Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non-resident LTC Question

Hi,
    I've been reading on a few New England forums that the non-resident LTC is going to change in the near future but I've been unable to get a solid answer on when the date is planned.

Many have spoken about sending their applications to Centre Cty. For non-res permits, is Centre Cty the sole distribution point in the Commonwealth or do I have a choice on where to send mine?

I haven't been able to get direct answers on the other forums and figure I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Non-resident LTC Question

Any county in the Commonwealth should issue LTCFs to nonresidents. Some do, some don't. All counties are required to move to a new system that will require you to appear in person by May. Centre County has a well-oiled machine with quick turnaround. You need a license/permit from your home state if they issue one (even in theory).

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/211.asp
    http://www.dennynau.com/

(Jefferson County)

You can apply at any sheriff. Centre CO isn't the only place, its just the place that is well known to issue to non-residents. Some sheriffs will not issue to non-residents even though it is a violation of state law to not issue. LTCF's are shall issue regardless of residence, its just that non-residents must have their license/permit from their home state first, if their home state issues a license/permit.

In the very near future all sheriff's will be converting to a new licensing system. This new system will require the person applying to do so in person - which will put an end to mail-in applications. Some sheriff's have already implemented the new system.

You will need to call around to see if whatever sheriff you choose issues to non-residents, and if they take mailed in apps.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mu2bdriver View Post
    Hi,
    I've been reading on a few New England forums that the non-resident LTC is going to change in the near future but I've been unable to get a solid answer on when the date is planned.

Many have spoken about sending their applications to Centre Cty. For non-res permits, is Centre Cty the sole distribution point in the Commonwealth or do I have a choice on where to send mine?

I haven't been able to get direct answers on the other forums and figure I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, here's what's going on.

[begin rant]

In 2005 a law was passed giving the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency authority "to standardize and modernize the process of issuing licenses to carry firearms" in Pennsylvania, "in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association" (yes the law has those quotes written the other way, sue me).

They took that to mean they could design whatever system they wanted even if it includes new requirements for applicants not found under existing law. Just like the Pennsylvania State Police think that their power to design the application form gives them the authority to require references and employment information, two bits of the application also not found in State law.

The law still doesn't say you have to apply in person, that aspect of the law never changed. However, what we're hearing from Sheriffs and other places is that this new system requires applicants to apply in person, at least for the initial application.

The new system ought to be fully implemented by May of this year, prior to then you may still be able to apply through the mail, and Centre County is the best place as a non-applicant to apply (despite the illegal $1 fee increase). The reason Centre County is considered friendly to non-residents is that many Counties, despite not having the lawful authority to do so, flat-out refuse to issue to non-residents.

PA has a problem, a problem of numerous agencies drunk with power but lacking in official authority, with no accountability. As much as it sucks for non-residents to try and deal with at least by law you can still go to any county to apply, us residents are stuck only able to apply in the County we reside.

My recommendation is to call the Centre County Sheriff's Office and see if they'll still take your application. If so, apply there and maybe in 5 years we'll have solved some of this mess for when you need to renew.
    [/rant]

Great explanations...thanks guys. Assuming all changes go through and continue unchanged 5 years from now, will all non-res permits theoretically have to be renewed in person?

Thanks again

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mu2bdriver View Post
    Great explanations...thanks guys. Assuming all changes go through and continue unchanged 5 years from now, will all non-res permits theoretically have to be renewed in person?

Thanks again
    There are just too many variables to assume that, but theoretically yes it's possible that could be the case.

(Bucks County)

Centre County is still taking apps. Print it out and send it in...with a copy of your CT permit.