Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Game Commission Requires Permit For Range Use

BOARD APPROVES STEP TO PROTECT GAME COMMISSION SHOOTING RANGES

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today gave final approval to a regulatory change to require State Game Land shooting range users to possess either a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or purchase a range permit. In doing so, the agency is taking a step toward accomplishing the twin goals of having unlicensed persons contribute toward the cost of maintaining the ranges, and better quantifying and controlling the use of the shooting ranges.

“Over the past few years, the Game Commission has made large investments into its 29 State Game Land shooting ranges across this Commonwealth,” said Carl G. Roe, Game Commission executive director. “These investments have taken the form of lead remediation, safety barrier reconstruction, shooting range redesign and other related projects. These investments came at a high cost, but kept many shooting ranges open and available to the public.

“Historically, hunter and furtaker license dollars have provided most, if not all, of the resources for keeping the agency’s shooting ranges open to the public. Additionally, the open use of State Game Lands for shooting activities by those not licensed has resulted in some situations where ranges and State Game Lands have been used for illicit activities.”

The new regulation requires all users of State Game Land shooting ranges to possess either a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Game Commission-issued range permit, which would cost $30 per year for residents and nonresidents. Exceptions to this permit requirement are those 16 years of age and younger properly accompanied by a licensed or permitted person 18 years of age or older, and each licensed hunter or range permit holder could have one guest.

For the first year, all permits will be effective from April 1, 2011, until June 30, 2012. After the first year, each permit issued will be valid from July 1 until June 30.

Permits will be able to be purchased through the Game Commission’s “The Outdoor Shop” on the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us). Following the purchase, which will require payment by credit or debit cards, a downloadable permit will be provided and permittee’s may print it on a home computer. The agency also will be able to sell the permits through its Harrisburg headquarters and six Region Offices. However, since the purchase will be processed through “The Outdoor Shop,” only credit cards will be able to be used for payment.

The regulation also prohibits all other target shooting from taking place on State Game Lands, except at designated ranges. The regulatory change will not result in any increased cost or change in privileges for licensed hunters and furtakers.

Bluetick note: Commissioner Delaney stated that the ranges in his area got rebuilt two years ago. He described them as excellent facilities. Now, he can not believe the damage done since them.

Commissioner Isabella stated that this regulation needs the widest dissemination possible. "lots of signage and awareness". He called for a big PR effort to get the word out.

end note//

Posting this in several forums.
    Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss?

(Berks County)

Default re: Game Commission Requires Permit For Range Use

I can't say it's a bad idea.

Would be nice if it were to include people with valid LTCF also.

(Luzerne County)

Default re: Game Commission Requires Permit For Range Use

"Commissioner Delaney stated that the ranges in his area got rebuilt two years ago. He described them as excellent facilities. Now, he can not believe the damage done since them."

And this new requirement will eliminate the damage how??? Because we all know that all the damage was done by people without a hunting license, right??? Duh!

So this means the guys in the green vehicles will be stopping at the ranges asking to see your hunting license or permit????? If they stopped in the first place, they might have prevented the damage!!! Double duh!!

"Commissioner Isabella stated that this regulation needs the widest dissemination possible. "lots of signage and awareness". He called for a big PR effort to get the word out."

Well.......instead of fixing and improving the ranges, all the money will be spent on signs!!!

Default Re: Gane Commission Requires Permit For Range Use

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    . . .
    And this new requirement will eliminate the damage how??? Because we all know that all the damage was done by people without a hunting license, right??? Duh!

So this means the guys in the green vehicles will be stopping at the ranges asking to see your hunting license or permit????? If they stopped in the first place, they might have prevented the damage!!! Double duh!!

. . .
    Something needs to be done, and this isn't a bad notion.

Every range within convenient distance from Philadelphia has been shut down, and I suspect that it's due to the massive damage caused by hordes of anonymous shooters, many of whom have no idea what the laws are and no desire to obey them.

Anonymity causes people to be the worst that they can be. Look at people ensconced in their cars, treating every other driver with all the courtesy that they'd extend to a computer-generated character in a video game. Anonymity dehumanizes people, turns normal people into assholes, and turns assholes into sociopaths.

If they could post a gatekeeper at every range, who looked at something with a name & face on it, that would actually have a measurable impact on what people do to the range.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Game Commission Requires Permit For Range Use

I have no issue with this, if it is enforces maybe it will help. Now if it only allowed for the range at Nockamixon to re-open it would be a bonus for a lot of people. They are provided by the Game Commission and funded, in part, by the sale of hunting licenses. Maybe hunters will actually get to use them and not have to wait for the baggy pants crowd to get done with the AK's and and sideways Hi-Points.
    Last edited by bnkrtstk; February 1st, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bnkrtstk View Post
    I have no issue with this, if it is enforces maybe it will help. Now if it only allowed for the range at Nockamixon to re-open it would be a bonus for a lot of people. They are provided by the Game Commission and funded, in part, by the sale of hunting licenses. Maybe hunters will actually get to use them and not have to wait for the baggy pants crowd to get done with the AK's and and sideways Hi-Points.
    I support this as well. And I also hope that they can get the Nockamixon range opened back up with the additional revenu. Although, it is my opinion that you will still get those baggy pants people, just not as many. I believe Nockamixon was shut down as a result of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU2ZSfLzK1k
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Chester County)

As an infrequent user of the sgl 43 range since I was a kid I support this. These are great ranges ruined by the unwashed masses. I would hope this would either limit the number of users or limit the destruction, who knows if it will. These ranges are underappreciated by the idiots that take them for granted. Bullet holes in every sign, evidence of rules violated like mid range targets, this wouldn't be tolerated at a club and it shouldn't be there. The more ranges the better, hopefully this will mean these are here to stay.

(Montgomery County)

Thumbs down Re: Gane Commission Requires Permit For Range Use

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If they could post a gatekeeper at every range, who looked at something with a name & face on it, that would actually have a measurable impact on what people do to the range.
    That's just great. More New Jersey-type regulatory layers. More public employee flunkies on the public doll.

No thanks.

great plan. facilities don't fix themselves. state budgets are declining. you can't bitch about taxes and the nanny state AND bitch about the govt not doing everything for free and not keeping the unwashed masses from screwing sh** up.

people are far more responsible when they feel like they paid for something than they are when they think something is free. this is a good first step. hopefully it works. add in some steep penalties for violators and you may get somewhere.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK007 View Post
    I support this as well. And I also hope that they can get the Nockamixon range opened back up with the additional revenu. Although, it is my opinion that you will still get those baggy pants people, just not as many. I believe Nockamixon was shut down as a result of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU2ZSfLzK1k
    I only got halfway through the video.... I can't believe the guy chambered a round and shot over his buddies head with him down range.... WTF is wrong with people??????

FF to 3:43 to see what I am talking about.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast