Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default 20g semi or over under?

I'm in the market for a 20g. I'm thinking at least a 22in barrel, up to 26in as I plan on shooting clay pigeon, small game/varmint with it. I definitely want a different sight than just bead.

I've been looking at the Mossberg SA-20 (semi auto), Weatherby Semi,along with the Mossy over/under.

Are there any advantages to an over under vs a semi? Disadvantages? Does anyone own semi 20g? Do they cycle reliably with target loads?

(Butler County)

Default Re: 20g semi or over under?

Well I am a 2 barrel type a guy but I prefer mine beside each other.
    Coffee fueled-Beer cooled

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by tntblaster View Post
    I'm in the market for a 20g. I'm thinking at least a 22in barrel, up to 26in as I plan on shooting clay pigeon, small game/varmint with it. I definitely want a different sight than just bead.

I've been looking at the Mossberg SA-20 (semi auto), Weatherby Semi,along with the Mossy over/under.

Are there any advantages to an over under vs a semi? Disadvantages? Does anyone own semi 20g? Do they cycle reliably with target loads?
    I like two 12 gauge barrels stacked, never have owned a 20 gauge, but perhaps what I say below can still have some merit.

It is really nice to have two different chokes when using an O/U, and the ability to select which barrel fires first. Only disadvantage I guess would be one less shot, but in my actual hunting experience if two did not do the job, three seldom did either. Also, in my experience, it seems 26" or shorter barrels in O/U's are in far less demand than 28", so if you have to sell it may be a bit harder. I have always had 28" or 30" FWIW.

SA has one extra shot; disadvantage might be what ammo you can/can't use to operate with extreme reliability, and only one choke. Another might be that a 28" barrel O/U, has about the same overall length as a 24" or so SA, and their balance characteristics are very different, as is felt recoil impulse (gas operated).

Shotgun fit and feel is so important, that this aspect is what would ultimately make the choice from me amongst any quality brand/model. IMO though, nothing feels more lively, dynamic, or connected as a nice O/U. Good luck with whatever you choose.

(Allegheny County)

With an O/U, it's going to function with ammo of any power level..I load a light 3/4 oz load for skeet and it won't reliably cycle my semi-auto. Also you'll spend less time cleaning. An O/U has to get incredibly cruddy to stop functioning.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.