Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need help finding a good fit for tiny hands

I'm 31 (not getting any bigger) 5'6" 130lbs. I have really small hands, I usually refer to them as "tiny little girl hands". They're much smaller than any other men I know and even most women for that matter. It doesn't really bother me.
    I am relatively new to shooting (I've learned a lot from this forum, thanks!), the first pistol I purchased was a Glock 19. This wasn't a great choice in the end. I have never been able to find a "comfortable" grip, and have difficulty working the magazine release (note: it is a stock mag release, so an extended one may help, but it's also a problem of reach, my thumb is short).

Ok, so here are my questions: Should I get a grip reduction or go to a new platform? As to grip reductions I'm not so much worried about how expensive they are (I know) but how effective? I'm leaning towards going in a different direction: Where should I be looking? I do have a preference for something with a hi cap double stack magazine (9mm) but I realize that I need to flexible on that point due to the whole small hands thing. Any and all advice welcomed, especially from people who also have (really) small hands.

(York County)

Default Re: Need help finding a good fit for tiny hands

You can, of course, do whatever you want and whatever works for you, but have you ever tried a pistol with a single-stack magazine?

...or a revolver?

My wife hated my XD45 because it felt so obviously too large in her hands. She could shoot it ok, but she wasn't crazy about it. We found her a used single-stack Beretta and let her shoot it before buying it, and she loved it. Although the grip appears to be just as large from the side, it is much thinner and she says it feels more like she is controlling it, rather than it controlling her.

Nice thing about a revolver is that the grip size is not determined by the fact that is has to contain a magazine.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Definitely check out single stacks (ala 1911). The Walther PPS is also a nice slim gun (S stands for slim).

(Montgomery County)

The one thing that I've learned by shooting for the past 14 years is that almost every gun is different, outside of make and model of course. And all of our hands are slightly different. This is why the manufacturers are now making many guns with various back straps of some sort.

Some people may say "this gun would be good for you, or that gun would be good for you." But in the end, only your hands know what's good for them. My suggestion is simple. You need to go to a gun shop and just start picking guns up to find one that fits your hand size. If you could find a shop that has an indoor range, that would be a plus. That way you could get better acquainted with the controls and firing as well.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Allegheny County)

I don't really have lots of experience with different types of pistols. I inherited a Colt Python from my grandfather and have used it a few times, it has the original wood grips so it's not great in my small hands either. I could easily put better grips on it, but I just don't think I'll ever be a revolver guy, I love the Python it's an amazing piece of American craftsmanship and has sentimental value as well, but it's never going to be my go to gun.
    I've never used a single stack auto, and I get the feeling that a 1911 may be the way to go in the end. I do plan to get hands on with various 1911's, if nothing else to see how well I can work the controls.

Quote Originally Posted by KMB View Post
    I inherited a Colt Python from my grandfather.
    Don't ever get rid of that gun!

On the issue of smaller frame guns, have you tried anything in the .380 flavor?

(Allegheny County)

Have you considered a Glock 26? The 4th Generation might work out for you?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    Don't ever get rid of that gun!
    Don't plan to

Anyway, yeah, I have shot a few really small .380s (lcp, ppk), no problems, but I'm looking for something more "full size" or a close as I'm gonna get for my hand size. I've also tried the g26 and for me it's even worse than the 19, the "bump" is even higher on the grip making it pretty much impossible to use the mag release without breaking my grip.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by KMB View Post
    Don't plan to

Anyway, yeah, I have shot a few really small .380s (lcp, ppk), no problems, but I'm looking for something more "full size" or a close as I'm gonna get for my hand size. I've also tried the g26 and for me it's even worse than the 19, the "bump" is even higher on the grip making it pretty much impossible to use the mag release without breaking my grip.
    I'm pretty sure that's the way they were designed. If you want to release the mag without breaking grip, you'd have to get the extended mag release.

Of course, that brings on other problems like possibly dropping your magazine in the snow without realizing it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by phillykev View Post
    Definitely check out single stacks (ala 1911). The Walther PPS is also a nice slim gun (S stands for slim).
    I have to second the recommendation for the PPS, or at least a single stack gun. I too have pretty small hands, and while I can shoot my full sized XD just fine at the range, I wasn't comfortable with the grip size while carrying it. I checked out the PPS and it fit perfectly in my hands, and it is now my everyday carry gun. With the finger extension magazine it fits 8 rounds, and if you feel you need more just carry an extra mag.

I think your best bet would be to go to a gun shop with a large selection and ask to see a bunch of guns that you like until you find the best fit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast