just calling it as i see it, and i am sure others (government officials) will see it in layman terms when it comes up. It seems to me a possibly for more trouble in the long run.

My local Sheriff decides to be a douche and deny my renewal for what ever BS reason he pulled out the hat that morning, but i have a non res permit from a reciprocal state thus allowing me to continue to carry concealed in PA. (not talking OC here)

Anyone in this situation caught CC'ing at this point is in for some crap, and once it is found out i am sure they will attempt to address a change to prevent this in the future. using that person as a golden goose to push for further restrictions on state and federal levels. because i know the sheriff is not gonna go, "oh hey i revoked his permit, but he got one from another state, lets drop the charges." he is gonna rake you through the coals on this one.

Just my opinion in it right or wrong.

(Chester County)

LOL, interesting option there.

OK not that i intend to go to many other states at least not right now, and NY being the closest to me as it is. should there not be a list or a sticky of what states to do such with in this section, requirements, etc as a data base for others who may wish to use this option?
    Because it bears repeating- reciprocity is not a loop hole. Reciprocity is an agreement between states to honor each other's LTCF's, CCW's or what ever they're called in their respective states. (Just like your PA driver's license is good in other states)

As far as a list of reciprocity- http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html ,

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/packngo/index.php

*disclaimer* IANAL, and I can't guarantee the accuracy of the above links.

(Lehigh County)

Sorry for using such an offensive term. overall i am not against it in anyway, but i am just calling it as i see it, and i am sure others (government officials) will see it in layman terms when it comes up. It seems to me a possibly for more trouble in the long run.

My local Sheriff decides to be a douche and deny my renewal for what ever BS reason he pulled out the hat that morning, but i have a non res permit from a reciprocal state thus allowing me to continue to carry concealed in PA. (not talking OC here)

Anyone in this situation caught CC'ing at this point is in for some crap, and once it is found out i am sure they will attempt to address a change to prevent this in the future. using that person as a golden goose to push for further restrictions on state and federal levels. because i know the sheriff is not gonna go, "oh hey i revoked his permit, but he got one from another state, lets drop the charges." he is gonna rake you through the coals on this one.

The law is 100% on our side, and there are dozens of news reports, criminal cases, and official testimonies to show it.

If Sheriffs and the PPD don't want people side-stepping them they should stop issuing absurd denials and revocations, given that the character clause is completely arbitrary and capricious as is. It's as simple as that.

(Lycoming County)

Seriously? Where have you been? "Attempt to address a change"? They are and it is a hot topic, and has been for sometime. Some Representatives, mostly Philadelphia's, have been screaming about this and trying to overturn the reciprocity agreements. They have proposed that a PA Citizen can not carry on a Non-Resident License/Permit.

It may be your opinion, but your opinion is formed on your experiences in BRADFORD County. In Philly, they deny Citizens for, as stated above, for parking tickets. Also, arrests that never get convictions. The list goes on and on. Something you in BRADFORD County, and me in LYCOMING County, never have to worry about. I moved here from Philadelphia 20 years ago. Trust me, your Due Process and their Due Process is MUCH different.

Be safe (and, now, a Good 'Ol Boy).

Scott

After Jan 1 next year I'll be legal to carry in every state that touches IL on my PA license. I got it because I live on the IN border and spend a deal of time over there. In fact I've pretty much taken all my business to Hoosier land because my state sucks balls and all it does is raise my taxes and deny my rights. I'm sending FL next week because if by some stroke of a miracle we do pass our carry law one of the things we put in there is that we'll be able to carry for 1 year from the time it's signed into law on an out of state license that has similar training to what ours is going to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast