Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utah CCw change

(Chester County)

Default Utah CCw change

So I recently took a Utah CCW course but haven't got off my ass to go get fingerprinted but just saw the Utah senate voted to change the permit process by requiring a permit in your home state first, etc...

it still needs to go to the house and then whatever comes next in the legal/law process so if I get off my butt and send it today, do you think I'll "get it in" before it's official.

Question is...I assume that it would be a bit before Utah got the changes in full force but what do you guys think. Is it worth sending in now right in the middle of a potential change? (and Yes, I do have a PA LTCF)
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Utah CCw change

It LOOKS like it wont go into effect until Jan 2012...

UT SB36

(York County)

I haven't read anything new on this for several days, so I may be a little behind the curve, but...

I thought the new Utah bill was supposed to prevent people from getting a Utah permit unless they had a permit/license from their own state.

So you wouldn't effect you anyway, right?

ETA: Looks like this is still the case. This was copy/pasted from the bill linked in mrjam2jab's post...

11 Highlighted Provisions:
    12 This bill:
    13 < requires a nonresident applicant for a concealed firearm permit to hold a current
    14 concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit from the applicant's state of
    15 residency that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has
    16 reciprocity with the Utah concealed firearm permit law; and
    17 < requires a nonresident applicant to pay an additional $5 processing fee for the
    18 issuance of the permit.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; February 1st, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Since you do have your PA LTCF, I'd just enclose a copy of that with your app and then you'll be covered if it goes into effect sooner.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacpiper View Post
    So I recently took a Utah CCW course but haven't got off my ass to go get fingerprinted but just saw the Utah senate voted to change the permit process by requiring a permit in your home state first, etc...

it still needs to go to the house and then whatever comes next in the legal/law process so if I get off my butt and send it today, do you think I'll "get it in" before it's official.

Question is...I assume that it would be a bit before Utah got the changes in full force but what do you guys think. Is it worth sending in now right in the middle of a potential change? (and Yes, I do have a PA LTCF)
    We can fingerpint you if needed for your Utah CFP Permit.

We included fingerprints in our Utah CFP courses.

Regards,

gbrown221
    Utah CFP Instructor
    (215) 310-5436 office
    info@team-life.org
    www.team-life.org

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I thought the new Utah bill was supposed to prevent people from getting a Utah permit unless they had a permit/license from their own state.
    First I saw this change - it's significant and has a lot of repercussions.

It closes the "Florida loophole" that Philadelphia has been screaming about - but it also means that residents of NJ, MD, and other states that don't issue carry permits (unless you've got friends in high places) can't get a Utah permit because they won't have one from their home state.

This is making the Florida and AZ permits look better and better. In my case it doesn't matter as I have my LTCF - but I can see it affecting a lot of others if this passes.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JR956678 View Post
    It closes the "Florida loophole" that Philadelphia has been screaming about
    No it doesn't.

It closes the "Utah loophole".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JR956678 View Post
    First I saw this change - it's significant and has a lot of repercussions.

It closes the "Florida loophole" that Philadelphia has been screaming about - but it also means that residents of NJ, MD, and other states that don't issue carry permits (unless you've got friends in high places) can't get a Utah permit because they won't have one from their home state.

This is making the Florida and AZ permits look better and better. In my case it doesn't matter as I have my LTCF - but I can see it affecting a lot of others if this passes.
    I'm still not 100% on how this law will work but the way I read it, it shouldn't affect people from states such as NJ and MD because those states do not recognize a Utah permit anyways. It looks like it's only designed to impact residents of those states which recognize the UT permit or have reciprocity with them. I would think that residents of states which don't recognize a Utah permit could still get one, though obviously it would not be valid within their home state.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan14 View Post
    I'm still not 100% on how this law will work but the way I read it, it shouldn't affect people from states such as NJ and MD because those states do not recognize a Utah permit anyways. It looks like it's only designed to impact residents of those states which recognize the UT permit or have reciprocity with them. I would think that residents of states which don't recognize a Utah permit could still get one, though obviously it would not be valid within their home state.
    Exactly right.

37 (ii) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed
    38 firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant shall:
    39 (A) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the
    40 appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency that recognizes
    41 the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm
    42 permit law; and

Well, that really sucks, as I currently hold a Utah permit, but live in New Jersey. It does not appear that the new requirements will invalidate a current permit, but the same requirements will apply when it is up for renewal. Maybe NJ will be "shall issue" by then

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast