Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Question on shipping a Shotgun

Hey everyone I have a few questions on how to go about shipping a Longarm (Shotgun)...

1. The buyer if a Florida resident, so I have to ship to a FFL adress?

2. The man says he has a Fedex Business account so shipping would not be an issue, what is that and how do I ship with it?

3. Can i just package up my unloaded shotgun and drop it off at Fedex to be shipped? or do i have to take it to a FFL to ship?

4. Shipping ammo- I have to declare the box ORM-D correct? and pay the costs for shipping an explosive material right?

5. Also do i ship the gun in the factory box? or do i have to get a special box from fedex to pack it in? I heard somewhere you have to use a special water-applied tape to seal it with but im not sure.

EDIT: Posted more questions on Page 2.

Figured I ask here because I have no experience in shipping a firearm to a out-of-state buyer. So thanks for everyones help!!!
    Last edited by BandanaBandit1; January 30th, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Question on shipping a Shotgun

Yes, you have to ship to the address listed on the FFL Dealer's License. Only ship to that address on the license. Do not ship until you receive the ink-signed FFL Dealer's License copy. Check the license against the ATF's Website.

Ship in a regular sized box that is well packed. Go into FEDEX and tell them you are shipping a firearm to a licensed dealer, bring along a copy of their license for proof. I would also like to mention that FEDEX will only ship firearms priority overnight. You will also have to go to a FEDEX Hub and not a Mall Store. A FEDEX Business Account, I assume what he is referring to is that he will send you a shipping label or packing slip where he picks up the bill and you just bring down the label or packing slip with the box, but with this business account I' not sure exactly what he means, and too keen with that depending on his method on how it is being shipped to him.

You as an individual, have the right to ship your gun to an FFL Dealer, but you need to tell whatever carrier you use, in this case FEDEX that a firearm is in the box, it is unloaded, and going to thus dealer. Having a licensed dealer in your area shipping would be easier because you just drop the dealer's license and the piece off with them and they take care of the rest. A dealer route you might have to prebox it or provide a box and pay their fee in addition to shipping.

Shipping ammo, it has to be marked that it is hazardous material, it is best to once again tell the carrier that it is ammunition and it is going to an adult over 21. If it is an individual, have a photocopy of their driver's license sent to you. If it is the same dealer that is sending you the dealer's license, that would take care of that.But, ammunition cannot be shipped in the same box or container as the firearm. You have to create a separate shipment. FEDEX may or maynot accept ammunition for shipment. The US Postal Service is prohibited to send hazardous material.

I would not ship the gun just in the factory box because that is asking for it to get stolen. Put the gun in the factory box and then put it in a regular well-packed cardboard box that is inconspicuos. You are not required to use their boxes or packing, you can use your own.

The only other thing I have to add is that they may give you a big hassle shipping a firearm out in the first place; but I will tell you this much, stand your ground, tell them you are shipping this to a licensed dealer, and tell them it is a firearm in the box, don't tell them anything else i.e. that it is parts, tell them what it is because with some of these security people at these hubs may open up the box after you dropped it off and left, calling the police on you because they want to get their face on CNN.
    Last edited by sksman761; January 29th, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

This brings me to a question along the same lines. Is it the same deal within PA borders? Naturally I won't break any laws or regulations but since in PA a long gun can be transferred without an FFL, is it legal to ship private party to private party?
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    Hey everyone I have a few questions on how to go about shipping a Longarm (Shotgun)...

1. The buyer if a Florida resident, so I have to ship to a FFL adress?

2. The man says he has a Fedex Business account so shipping would not be an issue, what is that and how do I ship with it?

3. Can i just package up my unloaded shotgun and drop it off at Fedex to be shipped? or do i have to take it to a FFL to ship?

4. Shipping ammo- I have to declare the box ORM-D correct? and pay the costs for shipping an explosive material right?

5. Also do i ship the gun in the factory box? or do i have to get a special box from fedex to pack it in? I heard somewhere you have to use a special water-applied tape to seal it with but im not sure.

Figured I ask here because I have no experience in shipping a firearm to a out-of-state buyer. So thanks for everyones help!!!
    You'll use his account# to ship it meaning when you fill out the slip you put his acc# on the slip and he will be billed. Thats all I can help you with
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Naturally I won't break any laws or regulations but since in PA a long gun can be transferred without an FFL, is it legal to ship private party to private party?
    Yes. Exactly the same as if you were selling a cd, book, or other household item.

Non-FFLs can use the USPS to ship long guns.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

The ammo has to go ORM-D Small Arms Ammunition, and has to go through UPS or FedEx, it cannot go USPS.

Shipping interstate, it has to go to the FFL of the buyers choice. A PA intrastate (within PA borders) shipment can go directly from private party to private party, except for handguns, they have to go through a FFL or Sheriff Dept.

The shotgun can actually be shipped USPS (Priority Mail) if you want to , but you would be paying the shipping. If he has a FedEx account and gives you the account number, that is who is going to pay the FedEx bill. You can find boxes specially made for rifles/shotguns. Pack the shotgun in the original container and then put that container inside the other box. Pack it werll so that it doesn't shift around.

When shipping FedEx or UPS you will need to take it to the main shipping terminal. Satellite terminals (UPS Store, Mailboxes etc, Office Depot, etc.) WILL NOT handle this type of transaction.

If the person at the counter says anything to the contrary about shipping it, or wants to put something on the outside of the box, stop them right there and demand a supervisor. They are not allowed to put anything on the outside of the box that identifies the contents as a firearm. Also, make sure you insure it for the cost of replacement, or what you sold it for, whichever is higher.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Okay heres a few More Questions:

1. He wants the dimensions and weight of the boxes of ammo and guns, and he said hell email me 2 Fedex Shipping labels. (sounds about right)

2. He said he also wants the best adress for Fedex Pick Up & what time is best. (I didnt think i could ship a gun without taking it to their main terminal is this true?)

3. Paypal Adress and Bill of sale with Serial Number. (Is paypal a secure way to pay for something like this?, is their anyway the payment can be "fake"?, also why does he want a bill of sale if its getting transfered to a FFL?)

Does that sound like a legit deal?
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

1. He wants the dimensions and weight of the boxes of ammo and guns, and he said hell email me 2 Fedex Shipping labels. (sounds about right)

2. He said he also wants the best adress for Fedex Pick Up & what time is best. (I didnt think i could ship a gun without taking it to their main terminal is this true?)

3. Paypal Adress and Bill of sale with Serial Number. (Is paypal a secure way to pay for something like this?, is their anyway the payment can be "fake"?, also why does he want a bill of sale if its getting transfered to a FFL?)

Paypal doesn't allow you to pay for firearms through them(99% sure).
    Tell him postal money order.

Also make sure the addresses on the shipping label match the one from the ffl.
    Not sure about #2
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

#1, I don't see a problem, getting that info makes it easier for him to have the prepaid shipping labels done beforehand.

#2, with the prepaid shipping labels, there shouldn't be any problem with the FedEx driver picking it up. If YOU were taking it to FedEx to ship it and didn't have the shipping label, then you would have to take it to the shipping terminal. With the shippin label already attached, the driver should take care of it.

#3, PayPal would probably take care of it it if nothing is mentioned about firearms, etc. I just don't like PayPal and how they do business. I would ask for a USPS money order. You can tell him the bill of sale will be included in the package that you are sending to the FFL. I would want the MO in my hands before I shipped anything.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member