Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Near close dog attack

I wanted to get some opinions on what transpired to me this morning. I was outside alone ready to go into the garage and i turned around and the neighbors dog comes running at me on my property. No leash and he does not leash the dog, just lets it out to run around. YES this has happened before.
    Well before it growled at me and ran off. Today was a different story and i stood face to face with it. I did not agitate the dog or yell at it. It started to snap at me and thought it would charge me. I did not have any other means of keeping the dog at bay(I.e stick or non less lethal means). It happened so fast. I drew my LCP and pointed with my finger off the trigger. Laser was on and i could see it on target. I have a LTCF. Fortunately, at this time the owner heard and called the dog in. It was close.
    Now , I am a animal lover and i wouldn't ever cause harm to animal. I do want to cause bad blood between us. I just want him to leash his dog. Its a Australian sheepdog and have had bad experiences with this breed. Our houses are so close together. About fifteen feet.
    I go speak to him. Response to me asking him to leash his dog. " Well i have been letting her out for five years". He did apologize but did not say he would leash his animal. I explained, if the dog were to physically attack me i would not hesitate to defend myself. Response " Well come inside and she will like you". I declined. I advised him of leash laws and my future response will be call the dog warden, defend myself. Like i said, i would be beside myself if forced to shoot the animal. I do not want to walk around and watch for this dog over my shoulder.

1. Was my drawing sufficient in relation to threat?

2. Should i utilize all non-lethal approaches? I.e carry pepper spray

3. Call the dog warden now and do not wait?

4. Would i open myself up to civil litigation or charged with discharging a firearm in city limits?

Please give your opinion. Thanks
    Last edited by Waverip11; February 4th, 2011 at 05:44 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Near close dog attack

"Shooting a dog" threads are almost as fun as "abortion" threads. Be prepared.

I don't know what to tell you in regards to most of your questions. Much of it depends on specifics and it's pointless for me to speculate, but concerning the "warden", yeah, if the dog is an "issue" I would contact someone about it. I seriously doubt it will change anything, but that would be my fist step.
    It will look better for you if approaching the proper authorities was your first step as opposed to putting the dog down as your "first" step.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

The guy asks you to make nice with his dog and get to know him and you run away. Doesn't sound like you are the animal lover that you claim to be. Maybe instead of drawing your LCP your should pull a frisbee out and throw it to the dog. I think that you could lighten up a tad...
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

In my humble opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Waverip11 View Post
    1. Was my drawing sufficient in relation to threat?
    Did you feel you were in immanent physical danger from the dog? If yes, then you were warranted to defend yourself.

2. Should i utilize all non-lethal approaches? I.e carry pepper spray
    Yes, if this is a recurring problem, a can of OC spray would be handy.

3. Call the dog warden now and do not wait?
    As you said you did not wish to create a feud with a neighbor, I would hold off, but advise him, possibly in writing, that the next time his dog is off his property without a leash, you will notify the proper authorities. Flowery language optional.

4. Would i open myself up to civil litigation or charged with discharging a firearm in city limits?
    This one I don't know offhand, you'd need to research local ordinances.

As much of a dog lover as I am, your neighbor is the type that gets under my skin badly. He is the one acting with no regard to his pet's safety, not you, and dont let others try to convince you otherwise.

(Philadelphia County)

i'm not a huge fan of dogs and can't stand when people let them run at others of leash. But I wouldn't shoot one unless there was no other choice. If it's foaming at the mouth, or obviously hell bent on taking a chunk out of me and it's a big dog, yeah, I'd shoot it. But if it's just barking/threatening me, doesn't appear rabid, or isn't a monster, I'd make myself REAL BIG and yell at it, if that fails and it comes closer, try to kick it in the head. If it's still coming at me or gets its teeth in me, then I'd shoot it.

And, yeah, I would have accepted his offer to try and get to know the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ddefazio View Post
    The guy asks you to make nice with his dog and get to know him and you run away. Doesn't sound like you are the animal lover that you claim to be. Maybe instead of drawing your LCP your should pull a frisbee out and throw it to the dog. I think that you could lighten up a tad...

I was not really in the mood to play nice, as i was minding my own business.
    I know the neighbor already and tolerate him. Older guy and i snow blow his driveway because he cannot. I go out of my way for people.

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    i'm not a huge fan of dogs and can't stand when people let them run at others of leash. But I wouldn't shoot one unless there was no other choice. If it's foaming at the mouth, or obviously hell bent on taking a chunk out of me and it's a big dog, yeah, I'd shoot it. But if it's just barking/threatening me, doesn't appear rabid, or isn't a monster, I'd make myself REAL BIG and yell at it, if that fails and it comes closer, try to kick it in the head. If it's still coming at me or gets its teeth in me, then I'd shoot it.

And, yeah, I would have accepted his offer to try and get to know the dog.
    The first time it happened, that is what i did and it worked. Not this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    In my humble opinion...

Did you feel you were in immanent physical danger from the dog? If yes, then you were warranted to defend yourself.

Yes, if this is a recurring problem, a can of OC spray would be handy.

As you said you did not wish to create a feud with a neighbor, I would hold off, but advise him, possibly in writing, that the next time his dog is off his property without a leash, you will notify the proper authorities. Flowery language optional.

This one I don't know offhand, you'd need to research local ordinances.

As much of a dog lover as I am, your neighbor is the type that gets under my skin badly. He is the one acting with no regard to his pet's safety, not you, and dont let others try to convince you otherwise.
    Thanks for the good advice and I will try handle this between neighbors. I have a feeling it will happen again. If so the dog warden will be contacted

If the neighbor is elderly and no too athletic, it might be an issue of him not being able to walk the dog on a leash. A diplomatic solution might be offering to install an over-head cable dog run if he buys the supplies. They're easy to set up, and it woul allow him to let the dog out without being out with him, but also keep the dog on the property.

Maybe down the line, i will try to get to know the dog. Not at this point. I also told the neighbor, It would be different if your dog was friendly. It is not

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast