Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPQ?

Default Walther PPQ?

I got the newest issue of Guns & Ammo today, and inside I saw an ad for a Walther PPQ, which seems to stand for Performance. Protection. Quality. according to the ad. The ad is pretty lacking on details, so I looked up a bit more online, but haven't found much info besides caliber offerings (9mm and 40) and some explanation of features. It seems like a cross between the PPS and P99, with the standard walther features (ambi mag release on trigger guard, removable backstrap) but has a new "Walther Quick Defense Trigger".

Anyone see/hear about this thing? I'd love to hear what others have to say about it, and if someone knows more, I'd love to know what one if these things will cost and when it'll be available. I found a few pics of this gun, and one of them seems to have an extended, threaded barrel, which would be a nice selling point for me.

I love my PPS, and Walthers in general, so the PPQ looks promising to me. What does everyone else think?

(York County)

Default Re: Walther PPQ?

I like the grip, but the huge slide serrations are just ugly, and the trigger is supposed to be similar to a Glock. From what I've been able to find, the trigger is decocked by pulling back the slide slightly, so press checking the gun makes it useless unless you rack the slide again to re-cock the trigger. I'm ordering a P99AS in case they discontinue it for the PPQ.

(Cumberland County)

Looks like the bastard love child of an HK P30 and a Walther P99...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Looks like the bastard love child of an HK P30 and a Walther P99...
    I'm not familiar with the HK P30 so I looked it up. I have to agree with you, it really does look like a mix between those 2 guns. Not sure about size comparison though with either, but it looks to be about the same size as the P99. The styling it has in common with the P30 is nice though, like the trigger guard and grips, but the really long slide stop is pretty ugly.

(Philadelphia County)

These gun makers are running out of ideas to keep the ADD-riddled population's attention. When it comes to firearms, more is not necessarily better. Which is why I'm a big Glock fan (at least Glock Gen. 3). KISS = keep it simple, stupid!

Now if they actually found a way to make functional changes that make the gun work better, then I'll look at it. Other than that, it looks to me that Walther (and all the others) are selling snake oil.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post

I love my PPS, ]
    Me too....don't hear much about them on this forum.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
    From what I've been able to find, the trigger is decocked by pulling back the slide slightly, so press checking the gun makes it useless unless you rack the slide again to re-cock the trigger.
    That alone would make this pistol completely inappropriate for serious use. Not so much the press check thing, but can you imagine trying to take a contact shot if moving your slide out of battery decocked your gun?
    Last edited by victory; January 27th, 2011 at 09:46 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I'm not familiar with the HK P30 so I looked it up. I have to agree with you, it really does look like a mix between those 2 guns. Not sure about size comparison though with either, but it looks to be about the same size as the P99. The styling it has in common with the P30 is nice though, like the trigger guard and grips, but the really long slide stop is pretty ugly.
    I agree that the slide stop should be smaller, but it seems that most or all P99's now come with the ambi slide release, so looks like I'm stuck with getting one with it, and it still looks slightly smaller than the one on the P30.

(Monroe County)

My rental range has one. But it's the copied version that Magnum Reasearch calls the Baby Desert Eagle. Not to confused with the Baby Eagle which was a IMI Jericho. Personally I hate the gun. It has a retarded long double action trigger pull. The single action pull is almost as bad. The gun has a decocker button similar to the HK P30. It's a striker fired but can be decocked, or can strike a dud round a second time. It feels like it's made out of more plastic then a playskool toy. The sights are cheap plastic with painted white dots.

It shoots semi accurate enough but only after quite a few rounds to get used to the trigger pull.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

As soon as I saw this thread I said to myself, Someone got their Guns & Ammo catalog today. So did I. I thought the same thing when I saw it. I thought it looked decent, but I stopped after the lack of information on the ad. Interesting to say the least...

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast