Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Want to buy a decent 4x (or similar) holo for my AR before I commit to an ACOG. Help?

So basically the title says it all. I run EoTechs on my AR's but have been thinking about some low power magnfication (not variable, 4x or similar) recently. Before I drop big bucks on an ACOG I'd like to spend around $200 on a clone to see if I'd like/use the power or if I should stick to EoTech. Obviously, I realize the quality won't be near an AGOG, but if I get the general idea its money well spent. I like optics with integrated mounts if possible, I fuck up mounting scopes like its my job! If anyone has a decent sight that fits the bill they can reccomend it would be much appeciated. Thanks!
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

Default Re: Want to buy a decent 4x (or similar) holo for my AR before I commit to an ACOG. H

you could also check out what the open guys run, usually something in a fixed 4x with a side mounted red dot. that way you can have the best of both worlds! Not a cheap set up though.

Leopold makes some decent fixed or lox magnification sites, usually marketed for shotgunners or for the AR platform. Check em out, and let me know what you find! I just sold my eotech and aimpoint to do the same thing.

Steve

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Want to buy a decent 4x (or similar) holo for my AR before I commit to an ACOG. H

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    you could also check out what the open guys run, usually something in a fixed 4x with a side mounted red dot. that way you can have the best of both worlds! Not a cheap set up though.

Leopold makes some decent fixed or lox magnification sites, usually marketed for shotgunners or for the AR platform. Check em out, and let me know what you find! I just sold my eotech and aimpoint to do the same thing.

Steve
    I have seen that set up with the dot mounted on the scope, its pretty neat, I think Burris makes one. I'm more looking for a fixed 4x ACOG clone type deal but with enough quality that I won't break it or throw it within the first five minutes. I just got the MidwayUsa master catalogue and they have a few by Barska, NCStar, etc that are pretty inexpensive. Before I spend a grand on a fixed 4x ACOG it would be sweet to make sure I like the setup, I just need someone to tell me which "faux-COG" is the most durable so I don't buy shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    I have seen that set up with the dot mounted on the scope, its pretty neat, I think Burris makes one. I'm more looking for a fixed 4x ACOG clone type deal but with enough quality that I won't break it or throw it within the first five minutes. I just got the MidwayUsa master catalogue and they have a few by Barska, NCStar, etc that are pretty inexpensive. Before I spend a grand on a fixed 4x ACOG it would be sweet to make sure I like the setup, I just need someone to tell me which "faux-COG" is the most durable so I don't buy shit!
    I have not played w/Barska but I do not hear or when checking them out surmise they are worth any thought and NCStar is just a waste.

(Centre County)

Why waste money testing a theory that's already proven to work (4x optics on an AR).

Put the $200 towards the ACOG.

Don't give those trash chinese companies one thin red cent of your money for their knock-off shit.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    Why waste money testing a theory that's already proven to work (4x optics on an AR).

Don't give those trash chinese companies one thin red cent of your money for their knock-off shit.
    Agreed.

I went the route you are intending to go in the name of frugality and finally ended up with a TA31F/G and a bunch of 'cheapos' that won't hold a zero on my vacuum cleaner, let alone a rifle. It took awhile for me to save the scratch for the ACOG, but it was WELL worth it. (I also run a mini-dot on a 45degree mount - GREAT setup)

The day I got it, I attended a 3-gun match and did not have time to BZ0 it beforehand. I literally got up to the first COF, fired a round, adjusted and had it dialed in for the next shot. I fired 11 rounds on a 9-round barricade stage in under 25 seconds w two prone positions @ 100m while adjusting the ACOG 'on the fly'. I regularly swap it between rifles and am able to dial it in within 3 rounds.

The 'knock-offs' are poorly made, unreliable and just a general headache. You'll spend a lot of time wondering if it's you, the rifle or the optic... At least with a solid rifle and the ACOG you'll know it's you (lol)

Hard to beat pure quality imho.

Hope this helps & good luck!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLightyear View Post
    Agreed.

I went the route you are intending to go in the name of frugality and finally ended up with a TA31F/G and a bunch of 'cheapos' that won't hold a zero on my vacuum cleaner, let alone a rifle. It took awhile for me to save the scratch for the ACOG, but it was WELL worth it. (I also run a mini-dot on a 45degree mount - GREAT setup)

The day I got it, I attended a 3-gun match and did not have time to BZ0 it beforehand. I literally got up to the first COF, fired a round, adjusted and had it dialed in for the next shot. I fired 11 rounds on a 9-round barricade stage in under 25 seconds w two prone positions @ 100m while adjusting the ACOG 'on the fly'. I regularly swap it between rifles and am able to dial it in within 3 rounds.

The 'knock-offs' are poorly made, unreliable and just a general headache. You'll spend a lot of time wondering if it's you, the rifle or the optic... At least with a solid rifle and the ACOG you'll know it's you (lol)

Hard to beat pure quality imho.

Hope this helps & good luck!

Points well taken. Fuck it, ACOG here I come!

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Points well taken. Fuck it, ACOG here I come!
    THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!!!!! Now go get it!

I love spending other peoples money.