Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Nearly 300 Guns Removed From Holmesburg Home

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — More than 250 weapons were removed from a home in Philadelphia’s Holmesburg section Tuesday after a burglary arrest led police to the residence.

Investigators removed over 200 rifles, assault weapons, machines guns and more than 50 hand guns from a row home on the 3600 block of Solly Avenue.

According to investigators, a burglary arrest prompted the trace of a stolen weapon, which led them to the Holmesburg residence.

Police say all of the weapons seized at the home were legally registered to Joseph Kelly, a 78-year-old retired Philadelphia Police Officer and Korean War veteran, who recently passed away.

Investigators tell Eyewitness News they believe the home was burglarized at least once and that many weapons are still unaccounted for and were possibly stolen from the home.

All of the weapons have been taken to the Philadelphia Police Firearms Identification Unit to be examined more thoroughly.

This incident remains under investigation.
    Link

The home was robbed on the 19th.

01/19/2011 09:52 PM
    Burglary: Night; Force: Prvt. Residence. Premises: Private Residence
    Case number: 201108002595

(Chester County)

Default Re: Nearly 300 Guns Removed From Holmesburg Home

I see the thieves of the Philly PD are at it again. They seized them for no reason. The guns were taken to the Firearms Identification Unit to be examined? Examined for what? The article already says the guns were "legally registered", so what else are they looking for? I'd be willing to bet they will never be released to the lawful owner, whom ever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    Examined for what? :
    bed bugs..theres been a lot of that shit going around lately..

sooo, he got robbed twice? his family will never see those guns again.
    whats the sense in even having a fricking safe if bigdick is going to come and take them anyway..think about it, you report a gun stolen, or like this guy, bigdick confiscates a gun used in a robbery, it turns out to be yours so they come to your house and take all the guns that "weren't" stolen
    FJB

(Bucks County)

who recently passed away
    So they guy is dead, and who is living there? Something is not clear here.

ETA: Just watched the video.

*PUKE*

Apparently he just died last weekend, and was in the hospital before then. The guns belong to his family, not the Philadelphia police. And how are they going to "trace them back?"

Oh yea, I love how they just toss them into the back of a pickup truck like they are a bunch of scrap wood or something
    Last edited by bac0nfat; January 26th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post

Oh yea, I love how they just toss them into the back of a pickup truck like they are a bunch of scrap wood or something
    and they are (by law) responsible for damage to the firearms.
    FJB

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    bed bugs..theres been a lot of that shit going around lately..

sooo, he got robbed twice? his family will never see those guns again.
    whats the sense in even having a fricking safe if bigdick is going to come and take them anyway..think about it, you report a gun stolen, or like this guy, bigdick confiscates a gun used in a robbery, it turns out to be yours so they come to your house and take all the guns that "weren't" stolen

Aptly stated, bogey1. What a bunch of thieves.

(Chester County)

Well hopefully he has at least one family member that cares about his gun collection and is willing to fight to get those back. Also nail those bastards to the wall

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    Well hopefully he has at least one family member that cares about his gun collection and is willing to fight to get those back. Also nail those bastards to the wall
    Hopefully a family member.....? A family member, aire to the will, would be very interested in such a collection. I don't care if the family member is Sarah Brady. That collection could be sold for tens of thousands of dollars. That is less the value due to damage caused by the Phila. P.D. Want to sue? Wait in a long long line.

That pick-up truck transport was for the sake of the mass media. So much for the carrying cases that those weapons were probably stored in.

Well, not knowing details, I can understand you alls opinions.

Playing devils advocate, though, I'd like to also add this. His house has been broken into, some of his collection stolen and used for crimes. It is possible that there is no one caring for the home at all, which basically leaves all those guns out for free picking by criminal elements. If that were the case (not saying it is, just saying it's possible) I'd prefer that someone, police in this case, put those guns in storage where criminals can't access them.

I'd hope the police would take care of them, and get them into the proper owners hands asap and with as little fuss as possible. From what you PA residents say, I gather that's not likely. Still, better in the polices hands where they might not be immediately used in crimes, than in criminal hands where they've already been used in crimes.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by new_shooter View Post
    I'd hope the police would take care of them, and get them into the proper owners hands asap and with as little fuss as possible. From what you PA residents say, I gather that's not likely. Still, better in the polices hands where they might not be immediately used in crimes, than in criminal hands where they've already been used in crimes.
    I wouldn't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    From the Inquirer, May 19, 1994:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

You have to pay to read it, but here's a snippet:

COLLECTOR WANTS PAYBACK FOR ILLEGALLY SEIZED GUNS \ FALSELY ACCUSED 23 YEARS AGO, HE SEEKS JUSTICE.
    1994-05-19

The highly publicized entry of his home and seizure of his guns was flatly illegal. Police had no warrant.

Fassnacht eventually was acquitted of all charges.

But prosecutors and lawyers for the city balked at returning his guns. They wanted assurances that Fassnacht would not sue the city for the illegal raid.

Fassnacht refused. That was in 1974.

For 18 years, police held his firearms collection.

It was not until 1989 that a Common Pleas Court judge ruled that Fassnacht's rights had been violated and ordered the return of the weapons.

When Fassnacht finally got the collection back, 18 pistols were missing, all the ammunition was ruined, leather accessories were rotten, optical equipment was damaged, gunstocks were gouged and scratched, metal parts were rusted and corroded, and his library of 500 books, pamphlets and technical bulletins on small arms was gone.

From the beginning, the city has refused to compensate him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast