Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Newbie shooter with questions

I've been reading this forum for some time now and I've been learning a lot. I have decided that I want go ahead purchase a rifle to familiarize myself with the joys of shooting. I would like to know whereyou guys recommend I purchase my first rifle. I don't have a carry license yet but I will be applying for one very soon. I also noticed the gun show is coming this weekend would it be a good idea for me to check that out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Newbie shooter with questions

I'm sure some other people from the area can help you out with shops in your area, but a few things:

1. Have you ever shot a rifle before? If not, be sure you get some familiarity with safety and operation beforehand. If you can, go shooting with a friend or family member first before buying so you can lay the foundation before you start building the house.

2. Being new to the spectrum, I would not recommend a gun show as a place to buy your first gun. More often than not, the prices are marked up more than normal, and people assume they are getting a deal when they aren't. It is possible to find deals at shows, but you need to know what you're looking for, and how much it's worth. If you have a friend or family member that's pretty knowledgeable, take them along with you. Or, just be sure you do all of your homework first.

Otherwise, I would not recommend a gunshow as your first buy.

3. If you have never shot a gun before, or have but very little, I would recommend starting with a .22 caliber. It's a very good caliber to start out on, and will help you get familiar with everything, while still having fun plinking. Find yourself a good bolt action .22, and it should be a good start for you.

Also, just a little plug - remember to always transport your rifle unloaded, with ammo in a separate container as per law.
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; February 8th, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
    III%

(Philadelphia County)

I have shot a few rounds From a .22 at some bottles in a friends yard but never at a range or for hunting. I was looking at a cheap 22lr by marlin. Would something like that be good for a newbie?

I also notced there are not many firearms dealer here in Philly. We have colissimos(sp) but that's all I see. Is there a gun shop close to philly thatll be helpful to someone like me?

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tolbitz View Post
    I have shot a few rounds From a .22 at some bottles in a friends yard but never at a range or for hunting. I was looking at a cheap 22lr by marlin. Would something like that be good for a newbie?

I also notced there are not many firearms dealer here in Philly. We have colissimos(sp) but that's all I see. Is there a gun shop close to philly thatll be helpful to someone like me?
    Might want to look at the Henry 22 lever action. Quality at a lower price then the Marlin.

(Bucks County)

I would go to tanners in Warrington. If you are in North East Philly they are not that far and defiantely worth the trip.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Butler County)

Knowing what I know now I would make my first .22 a Ruger 10/22.

Great rifles that can be had for $200-$225.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Warren County)

Regardless of how badly the shooting bug bites you, or how many firearms you end up with in the years to come, a .22 rifle is always fun, always useful, and a purchase you won't regret. Buy quality not price and you will leave it to your kids someday.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Knowing what I know now I would make my first .22 a Ruger 10/22.

Great rifles that can be had for $200-$225.

This right here.

The marlins are a bit cheaper but these rifles are super reliable, been around for years, and there's a ton of accessories for them.

I've known many people that owned the marlins and stepped up to the 10/22 later on. Might as well save yourself the hassle and get the best gun right up front. Especially since they're not that expensive.

(Philadelphia County)

Wow it seems like a lot of you guys really like the ruger 10/22. I will definitely do some research on it.

Are there any shops closer to the airport (not the northeast one).

A good quality .22 rifle is always worthwhile, and it's a great starter firearm.

First, find a family member or friend who knows firearms, and get them to help you along. Lacking that, join a club at a local gun range to find people who can help you out. Further, taking NRA or safety courses at gun ranges or gun shops is nearly always a Good Thing, no matter what your experience level is.

Now, about specific .22's. The Marlin model 60 is a rifle loved by many. So is the Ruger 10/22. I'd say if you just want a rifle to shoot 'as is,' get the Marlin. If you want a rifle that you can modify or upgrade later, get the Ruger. But you can't go wrong with either of the two. They are just plain good rifles that are well known by everyone.

Enjoy, and be safe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast