Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Enfield No.1 Mk.III sticky bolt

I have a 1940 Lithgow Enfield No.1 Mk.III. The problem I am having is that any time I load a round, the bolt is hard to push down. Then, without firing the round, if i try to eject it, the bolt is still kind of hard to pull out. Is this just a sticky bolt problem or is it a headspacing issue? ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!! Thank you!

(York County)

Default Re: Enfield No.1 Mk.III sticky bolt

I had an Enfield with what sounds like the same problem. It may be that your bolt is actually too snug a fit. The bolt on the Enfield series moves forward ever so slightly when closed and when you lift it to open it. This would cause the bolt to crush against the rim of the cartridge and freeze up since you don't have the strength to crush a cartridge rim.

Do you have a set of headspace gauges? Try using a no-go gauge and see how far you can close the bolt on it. If you can't the handle to even start coming down you have a very tightly fitted bolt. (The idea behind the no-go gauge is that you close bolt with one in place. A gun in proper headspace will not fully close, but if it does your gun is out of spec.)

If this indeed is what your problem is, then try shopping around for a different bolt head. Enfield bolts are sized. The bolts on the No.1 Mk III series are NOT marked like the No. 4 & 5 bolt heads are (and NO the bolt heads are very different, don't buy a numbered bolt head for a No. 4 rifle). The unit armorer would use his set of gauges to check rifles when in depot, and change bolt heads as needed to get the rifle in a happy medium between too loose and too tight.

Remember, rimmed cartridges headspace on the case rim and the case expands out to fill the chamber when fired.

Anyway, I'm not going to say here that this is your problem, but when I had something like it, my solution was to use my Lyman calipers to measure the bolt head, and find a parts dealer with a bin of spare bolt heads for the No.1 Mk III series rifle. With his approval I kept trying different bolt heads with my no-go gauge until I had one that was just loose enough to push the bolt partway down with the gauge in place. It solved the problem with my rifle.

You might also look around for a gunsmith to check out your rifle, especially if you don't have any gauges and want to be absolutely sure you're doing things safely.

Hope this advice helps you.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Enfield No.1 Mk.III sticky bolt

wow, thank you for the info! yea that actually helps out a lot. I just cleaned my bolt up and gave the receiver a good cleaning as well (just got the rifle 2 days ago) and it loosened it up a bit. Still requires somewhat of a nice tug to open, but ill look into a parts dealer or a gunsmith like you recommended. thanks again!