Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Transporting Rifles with accessible Ammo with a LTCF?

i tried a search and i may not have used the proper search criteria?.

but i was wondering about the transportation in a vehicle with a rifle and ammo readily available, IE: a tactical soft case with the external mag pouches with loaded mags. or even a loaded mag in the rifle? (un-chambered), while in possession of a PA LTCF.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Transporting Rifles with accessible Ammo with a LTCF?

For long guns you cannot have any ammo in the chamber or in a fixed magazine. For guns that use detachable magazines, any loaded magazine must be in a separate container. Loose/boxed ammo can be stored anywhere, even ON the gun. However it cannot have ammo in the chamber, in a fixed mag, or with guns with detachable mag - no loaded mags in the same container.

You do not need the gun to be in a case, but any loaded magazines must then in a container.

No license is needed to have a long gun in your vehicle, except if are in a City of the First Class or there is a declared state of emergency. LTCF has no bearing on having loaded long guns in a vehicle.

With you wanting to use a case with external pouches - that would be ok. The external pouches are considered a separate container for the loaded magazines.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 3rd, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    For long guns you cannot have any ammo in the chamber or in a fixed magazine. For guns that use detachable magazines, any loaded magazine must be in a separate container. Loose/boxed ammo can be stored anywhere, even ON the gun. However it cannot have ammo in the chamber, in a fixed mag, or with guns with detachable mag - no loaded mags in the same container.

You do not need the gun to be in a case, but any loaded magazines must then in a container.

No license is needed to have a long gun in your vehicle, except if are in a City of the First Class or there is a declared state of emergency. LTCF has no bearing on having loaded long guns in a vehicle.

With you wanting to use a case with external pouches - that would be ok. The external pouches are considered a separate container for the loaded magazines.
    Thanks for that info, i was honestly not sure how it all fell into things while having a LTCF, and i am sure others were wondering as well. my other reason was as mentioned a tactical case with the external pouches.

(Bucks County)

Your license to carry firearms doesn't have anything to do with it, because a rifle is not considered a "firearm" in the UFA. Makes no sense, I know.

(Delaware County)

Interestingly, your LTCF does cover SBR's. I was actually thinking of building one just to simplify intrastate transport of a trunk gun. Since none of the surrounding states are particularly gun friendly, i'd be taking any guns out of my car before traveling interstate anyway, mitigating that problem.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Your license to carry firearms doesn't have anything to do with it, because a rifle is not considered a "firearm" in the UFA. Makes no sense, I know.
    err, your title 1 rifle is definitely considered a firearm in the UFA... just not a "firearm" for LTCF purposes.

remember, theres multiple definitions of firearms, depending on what section of the UFA and circumstance they are talking about.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    err, your title 1 rifle is definitely considered a firearm in the UFA... just not a "firearm" for LTCF purposes.

remember, theres multiple definitions of firearms, depending on what section of the UFA and circumstance they are talking about.
    You're right, its just not considered a firearm in this context. Its ridiculous that there are multiple definitions of "firearm" in something called the UNIFORM Firearms Act.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Interestingly, your LTCF does cover SBR's. I was actually thinking of building one just to simplify intrastate transport of a trunk gun. Since none of the surrounding states are particularly gun friendly, i'd be taking any guns out of my car before traveling interstate anyway, mitigating that problem.
    If you leave the state with a NFA weapon you need to contact the ATF and make sure it's ok with them IIRC. I have also heard that you need to contact the chief of police who has jurisdiction over where you will be residing and make sure he's ok with it, but that one sounds like bullshit. Someone who knows better will pop in.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Bradford County)

I was referring to an off the shelf type AR, nothing like a full-auto/burst rifle, Although my newly ordered Spikes Tactical Bio hazard lower is RDIAS cut, i am not willing to pay that money to use that option, unless they remove the federal ban on it.

overall i was not sure if it would be considered a concealed weapon or not and if my LTCF had any sway in it should i transport it (in state), with loaded mags in a tactical soft case with the external mag pouches or not. And not that i would transport it with a loaded mag in it normally, just figured i would add that in.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Heart View Post
    I was referring to an off the shelf type AR, nothing like a full-auto/burst rifle, Although my newly ordered Spikes Tactical Bio hazard lower is RDIAS cut, i am not willing to pay that money to use that option, unless they remove the federal ban on it.
    SBR is still NFA AFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast