Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Releasing Slide on empty chamber

Semis are pretty new to me, especially our S&W M&P 9mm full size pistol. In reading things I am confused and want to do the right thing to take proper care of our guns.
    Here is my question:

When the slide is locked back after finishing firing and you are no longer going to be shooting - and after releasing the magazine - do you:

Pull the slide back and let it slingshot forward on the empty chamber
    or pull slide back and "gently" let it cycle forward while holding?

Also, is it best to then pull the trigger to take any pressure off the trigger/spring. (for storage)

Thanks - Semis are more confusing to me than revolvers ! I like them both though!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Releasing Slide on empty chamber

It doesn't matter which you do when releasing the slide on an empty chamber - no harm is done either way.

As for the springs, it is the working of the spring back & forth that fatigues springs - not sustained pressure.. Storing it with a hammer or striker cocked will not effect spring life.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I've often read that letting the slide slingshot onto an empty chamber is bad for 1911s. Some say it's hard on the extractor, will screw up the trigger job, cause premature wear, etc. Don't know if it's true or not, but personally I don't do it. Never heard anyone say the same was true of any other firearm.

(Bradford County)

i have done both, generally letting it sling shot, I own a "Safe action" Glock, they are tough as tanks. dropping the firing pin to release the spring pressure i feel is doing no harm, ( if no round is in the chamber i drop the pin), i may be wrong, but i also do a lot of dry fire practice with it, 3 years and it is still running like a champ. some guns may or may not be able to handle it, but thus far, (at least my Glock), has had "0" effect to it.

I will note though there is a few things i have read about the face of the slide where the firing pin hits on the glock cracking. inspection is the key. but from what i have read atleast is they are from the earlier models, Gen 1 or 2's, mins was a Gen 3.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    Semis are pretty new to me, especially our S&W M&P 9mm full size pistol. In reading things I am confused and want to do the right thing to take proper care of our guns.
    Here is my question:

When the slide is locked back after finishing firing and you are no longer going to be shooting - and after releasing the magazine - do you:

Pull the slide back and let it slingshot forward on the empty chamber
    or pull slide back and "gently" let it cycle forward while holding?

Also, is it best to then pull the trigger to take any pressure off the trigger/spring. (for storage)

Thanks - Semis are more confusing to me than revolvers ! I like them both though!
    Read the book that came with your gun....The only pistol that I know of that doesn't like it is the 1911.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Read the book that came with your gun....The only pistol that I know of that doesn't like it is the 1911.
    Slamming the slide on a 1911 can damage the barrel lugs/slide grooves and and can effect the lockup timing.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Slamming the slide on a 1911 can damage the barrel lugs/slide grooves and and can effect the lockup timing.
    After 100 years of production, wouldn't they have resolved this?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

No,,, they have not resolved this. It's in the basic design of the weapon. As Pocket stated, it's not good to slam the slide shut as it will damage the barrel lug and grooves. Not a good thing to do.

While firing, it has a bullet to strip off the mag, buffering the slam.
    Last edited by thundrr1; February 6th, 2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    That is just more urban myth.. No one has proven that and attributed it to closing on an empty chamber.

It has no more effect on the lugs and grooves than normal operating with cartridges.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I have read the Safety and Instruction Manual and didn't find the answer and that is why I have posted the question here.

Re Unloading: The instructions go as far as locking the slide back, visually inspecting the chamber (seemingly forgetting about the locked back slide) and then continues onto unloading the ammo out the the magazine !? It appears to have missed the step about what to do after locking back the slide after inspecting it.

What little i know, i do know you need to release the slide forward but fast (which is for loading) or slow...it doesn't say anything at all.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast