Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking for an addition for CC

I bought a HK P30 .40 without seeing it, because nobody had one in stock at the time I wanted to order it. So I get it and it's the most awesome piece of over-engineering I've ever held in my hand, but I'm a small guy 5'7" 146lbs and I really can't carry the thing - I don't think at least. That kept me fro m committing to a holster for it thinking I'll just keep it for the home and put a laser/light combo on the rail.

Anyway, so last week I started looking into a subcompact and I think I decided that if I'm going to go small, I'd probably be better off with 9mm and get a round or two extra, so I did what I think is make another mistake - I put a deposit on a yet-to-be-seen Ruger LC9, which doesn't start shipping until Feb 1st. Yeah I know - I'm gonna get railed for buying two guns without ever seeing them in person.

I think I'm going to be OK with this 9 for very light Summer clothes, but I'd still like to get something in-between that and the HK that is in .40 that I can carry during cooler weather and I'm looking for suggestions. I don't want to have too much overlap between these three guns.

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for an addition for CC

I have purchased firearms before without seeing them first, but one thing I rarely ever do is purchase firearms that were just released. I usually wait for them kinks to get worked out. With that being said, all indications say that the Ruger is going to be a decent piece of work. Best of luck to you.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

A deposit on a gun that is yet to be seen is just that, a deposit. NO transfer took place, no contract was signed, no nothing. Just tell whoever you are purchasing the from that you would like to purchase a different firearm from them and use the already deposited funds toward this new purchase.

Year round carry piece, subcompact in .40 cal? A glock 27. You can CC IWB, OSW, ankle, belly band, or any other combination. You can Also OC said firearm, I do. 9+1 isn't bad for an all purpose .40 round count.

CL

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    A deposit on a gun that is yet to be seen is just that, a deposit. NO transfer took place, no contract was signed, no nothing. Just tell whoever you are purchasing the from that you would like to purchase a different firearm from them and use the already deposited funds toward this new purchase.

Year round carry piece, subcompact in .40 cal? A glock 27. You can CC IWB, OSW, ankle, belly band, or any other combination. You can Also OC said firearm, I do. 9+1 isn't bad for an all purpose .40 round count.

CL
    G27 rules. You can also get +2 factory mag extensions so you can carry 11+1 and carry a 15 round G22 mag or two for reloads. Now that's formidable.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Delaware County)

Why not find one gun that fits the bill and get a little experience carrying and training with it before going out and complicating things? Instead of 3 guns you could have 1 gun, a bunch of ammo and professional instruction for the same amount of money. Then when you finish doing that, you'll realize that you don't need a gun for each season.

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    Why not find one gun that fits the bill and get a little experience carrying and training with it before going out and complicating things? Instead of 3 guns you could have 1 gun, a bunch of ammo and professional instruction for the same amount of money. Then when you finish doing that, you'll realize that you don't need a gun for each season.
    going to have to disagree a little. Get one gun that you can carry summer , winter , rain or shine. Get proficient with it and then move on to range and or additional carry piece. What you give up to be able to carry every day , even after 6 months when the thrill has worn off will usually transfer into a pistol that is not the most fun at the range. vice-versa most range pistols are not the best to carry concealed and even open carried. I have two pistols that are less than in inch difference in barrel length but because one is alloy and not steel its night and day between carrying the two.

p.s. But victory is right you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don't practice and get some sort of formal training.
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Bucks County)

I've read some mixed reviews about the G27, so I'm not considering that right now, but I like it just from playing with it at the store. I was never a big fan of the safety features of them. I know it's all about treating a gun the right way and that you are the real safety, not a device, but the thought of shoving that thing in and out of spaces other than a perfectly fit holster doesn't not play well with me.

Anyway, I used to carry a full size 1911 .45 cocked and I feel safer with that than the Glocks. Just my opinion - I don't think they're for me.

I would like to keep the LC9 - it's cheap and the preliminary reviews are all positive, and it should be as reliable as other Rugers. That's going to be my jogging with shorts on in the summer gun.

One thing I learned from my 1911 days - I carried it maybe for 2 weeks before it never saw my side again, simply because of the size and weight. So I know myself well enough to know that one gun is not going to work for me.