Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default moving to carbon county from nyc

im thinking of moving to carbon county from nyc. i have a nyc premises/ hunting permit and am an active hunter. so now what are my options as far as permits?

i didnt see a pa. premises permit or target hunting as an option listed but i did see a hunting handgun permit. if i own 4 handguns does that permit allow it?

what are the chances of getting a ccw in carbon county?

how long of a residency is needed for the hunting handgun permit?

now the question is once i apply in pa for residency my nyc permit becomes void and since i may not qualify time wise in pa i may be permit less while waiting .

any thoughts on coordinating this?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: moving to carbon county from nyc

Quote Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
    im thinking of moving to carbon county from nyc. i have a nyc premises/ hunting permit and am an active hunter. so now what are my options as far as permits?
    I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised here as you read on...

i didnt see a pa. premises permit or target hunting as an option listed but i did see a hunting handgun permit. if i own 4 handguns does that permit allow it?
    PA has two types of permits, a "Sportsmans Permit" for carrying only while hunting and a general LTCF (License To Carry Firearms) which allows you to conceal carry (almost) anywhere anytime. Neither of which are tied to any specific firearms, hell if you really wanted you could carry 10 firearms.

what are the chances of getting a ccw in carbon county?
    If you can pay the application fee (varies from county to county slightly) and can pass a background check similar to the requirements of purchasing a firearm, your chances are probably 100%

how long of a residency is needed for the hunting handgun permit?
    0 days, you could apply for a non-resident PA permit today if you wanted.

now the question is once i apply in pa for residency my nyc permit becomes void and since i may not qualify time wise in pa i may be permit less while waiting .
    That may be a NYC-specific rule, but as mentioned you could apply for a non-resident PA permit.

If you check out this thread: VA resident seeking PA CCW

You'll find that a member from Virginia recommended applying for a non-resident permit in Centre county, although technically I believe you can apply in any county, some are just more friendly about it.

any thoughts on coordinating this?
    If your NYC permit will become void while in the process of moving, apply for a non-resident permit and then once you move here apply for a resident permit. I'm not sure if there's a way to have it simply changed over, but it's a possibility.

All in all PA may seem a little strange to you since we are what many would call a "free state"

If you choose to move here I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of freedom you have here in regards to firearms compared to NY and especially NYC.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by danp; November 13th, 2006 at 10:35 AM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Berks County)

Oh great. More New Yorkers moving to PA...

Just kidding, I'm a transplant from NJ myself. And as far as your rights to own and carry guns, I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be disappointed with PA at all. Now that I'm here, I couldn't imagine moving back to NJ.

Welcome!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

It would be in your best interest to move to PA...NY and NJ firearm laws are really bad. Heck, I'd even suggest going class III if funds allow you to do so.

(Carbon County)

Welcome! Its always nice to have another PRO 2nd Amendment Voter...its the anti2nd -NewJermany/NY Crowd moving in I dont like
    You will find that there is an anti-NJ/NY attitude especially in CarbonCounty....in fact you are likely to be snubbed if you play up where you're from. Many towns even require a "Moving Permit" in which your last address is necessary. In order to easily assimilate I'd definitely go out of my way to avoid the "stereotypical NYer" image.
    There arent many members from Carbon County on the board but I hope you will be politically active in helping ensure our rights are preserved.
    Like Dan said you will be presently surprised! Its easy to get a License to carry! Since you want to keep your NY permit during moving I'd recommend the non-resident. I'm not sure they transfer into a resident one after you move, more fees might be involved. I'd call Sheriff Nothsteins Office and ask http://www.carboncountysheriff.com/pages/message.html
    Hope to see you on the boards and at the range!
    Christian
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Carbon County)

As far as I understand it, you need 2 Carbon Cty references for the LTCW, and there is an option for a non-resident permit. Pa. has no requirement to have a weapon in your home. I'm also originally from NYC, been here for about 3 yrs, but I still work in the city; so I'm here mostly on weekends or when I'm off of work. Good luck, I'm still trying to get my 2 ref's for the LTCW, although I'm a retired LEO from NY, they still require the 2 ref's....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo1 View Post
    As far as I understand it, you need 2 Carbon Cty references for the LTCW, and there is an option for a non-resident permit. Pa. has no requirement to have a weapon in your home. I'm also originally from NYC, been here for about 3 yrs, but I still work in the city; so I'm here mostly on weekends or when I'm off of work. Good luck, I'm still trying to get my 2 ref's for the LTCW, although I'm a retired LEO from NY, they still require the 2 ref's....
    I thought the references did not need to be from the county where you applied?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post

All in all PA may seem a little strange to you since we are what many would call a "free state"
    More free than some, but not free

You can easily get a LTCF and carry a gun almost anywhere.
    If you actually shoot someone with it, even if its justified, everything changes.

We have no castle doctrine or stand your ground laws in PA.

If you move here and decide to carry, make sure you understand exactly what circumstances allow you to use deadly force.
    Last edited by skyjerk; May 6th, 2009 at 02:46 PM.

Another New Yorker breaking out.............. good Lord. You'll be fine just realize off the bat the bagels suck and so does the pizza. As long as your not one of those "Thats how wees dids it in Naw York" New yorkers , welcome.
    As for your post, your in for a treat when you see how much less B.S there is here.

Broke out of Nazi Jersey since 2002.

(York County)

Don't even try and compare NYS or NYC gun laws with PA, it is night(NY in the dark ages) and day(Pa being 2A friendlier than NY). Wipe your mind of NY and read up on PA, trust me it is easier.
    RIP -The US constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast