Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Walnut Market Robbery-Highland Park

Pittsburgh Bureau of Police - Zone 5
    Case Alert
    Walnut Market Robbery-Highland Park
    WALNUT MARKET ROBBERY

PITTSBURGH – The Pittsburgh Police are investigating a robbery that occurred in Highland Park this morning at a local store.

On Friday, November 30, 2007 at 10:22 am, Zone Five officers and paramedics responded to the Walnut Market at 5901 Bryant Street for a report of a male shot. When they arrived, they discovered that a 59-year-old male victim had been shot in the cheek. The victim was transported to UPMC Presbyterian with a gunshot to his cheek which also traveled through his neck. Early reports indicated that the victim was alert and conscious but he has been downgraded to critical condition.

Detectives learned that the victim was working behind the counter when the suspect approached the counter with some food items. The suspect pulled out a gun in an apparent robbery attempt and shot the victim in the face. The suspect fled the store following the shooting and it is unknown if anything was taken. Another employee was another section of the store at the time of the shooting and was not injured.

The suspect is described as a young black male, possibly 20 years of age, approximately 5’10 to 6”00 tall, with a mustache. He was last seen wearing a grey fleece coat with a black hooded sweatshirt underneath, and black sweat pants.

The identity of the victim has not been released and he remains in critical condition. Due to the victim’s condition, the Homicide Squad has been assigned to investigate this case.

At this time, an arrest has not been made.

The Pittsburgh Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspect in this case. Anyone with information related to the case contact the Pittsburgh Homicide Squad at.....
    -------------------------------------------------------

The apartment building where I live is close to this store. Heard from a freind the man who was shot is going to be OK. Thank god. All the guys in that place are good folks (they have great soup and other random home made food from time to time).
    Highland Park is a great place to live. It is really "safe". But even in those quiet places bad things happen.
    Pittsburgh is a strongly democrat town. Highland park is no exception. This city (like many other places) has a overabundance of "open minded" people. So F'n open...
    Any way I am trying to use this incident to talk to folks about our rights to defend ourselves. The knee jerk reaction around here is to call for no guns. Great thinking for a bunch of Martha Stewart fans who would line up in a orderly fashion to discard there undesirables. "Just like hazardous waste days" That is what I actually overheard the other day while trying to get some baked goods from the bakery across the street from where the shooting took place. (I tried to say something but these lady's wanted nothing to do with talking to me...) People are scared so easly.
    I know a few of yall (damn I should say yinz now...) live round here and just wanted to give a heads up. This place is a nice little store. I am certainly going to start shopping there more and ask that, if in the next few weeks, you fined yourself in need of cigs, sandwich, deli meat, or a nice walk, go in there and buy something. Tell the folks working you heard about what happend. Small business has enough problems in this country without people gettin shot in them...
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Walnut Market Robbery-Highland Park

Sorry for the duble post...Im kinda a computer idiot...Tryin to figure out how to close one but am not sure how to do that...again sorry...
    -A

(Westmoreland County)

I don't mean to be rude in asking this but can you include the original articles URL. I generally like to patronize local coverage by visiting the actual site and it makes following up on the story a little easier.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    I don't mean to be rude in asking this but can you include the original articles URL. I generally like to patronize local coverage by visiting the actual site and it makes following up on the story a little easier.
    Not rude at all. There is a list serve for highland park residents. My girlfreind subscribes to it and she recived this in an email with the headline
    Pittsburgh Bureau of Police - Zone 5
    Case Alert
    Walnut Market Robbery-Highland Park
    WALNUT MARKET ROBBERY
    I have been busy the last few days and havent had a chance to watch/read news i will google it now and post what i fined...
    -A

(Allegheny County)

Found it at KDKA
    http://kdka.com/local/robbery.Highla....2.599560.html
    I think this will work. Like i said im not so good with the computers...
    -A
    Its realy good to post the sorces of your info. Thank you for reminding me.

(Westmoreland County)

My mistake. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not very far from you so I find these things very interesting and scary as hell. I've been on vacation the last 11 days so I've missed all the current events.

Thansk for digging that link up. This is the most recent update I could find.

Post Gazette small update - man doing better - Dec 2

Best wishes to this guy and his family.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for posting the link to the most recent artical DFENS.
    Hope you had a good vacation. I to fined this type of incedent scarry as hell.
    -A