Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Question LTCF application references?

Hello, long time viewer, first time poster here. I am applying for my LTCF this week, I have a good friend in Mercer that I am listing as my first reference and I have a second good friend to vouch for me that I want to list as the second reference, the only problem is that this person does not live in the USA. Is it alright to list him as a reference? He's a gun lover from England, hoping to move to America one day.

Problem is, between the first guy and the second guy, I have no other gun friendly references that I can list, so I'm hoping it's ok to list friends who don't live in the US. I asked most of my other friends and none of them want their name involved in anything remotely related to guns, they're good people, but they are not gun owners and seem to be afraid of the idea of giving their personal info to the police to be a reference for a LTCF. I also feel it would be unprofessional to ask anyone from work, since I work in an office environment and the last thing I want is people freaking out over the fact another worker asked them to back them up on carrying a gun. I can't carry to work no matter what, but you know how it is, it's so common for people to have a fearful mindset over guns in work environments and the mere mention of the word "gun" can potentially get someone fired anymore in an office environment.

Sorry for ranting a bit, I'm just concerned about getting my references and it's been frustrating getting turned down by so many of my friends because they're a bit too anti-gun (bless em anyway, they're good folk). Thank you in advance for any help that y'all may give me on this issue!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: LTCF application references?

Since my post is miss information, I've taken ir down. I'm sorry.
    Last edited by sksman761; February 6th, 2011 at 08:36 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sksman761 View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with the county you live in and the requirements, as each Sheriff can institute their own reference policies. I would say that if you know they are not going to contact the reference in your county, than use the reference from England and if they accept it, it is their problem. In some counties, they require you to have references from the county that you reside in. Other policies may require that the references may not be related to each other. In my case, my references were a married couple who were known gun dealers. If the England references doesn't fly, ask your other buddy if he has any friends, relatives that know you, who will give you the reference. But, than again, it all boils down to what the Sheriff in whatever county wants to institute. There was one county, I don't remember which one, issued personal reference cards that had to be filled out by thus reference, and another reference card had to be brought to your local Police Dept., and all of this had to be returned with the application.

It would be nice if they got rid of things like personal references, current employer, and sending out reference cards to local PDs from this License to Carry in the first place.
    \

Legally, the ONLY restriction on references is that they can't be related to the applicant. Other than that, you can use whomever you want.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    \

Legally, the ONLY restriction on references is that they can't be related to the applicant. Other than that, you can use whomever you want.

Than how come in places like Carbon County, and a few other counties instituted this and it says so right here: http://carboncountysheriff.com/pages.../firearms.html

Since my post is miss information, I've taken ir down. I'm sorry.
    Last edited by sksman761; February 6th, 2011 at 08:36 PM.

(Delaware County)

I'm unfamiliar with the county you live in and the requirements, as each Sheriff can institute their own reference policies. I would say that if you know they are not going to contact the reference in your county, than use the reference from England and if they accept it, it is their problem. In some counties, they require you to have references from the county that you reside in. Other policies may require that the references may not be related to each other. In my case, my references were a married couple who were known gun dealers. If the England references doesn't fly, ask your other buddy if he has any friends, relatives that know you, who will give you the reference. But, than again, it all boils down to what the Sheriff in whatever county wants to institute. There was one county, I don't remember which one, issued personal reference cards that had to be filled out by thus reference, and another reference card had to be brought to your local Police Dept., and all of this had to be returned with the application.

It would be nice if they got rid of things like personal references, current employer, and sending out reference cards to local PDs from this License to Carry in the first place.
    I know you're trying to help, but a majority of your post is misinformation

Every county must abide by the UFA. Do they? No, but we must hold them accountable. Each sheriff is NOT allowed to make up their own LTCF policies

(Delaware County)

Than how come in places like Carbon County, and a few other counties instituted this and it says so right here: http://carboncountysheriff.com/pages.../firearms.html
    Again, he is not allowed to require that. Looks like there is some work to do in order to bring him into compliance.

(Bradford County)

Not 100% on if they need to be in county of residence or not, my county required it though. references for Bradford County, is 2 county residences, I am "ASS'uming" it is because it is more likely to actually know the persona character. out of town or out of country the sheriff may not accept, (under is own views). because E-Friends really can not vouch for someone else as an E-Friend. but it may or may not be legal or not, but just letting you know how this county is. Delco was the same way, at least way back it was

(Montgomery County)

I'm just wondering how many members here actually had their references called. I know they never called mine.
    Last edited by JasonK007; February 6th, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Bradford County)

they actually called both of mine. one a a local gun store owner, and the other my neighbor.
    Last edited by Shadow Heart; February 6th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.

Here is how the reference thing is on the actual LTCF application. What exactly constitutes a "family member" is not defined:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast