Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 248 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Project Gun-walker and the ATF

The saga continues. This Government without rule of law!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...nt;cbsCarousel

Agent: I was ordered to let U.S. guns into Mexico
    A federal agent on the front lines of the drug war says he was ordered to sit by and watch guns get into the hands of Mexican criminals
    (CBS News)

WASHINGTON - Federal agent John Dodson says what he was asked to do was beyond belief.

He was intentionally letting guns go to Mexico?

"Yes ma'am," Dodson told CBS News. "The agency was."

An Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms senior agent assigned to the Phoenix office in 2010, Dodson's job is to stop gun trafficking across the border. Instead, he says he was ordered to sit by and watch it happen.

Investigators call the tactic letting guns "walk." In this case, walking into the hands of criminals who would use them in Mexico and the United States.

Sharyl Attkisson's original "Gunrunner" report

Dodson's bosses say that never happened. Now, he's risking his job to go public.

"I'm here, boots on the ground in Phoenix, telling you we've been doing it every day since I've been here," he said. "Here I am. Tell me I didn't do the things that I did. Tell me you didn't order me to do the things I did. Tell me it didn't happen. Now you have a name on it. You have a face to put with it. Here I am. Someone now, tell me it didn't happen."

Dodson and other sources say the gun walking strategy was approved all the way up to the Justice Department. The idea was to see where the guns ended up, build a big case and break up a cartel. And it was all kept secret from Mexico.

ATF named the case "Fast and Furious."

Surveillance video obtained by CBS News shows suspected drug cartel suppliers carrying boxes of weapons to their cars at a Phoenix gun shop. The long boxes shown in the videdo being loaded in were AK-47-type assault rifles.

So it turns out ATF not only allowed it - they videotaped it.

Documents show the inevitable result: The guns that ATF let go began showing up at crime scenes in Mexico. And as ATF stood by watching thousands of weapons hit the streets... the Fast and Furious group supervisor noted the escalating Mexican violence.

One e-mail noted, "958 killed in March 2010 ... most violent month since 2005." The same e-mail notes: "Our subjects purchased 359 firearms during March alone," including "numerous Barrett .50 caliber rifles."

Dodson feels that ATF was partly to blame for the escalating violence in Mexico and on the border. "I even asked them if they could see the correlation between the two," he said. "The more our guys buy, the more violence we're having down there."

Senior agents including Dodson told CBS News they confronted their supervisors over and over.

Their answer, according to Dodson, was, "If you're going to make an omelette, you've got to break some eggs."

There was so much opposition to the gun walking, that an ATF supervisor issued an e-mail noting a "schism" among the agents. "Whether you care or not people of rank and authority at HQ are paying close attention to this case...we are doing what they envisioned.... If you don't think this is fun you're in the wrong line of work... Maybe the Maricopa County jail is hiring detention officers and you can get $30,000 ... to serve lunch to inmates..."

"We just knew it wasn't going to end well. There's just no way it could," Dodson said.

On Dec. 14, 2010, Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry was gunned down. Dodson got the bad news from a colleague.

According to Dodson, "They said, 'Did you hear about the border patrol agent?' And I said, 'Yeah.' And they said 'Well it was one of the Fast and Furious guns.' There's not really much you can say after that."

Two assault rifles ATF had let go nearly a year before were found at Terry's murder.

Dodson said, "I felt guilty. I mean it's crushing. I don't know how to explain it."

Sen. Grassley began investigating after his office spoke to Dodson and a dozen other ATF sources -- all telling the same story.

Read Sen. Grassley's letter to the attorney general

The response was "practically zilch," Grassley said. "I think it's a case of stonewalling."

Dodson said he hopes that speaking out helps Terry's family. They haven't been told much of anything about his murder - or where the bullet came from.

"First of all, I'd tell them that I'm sorry. Second of all, I'd tell them I've done everything that I can for them to get the truth," Dodson said. "After this, I don't know what else I can do. But I hope they get it."

Dodson said no big fish in the drug cartels were arrested in the case. However, he said thousands of Fast and Furious weapons are still out there and will be claiming victims on both sides of the border for years to come.

© 2011 CBS Interactive Inc.. All Rights Reserved.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Twoguns, wasn`t agent Zapata killed in mexico by drug gang down there while they we`re on thier way back to the states? I could have sworn that the vest the police had on said POLICIA. They arrested a couple of people for the killing and they had them parade around in thier construction reflective vest so that they would stand out. If I`m wrong, So Sorry as Charlie Chan would say.
    We now know that Agent Zapata was also killed with a gun that came through these unlawful channels, aided and abetted by the thug agency that is the ATF.

Can you imagine buying 395 firearms in one month......and not being investigated?

Project Gunwalker/ Fast and Furious is responsible for the murder of countless Mexicans caught in the cross-fire of the American War on Drugs and the supplying of weapons to the very cartels the fedgov claims to be combating. And the current occupant of the White House has the audacity to go on national television and talk this game of preventing the spread of gun violence. What a lying bastard!

DOJ and ATF continue to stonewall any inquiry from the Senate oversight committee.

(Carbon County)

Senator Grassley's latest letter to Holder & Melson. 5 Pages and 10 Attachments of damning documents. These guys are gonna need a real good lawyer.

PDF file of letter and supporting documents. Transcript:

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogsp...letter-to.html

video http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...n&tag=watchnow
    Last edited by middlefinger; March 4th, 2011 at 01:59 PM.

(Montgomery County)

It appears CBS is the only major news outlet covering this thing.

(Allegheny County)

As has been pointed out; glad CBS is actually covering the story. Katie Couric-skank: I now forgive you (once) for trashing the prom-haired windbag from Alaska.

As has been alluded to; unless Reagan drags his zombied ass from the grave to beat-slap the BATF back down, we're screwed.

Meanwhile, there's more to blame...

Arizonian dealers:

You had your payday selling the 6-packs-of-WASRs-at-a-time to the straw gun-Judas. And of course; you certainly had no idea it was possibly happening in such an otherwised 'effed up economy;

I hope in the backlash of responsibility-dodging we see coming from the ATF - that they feed your children to stray mongrel dogs after they bankrupt you, your familiy, everyone around you. Thanks for selling out your country and the gun-buying public all accross the USA to make a buck.

Arizonian straw-purchasers:

A big thank you from the country you betrayed by selling guns to Jose and Pepe and a big thank-you from all your gun-owning brethren out here that you did the Judas on;
    I hope in the backlash of responsibility-dodging we will see coming from the ATF - that you find yourself biting pillows for years while Marco and Juan take turns anus-drilling you every night in prison. All while your mother, wife, daughter, sister, father - have to go back to sucking for their drug fix you were getting for them from your buddy Jose.
    Last edited by nfafan; March 4th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.

(Wayne County)

Thanks CBS. Next Where is Congresswoman McCarthy of Long Island, where is sucky chucky Schumer and where is that GREAT Defender of illegal gun puraches MAYOR BLOOMBERG???????????????? The antis won`t speak up because the BATFE will do thier dirty work for them. Bunch of 2 faced cowards.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Thanks CBS. Next Where is Congresswoman McCarthy of Long Island, where is sucky chucky Schumer and where is that GREAT Defender of illegal gun puraches MAYOR BLOOMBERG???????????????? The antis won`t speak up because the BATFE will do thier dirty work for them. Bunch of 2 faced cowards.
    Excellent point!
    Your comment speaks directly to what this scheme by ATF was really all about; allow guns to flow across the border and then claim there is a problem with guns flowing across the border.
    This works to boost the already inflated numbers reported in the media. It draws greater scrutiny upon law abiding gun owners. It adds greater burdens upon the legally operating gun shops. It creates international tension. It violates the law. It brings to a fever pitch the already hysterical tone of the gun debate in America.

Brady, McCarthy, Schumer, Bloomberg et.al don't want anything less than a state monopoly on the use of force. It is the doctrine of serfs. They want honest citizens to be disarmed so that they might then rule with impunity.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by twoguns View Post
    Excellent point!
    Your comment speaks directly to what this scheme by ATF was really all about; allow guns to flow across the border and then claim there is a problem with guns flowing across the border.
    This works to boost the already inflated numbers reported in the media. It draws greater scrutiny upon law abiding gun owners. It adds greater burdens upon the legally operating gun shops. It creates international tension. It violates the law. It brings to a fever pitch the already hysterical tone of the gun debate in America.

Brady, McCarthy, Schumer, Bloomberg et.al don't want anything less than a state monopoly on the use of force. It is the doctrine of serfs. They want honest citizens to be disarmed so that they might then rule with impunity.
    Rep INCCOMINNNG~!
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Indiana County)

ATF internal memo response to CBS investigative report.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_16...-10391695.html

Public Information Officers:

Please make every effort for the next two weeks to maximize coverage of ATF operations/enforcement actions/arrests at the local and regional level. Given the negative coverage by CBS Evening News last week and upcoming events this week, the bureau should look for every opportunity to push coverage of good stories. Fortunately, the CBS story has not sparked any follow up coverage by mainstream media and seems to have fizzled.

It was shoddy reporting , as CBS failed to air on-the-record interviews by former ATF officials and HQ statements for attribution that expressed opposing views and explained the law and difficulties of firearm trafficking investigations. The CBS producer for the story made only a feigned effort at the 11th hour to reach ATF HQ for comment.

This week (To 3/1/2011), Attorney General Holder testifies on the Hill and likely will get questions about the allegations in the story. Also (The 3/3/2011), Mexico President Calderon will visit the White House and likely will testify on the Hill. He will probably draw attention to the lack of political support for demand letter 3 and Project Gunrunner.

ATF needs to proactively push positive stories this week, in an effort to preempt some negative reporting, or at minimum, lessen the coverage of such stories in the news cycle by replacing them with good stories about ATF. The more time we spend highlighting the great work of the agents through press releases and various media outreaches in the coming days and weeks, the better off we will be.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter. If you have any significant operations that should get national media coverage, please reach out to the Public Affairs Division for support, coordination and clearance.

Thank you,

Scot

Scot L. Thomasson

Chief ATF Public Affairs Division

Washington, DC

Desk 202-648-XXXX

Cell 206-XXX-XXXX
    NRA life member/ILA/PVA/Whittington Center sponsor
    GOA member/Second Amendment Foundation member
    NAHC life member/KECA founding committee member

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    ATF internal memo response to CBS investigative report.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_16...-10391695.html

Public Information Officers:

Please make every effort for the next two weeks to maximize coverage of ATF operations/enforcement actions/arrests at the local and regional level. Given the negative coverage by CBS Evening News last week and upcoming events this week, the bureau should look for every opportunity to push coverage of good stories. Fortunately, the CBS story has not sparked any follow up coverage by mainstream media and seems to have fizzled.

It was shoddy reporting , as CBS failed to air on-the-record interviews by former ATF officials and HQ statements for attribution that expressed opposing views and explained the law and difficulties of firearm trafficking investigations. The CBS producer for the story made only a feigned effort at the 11th hour to reach ATF HQ for comment.

This week (To 3/1/2011), Attorney General Holder testifies on the Hill and likely will get questions about the allegations in the story. Also (The 3/3/2011), Mexico President Calderon will visit the White House and likely will testify on the Hill. He will probably draw attention to the lack of political support for demand letter 3 and Project Gunrunner.

ATF needs to proactively push positive stories this week, in an effort to preempt some negative reporting, or at minimum, lessen the coverage of such stories in the news cycle by replacing them with good stories about ATF. The more time we spend highlighting the great work of the agents through press releases and various media outreaches in the coming days and weeks, the better off we will be.

Thanks for your cooperation in this matter. If you have any significant operations that should get national media coverage, please reach out to the Public Affairs Division for support, coordination and clearance.

Thank you,

Scot

Scot L. Thomasson

Chief ATF Public Affairs Division

Washington, DC

Desk 202-648-XXXX

Cell 206-XXX-XXXX
    Yeah, wow! It's all about the image thing. Not rule of law.

So this sycophant badge licker claims that CBS made an "a feigned 11th hour attempt to reach ATF HQ for comment". Notice he did not address the issue now that he has an opportunity to do so. Subterfuge and counter-accusations is the classic resort of a liar.

And to call out of retirement the likes of "Waco Jim" Cavanaugh, a known liar, to speak about ATF success stories is beyond the pale. This pathetic pack of goons and liars needs to go.

Page 4 of 248 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast